• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How aggressive do you expect Minasian to be this offseason?

mmc

Chuck
This post was recognized by Chuck!

mmc was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

download (17).jpeg

As we all know Minasian made a lot of moves however most of them were relatively minor, though he did get us a true above average closer, something Eppler never did.  But in terms of making bold, major trades and signings, we didn't see much of that.  Now I am not blaming him for not doing this as I can understand wanting to get a better feel for the organization before moving out significant pieces but now that he's past that stage and the team is still in need of major improvements, do you expect him to get more bold with the moves he makes?  Or do you expect an offseason similar to last year's?

If you believe he will follow in the foot steps of AA whom he worked for then I would say the chances are very good he will do something bold.  The problem is defining bold.  What if he traded Adell or Marsh for Meyer as was rumored at the deadline?  To me that is bold.  Hell knowing what Iglesias became, that is a BIG move, although in the moment may not have seemed like it.  But yea, I expect something bold.  We could see something where he goes out and upgrades a position we don’t think needs to be upgraded.  He could go after a starting catcher that relegates Stassi to back up.  He could even go after a guy that he believes should start over Walsh at 1st base.  I could even see some strange move that has Upton going to SD with others, in exchange for a salary dump of Hosmer and someone like McKenzie Gore.  

The one big issue is the CBA's pending expiration. That might just slow everything down completely, for all teams.

If that's not an issue, or once we get past that, I think he will be aggressive. I believe that because he has worked under Alex Anthopoulos, who is extremely aggressive, in Toronto and Atlanta.

Now that he knows what he needs, I think he'll try and go get what he needs. It might be harder to do that in free agency, but it can at least be be done in trades.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I could even see some strange move that has Upton going to SD with others, in exchange for a salary dump of Hosmer and someone like McKenzie Gore.  

If Arte doesn't go out and get a free agent shortstop, I wonder if Minasian looks to acquire Ha-seong Kim or Paul DeJong in a trade to be the starting SS.

Those two both have contracts that overpay their current performance, but they're good defensively and you're betting on offensive upside with them. I also think you could get prospects or some sort of assets to take on Kim, and maybe even DeJong. (which is along the lines of what you're saying)

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

If you believe he will follow in the foot steps of AA whom he worked for then I would say the chances are very good he will do something bold.  The problem is defining bold.  What if he traded Adell or Marsh for Meyer as was rumored at the deadline?  To me that is bold.  Hell knowing what Iglesias became, that is a BIG move, although in the moment may not have seemed like it.  But yea, I expect something bold.  We could see something where he goes out and upgrades a position we don’t think needs to be upgraded.  He could go after a starting catcher that relegates Stassi to back up.  He could even go after a guy that he believes should start over Walsh at 1st base.  I could even see some strange move that has Upton going to SD with others, in exchange for a salary dump of Hosmer and someone like McKenzie Gore.  

It would certainly be a breath of fresh air if he’s as good as AA at free agency.  No long term free agent deals, load the crap out of one year deals for premium players, though of course you can’t be Eppler bad at identifying which to do this with or it doesn’t work.  Approach free agency like the Braves did with their short term deals to d’Arnaud, Donaldson, Ozuna, Morton, all of which worked out great, only do long term once they’ve proven they fit the club.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’m sure they are pumped to have Ozuna. 

My post was about 1 year deals, on his one year, $18 million deal he batted .338 and led the NL in home runs.  Don’t see how what happened once he signed the long term is relevant

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

We could see something where he goes out and upgrades a position we don’t think needs to be upgraded.  He could go after a starting catcher that relegates Stassi to back up.  He could even go after a guy that he believes should start over Walsh at 1st base.  I could even see some strange move that has Upton going to SD with others, in exchange for a salary dump of Hosmer and someone like McKenzie Gore.  

Great points, I was actually thinking this earlier today. He will look for moves to make the team better, and it might be something totally unexpected. I think the only three guys on the roster who are truly safe are Trout, Rendon and Ohtani. 

I think he will aggressively pursue the players he wants in order to fill the needs the Angels have. Don’t all GM’s do that? It’s just a matter of budget, player interest, timing and opportunity.

I expect him to improve the team, just like I expect that from the GM every year.

if he follows the Braves model, we should see some early activity during the Hot Stove season.

11 hours ago, ukyah said:

i actually have zero expectations.

This is where I am.   Nothing to do with Minasian, everything to do with the person he has to answer to.   That dude hasn't seen the forest for the trees for a long time.  Other that possibly hearing Ohtani spell it out that he's tired of having nothing to play for, I don't think anything will change there.  Add to that the uncertainty regarding the CBA I can't see the Angels being "aggressive" and then having the rules change in such a way that they screwed themselves.

You want to see them go out hard, but history is what it is.

Very aggressive.  I expect him to buy out Upton's no-trade clause, and move him to another team.  

If Scherzer files for free agency, I expect both he and Arte to be involved in that process, heavily.  

Minasian will also have to determine who our SS will be going forward, if Rengifo, then more assets to address the SP problem.

If not, then Correa, Seager, or Baez.  I would bring back Cobb and Bundy, mostly to fill out the last two rotation spots, reserving the first 4 for Max, Ohtani, Sandoval, and whoever between Canning and Detmers. 

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

Do you really think it's Arte who makes the decision to bring in all of these shitty pitchers? I don't. It's all on the GM's.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Minasian continued Eppler's pattern of signing 1-year deals for pitchers. Arte can absolutely tell his GM, "I don't want you to spend more than x amount on a starting pitcher," and the GM has to work within that budget.

Just now, Taylor said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Minasian continued Eppler's pattern of signing 1-year deals for pitchers. Arte can absolutely tell his GM, "I don't want you to spend more than x amount on a starting pitcher," and the GM has to work within that budget.

Yes, the GM is given a budget - all GMs are. It's then up to them how the utilize it. 

25 minutes ago, Lou said:

Do you really think it's Arte who makes the decision to bring in all of these shitty pitchers? I don't. It's all on the GM's.

No, and your reading skills are usually better than this. 

What I'm saying is I doubt he has the autonomy to go be "aggressive" like is being asked here.

Got any other Clod level comments or did you get it out of your system?

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree

I've actually not had issues with the methodology employed.  Those are the things GMs are forced to do when ownership has a penchant for putting fan experience and players to root for ahead of actually building long term success.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think the GM is told you can spend $10 million on a starting pitcher, $8 million on a closer, $3 million on a catcher, $2 million on a SS.  He’s told you can add $23 million in payroll.  If you want to spend more share your plan and we can have a discussion.  

Do you think an owner is ever capable of looking at his franchise, realizing mistakes have been made and thought -- okay, we have a window to fix this or we can just keep pushing the pile forward?