• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who should the Angels #1 starting pitcher free agent target be?

mmc

Who should our #1 target in free agency be?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who should our #1 target in free agency be?

• Max Scherzer
    • Clayton Kershaw
    • Zack Greinke
    • Noah Syndergaard
    • Robbie Ray
    • Kevin Gausman
    • Marcus Stroman
    • Carlos Rodon
    • Other

1272139020.jpeg

The past two years had a clear cut starter that was at the top of their class (Cole and Bauer), but this year it’s a little more up for debate.  Sure you could make the argument that it’s Scherzer based on performance this year, but with his age being a risk is he truly the best target when he could easily decline as soon as next year when you could potentially get several great seasons out of a Ray or Gausman?  

Vote for the pitcher who, in your mind, is the best for fit for us to pursue in free agency.  Please do not just simply state who the best pitcher is in your answer, vote based on a combination of you think is the best, who you think WILL be the best over their contracts, expected contract length, etc.

With your parameters, it was down to Scherzer or Stroman. I went with Scherzer.

He is the best pitcher, he has been the most durable of all those pitchers, and I think he'll be able to pitch well for many more years as he ages because he has elite command, has multiple good pitches, and knows how to PITCH.

You're probably looking at a shorter term, high AAV for him. Which would suit the Angels well. You don't want to be stuck with years 5-7 for a pitcher.

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think Stroman may be the most likely, but I'm not sure how great of a fit he is unless the Angels clean up their infield defense. (They need a good defensive SS, health, and better defensive positioning)

Totally agree with this and mentioned in another thread.  Without an upgrade to the infield defense and/or positioning, signing Stroman would be pointless, given how much of a groundball pitcher he is.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Totally agree with this and mentioned in another thread.  Without an upgrade to the infield defense and/or positioning, signing Stroman would be pointless, given how much of a groundball pitcher he is.

Agree totally. I was all about him two years ago when it looked like Simba and Fletcher were going to be locking down the defense for a few years... but now it feels like a mistake. 

I half expect us to over pay Rodon... I have no reason for thinking this. 

Have to imagine that Syndergaard and Rodon can be had for less that what Scherzer/Kershaw/Ray would get. Though a risk.....

Go with one of them, re-sign Cobb and then swap a trade for someone like Mayer and you've got one hell of a rotation. 

Ohtani/Thor/Cobb/Sandoval/Detmers/Meyer. (plus Suarez/Rodriguez/Bachman can be used in bullpen if needed)

My #1 is Scherzer - he's the best, and brings some toughness to the rotation.  And he comes without the loss of a draft pick

That's without considering financial considerations - but if he were to come here, it shouldn't be because we offer him the most money, it's because he sees an opportunity with a team of Trout/Ohtani/Rendon, some good-upside youngsters, and the makings of a good rotation.  

But Stroman and Gausman might be more realistic - I get the idea Stroman might want to come here, but I think I prefer Gausman - he misses bats

I'd like to consider Snydergaard - but don't see it working - wouldn't give up a draft pick and intl bonus pool money for him if the Mets extend a QO - he's a risk, and not gonna give him a long-term deal

we need an absolute stud at the top of our starting six. we'll be bidders and go hard after a few of these guys, but after the disappointment of the last few years, i'm setting my expectations far lower. thus, why i'm looking at verlander.