• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Jared Walsh heats up with renewed hitting strategy

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — Jared Walsh stopped his second-half slide by rediscovering the left side of the field.

Although the Angels’ first baseman made the All-Star team, his numbers had been in a steady decline until a few weeks ago. The difference is that Walsh made a conscious effort to hit the ball to the left side again.

“I was to the point where I was way too pull heavy,” the left-handed hitter said. “I know that throughout my career when I’ve been good, left-center is really where I try to drive the ball. Early work with the staff got me back, driving the ball in the middle of the field. There’s just a lot more hits over there.”

In September, Walsh has pulled the ball just 27.6% of the time. Previously, his lowest percentage of pulled balls was 38.9% in May. The other four months were all 40% or more.

Walsh was hitting .333 with a .988 OPS in September. Both are his best marks for any month this season.

All of this comes on the heels of stretch from the All-Star Game until the end of August when Walsh hit .226 with a .645 OPS.

He said he hopes the way he got out of the slump will be instructive so he can correct himself more quickly next time.

“To be completely honest, you know at some point, you’re going to go through a stretch where you don’t feel like yourself,” he said. “It was one of those things. I think overall in the grand scheme of things, it’s gonna be very positive for me. It’s gonna make me stay on a routine and know what I’m good at, using the whole field as opposed to getting a little pull happy. So I think that’s something I’ll reflect on in the future and understand if I worked my way out of it, I can always do it again.”

CAMPAIGNING

Joe Maddon opened up his media session with an unsolicited speech about second baseman David Fletcher’s candidacy for the Gold Glove.

The award is determined by a combination of voting of managers and coaches (75%) and a formula using a variety of defensive metrics (25%). As of Aug. 22, the last results that were public, Fletcher ranks seventh in the metrics.

“If you’re just going to go by a generated numerical metric number, you’re going to be deceived often,” Maddon said. “Trust me on that.”

Maddon added that it would “an absolute shame” if Fletcher didn’t win the Gold Glove.

“Don’t tell me there’s anybody out there in both leagues that plays the position better than he does,’ Maddon said.

SUSPENDED

Chicago White Sox right-hander Mike Wright was suspended for three games on Sunday, the result of him hitting Shohei Ohtani with a pitch Thursday afternoon. White Sox manager Tony La Russa was suspended for one game.

Wright appealed his suspension. Managers can’t appeal suspensions.

Wright was ejected after he hit Ohtani in the ninth inning Thursday, which Angels manager Joe Maddon believed was in retaliation for the Angels hitting three White Sox players Tuesday. Maddon said those were all unintentional.

ALMOST BACK

Left-hander Reid Detmers threw a 40-pitch simulated game and right-hander Austin Warren threw a 17-pitch simulated game, as both players move closer to a return to the lineup from the injured list.

Maddon said Warren is scheduled to be activated Monday and Detmers will have another simulated game and then be activated next weekend.

Both players tested positive for COVID-19 and had to quarantine for 10 days, setting back their throwing.

ROSTER MOVE

The Angels recalled right-hander Cooper Criswell and optioned left-hander Jhonathan Diaz. Criswell made one start earlier this month, and Diaz made his big-league debut with a start Friday night.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 9-2, 3.36) vs. A’s (RHP Frankie Montas, 12-9, 3.72), 1:07 p.m. Sunday, Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

10 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

The award is determined by a combination of voting of managers and coaches (75%) and a formula using a variety of defensive metrics (25%). As of Aug. 22, the last results that were public, Fletcher ranks seventh in the metrics.

“If you’re just going to go by a generated numerical metric number, you’re going to be deceived often,” Maddon said. “Trust me on that."

Lol.....  Guess that's why they ignore the data and do the opposite of what it's telling them to do so often.