• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Thaiss

mmc

Is anyone else surprised he’s only played 2 games in the majors this season?  With all young players who haven’t gotten looks I don’t get why he wasn’t given an extended look.  I suppose there’s still time for it but seeing as we like to start Mayfield every day for some reason it’s looking less and less likely.  Maybe Minasian just isn’t high on him?

I'm not surprised. This season, he has primarily been making the conversion back to catcher and is only playing 1B out of necessity. He's not playing 3B anymore, and they aren't trying him out at 2B and LF anymore (like they did last season).

Stassi's rightfully the starting catcher in the majors, and they seem to love Kurt Suzuki as a backup catcher. So Thaiss is just getting the majority of starts at C in the minors. The 2 games he came up and played 1B were out of necessity, when Walsh and Rojas (the only other first basemen besides Gosselin) were hurt.

51 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

They will need to decide in the off-season whether to keep him as the #2 catcher, or trade him and bring in a veteran #2 catcher.

No room for him in the field otherwise

Or keep him as a primary catcher in AAA next year, in case they can’t re-sign Stassi and he walks after 2022.

I can’t imagine Thaiss’ 400 or so innings catching - for the first time since in college some five years ago - is enough to even grade him out as a legitimate MLB back-up yet, especially given how critical the Angels’ need is for good defense behind the plate. 

If he isn’t part of a trade, best to either have him at SLC next year getting everyday catching reps in, or revert him back into a 1B/3B/3rd string C type.