• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is this the longest year or what?

Torridd

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

To assume the defense is going to get better next year is just so difficult.  They could revamp their process and make a huge difference or they could be pig headed and force a similar approach thinking it will work next time.  

Defence in the outfield at the start of the year was okay then on a 1-5 scale it was a scrambled mess but these are snapshots.

Upton 3 Trout 5 Fowler 3

Upton 3 Lagares 3 Ward 2

Gosselin 2 Lagares 3 Rojas 2

Adell 4 Marsh 5 Lagares 3

Next season will probably start Upton, Trout, Adell and probably by mid season look like Trout, Marsh, Adell. That would be a huge upgrade in balls caught and runners kept in check. 

In the infield the absence of Rendon has created a rotation of below league average players both on offense and defense. Shortstop with Iglesias was not great but I'm with @Inside Pitch that defensive alignments often were situational imperfect. 2nd base with Fletcher is pretty strong so no change required. Walsh has really improved defensively at 1st base where I'd rate him above league average.

Backup catcher has to be addressed. Kurt Suzuki was a complete disaster defensively and the minors won't be providing a solution. This is another critical expense otherwise any pitchers acquired with be saddled with playing two games, one is against the offense and the other with their defense. 

So for the infield the Angels need a shortstop and catcher. I don't have faith that Rengifo can be a shortstop but serves the utility role well enough that Goose and Mayfield are expendable. Two players instead of 6 from a few years ago makes this off season workable. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Interesting that his exhaustion only affects him the 4 times he bats (1 of which he didn't face a pitch) and not the 8 innings he pitched. 

Quite strange. 

The previous two starts after the 117 pitch outing were meh.

What else then has caused the big big drop since August 1?

Only other thing I can think of is what Walsh went through in July/August, before recovering in September?   A swing/approach adjustment?

Edited by Angel Oracle

21 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The pitching has been middle of the pack this season.  It's actually a big step forward for the starters.  The pen was basically one guy for about 80% of the year.  The offense lost what should be their two best players.  

The defense cost this team 7-8 games at the very least.  Health and some better players might make a huge difference.  Or it might make a small one for the better.  

To assume the defense is going to get better next year is just so difficult.  They could revamp their process and make a huge difference or they could be pig headed and force a similar approach thinking it will work next time.  

When the team wasn't very good a few years ago, the process to make them better and the approach they took to do so was actually somewhat predictable and made sense.  

Based on what Minasian did this year and with how Joe manages coupled with Arte being Arte, I literally have no idea what direction this team is headed for.  It wouldn't surprise me if they won 95 games next year.  It also would surprise me if they lost 95.  That's pretty much how confused I am with this team.  

This team is not capable of losing 95 games unless they have an even worse injury rash next year.

20 hours ago, mmc said:

I regret to inform you that not even the Pirates can claim that, they were above .500 in 2018.  The Phillies finished an even 81-81 in 2019, otherwise you could lump them in with us.  Same with KC finishing 81-81 in 2016.  But alas, they did not, so the Angels are actually the SOLE team to have all of their last 6 seasons be losing seasons (provided we finish with a losing record this year).  Just think about that.  We've had the best player in the league since 2012 and we currently hold this longest losing season streak.  

One player can't determine the win-loss record. We haven't had the pitching since Trout's arrived on the scene. I think the drought ends next year.