• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reasons for optimism, part 263...

WicketMaiden

Some encouraging signs from a few young players that will be central to our success next year. Over the last 15 days:

Walsh - .371 / .450 / 1.079 OPS

Adell - .367 / .406 / 1.140 OPS

Rengifo - .290 / .343 / .924 OPS

Marsh - .262 / .296 / .700 OPS

Promising stuff! If we can get this sort of production alongside Trout, Ohtani, Fletch, and Rendon next year, then it should be a blast. 

Having a MLB infield and outfield, instead of AAA replacements, rotating through the roster causing havoc, would definitely improve the Angels competitiveness. I think Adell and Marsh have solidified their chances for being on the roster next season, although only one of them may break camp in spring training while the Angels sort through how to deal with Trout and Upton.

If Trout moves to left then Upton slides to right and Marsh takes over in center. That leaves Adell in Salt Lake until an injury or Upton has proven he can't play the position. If Trout stays in center then it is a coin flip on Marsh or Adell in right field.

What you may not see is either of those two on the bench waiting for consistent playing time and relegated to 4th outfielder. The Angels will probably give one of the two Salt Lake playing time to stay sharp. And, no, Upton is not starting the season as a 4th outfielder. That is just reality over fantasy that the Angels will bench him from day one to play rookies. He will either keep his position by production or he is going to have to lose that role by sub standard play. 

As for Rengifo. I've been one of the few that has been championing the little squirrel of a player. He is as close to Erick Aybar as the Angels have had in the minors and if he were a polished product then there would be no need for a free agent hole fill. But he seems to be just one notch from a starting SS. It's a pretty big dice roll to pencil him in as the starting SS but it would be in my mind a no brainer to make him the utility infielder to cover 3rd, SS and 2nd base. Both Fletcher and Rendon are going to need days off. I don't see Mayfield or Goose holding down the SS position. 

The problem is there are too many very expensive free agent shortstops on the market and Arte is pretty bad about staying focused on pitching. Minasian is going to have a tough time talking him down from the wall on buying up a Correa, Seager or Story for $30 million a year and then seeing in three years they no longer have the range for the position. That player also holds up the Ohtani extension since Upton's last season and Rendon's three more are on the books. So Perry needs to find a shortstop on a budget price to afford Ohtani and a front line pricher.

This winter is going to be interesting to watch develop. 

8 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Couple that with Suarez/Sandoval/Rodriguez/etc on the pitching side and the farm system has been producing some very promising results. Now if we can just avoid the free agent market we might have a competitive team.

Also need to avoid the incredible amount of injuries. We cannot have much of the team on the IL for weeks at a time, or as the case with Trout, months with no end in sight.

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Having a MLB infield and outfield, instead of AAA replacements, rotating through the roster causing havoc, would definitely improve the Angels competitiveness. I think Adell and Marsh have solidified their chances for being on the roster next season, although only one of them may break camp in spring training while the Angels sort through how to deal with Trout and Upton.

If Trout moves to left then Upton slides to right and Marsh takes over in center. That leaves Adell in Salt Lake until an injury or Upton has proven he can't play the position. If Trout stays in center then it is a coin flip on Marsh or Adell in right field.

What you may not see is either of those two on the bench waiting for consistent playing time and relegated to 4th outfielder. The Angels will probably give one of the two Salt Lake playing time to stay sharp. And, no, Upton is not starting the season as a 4th outfielder. That is just reality over fantasy that the Angels will bench him from day one to play rookies. He will either keep his position by production or he is going to have to lose that role by sub standard play. 

As for Rengifo. I've been one of the few that has been championing the little squirrel of a player. He is as close to Erick Aybar as the Angels have had in the minors and if he were a polished product then there would be no need for a free agent hole fill. But he seems to be just one notch from a starting SS. It's a pretty big dice roll to pencil him in as the starting SS but it would be in my mind a no brainer to make him the utility infielder to cover 3rd, SS and 2nd base. Both Fletcher and Rendon are going to need days off. I don't see Mayfield or Goose holding down the SS position. 

The problem is there are too many very expensive free agent shortstops on the market and Arte is pretty bad about staying focused on pitching. Minasian is going to have a tough time talking him down from the wall on buying up a Correa, Seager or Story for $30 million a year and then seeing in three years they no longer have the range for the position. That player also holds up the Ohtani extension since Upton's last season and Rendon's three more are on the books. So Perry needs to find a shortstop on a budget price to afford Ohtani and a front line pricher.

Really good post and I agree with most of it.  The one area I would disagree with is I would not be at all surprised if Upton starts the year as a 4th outfielder.  I could see it starting as a platoon with Marsh and then slowly turning into him being the guy that gives the other 3 a day off.  With Marsh being able to play all three positions, it offers that type of option.  

53 minutes ago, Blarg said:

good post.

like a lot of people here, i'd forgotten about upton. it'll be tricky dealing with him because of his NTC.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

good post.

like a lot of people here, i'd forgotten about upton. it'll be tricky dealing with him because of his NTC.

Even if he were to accept a trade his performance and recent injury history does not entice any teams to talk unless the contract is nearly fully funded by the Angels. Even at that the return would be negligible. For those reason I doubt he is moved.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Upton won't be an Angel next year

I believe this might be the case, I have an idea of a team that might want him and could move a prospect providing the Angels pay his way....  But why do you think this is the case.

FTR, I don't think Upton is ready to retire after next season, but the best way to guarantee himself a contract for 2023 is to play everyday in 2022, which might not be a possibility on the Angels.  On those grounds he might be willing to waive his NTC, if he's ready to call it career, that changes everything.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I believe this might be the case, I have an idea of a team that might want him and could move a prospect providing the Angels pay his way....  But why do you think this is the case.

FTR, I don't think Upton is ready to retire after next season, but the best way to guarantee himself a contract for 2023 is to play everyday in 2022, which might not be a possibility on the Angels.  On those grounds he might be willing to waive his NTC, if he's ready to call it career, that changes everything.

Is that team the Giants?

Just now, Stradling said:

Is that team the Giants?

Marlins.   

They have a young core of OFers coming, they have been yapping about needing a veteran to help ease them into MLB.  They have specifically said the would like a character guy, who may have gone through similar things coming up.  Upton is a big time character guy who broke into MLB at age 19.

They have been making some very specific comments about adding vets on expiring contracts, adding power, mentioned being willing to deal from their minor league strengths to acquire what they want vs FA.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Marlins.   

They have a young core of OFers coming, they have been yapping about needing a veteran to help ease them into MLB.  They have specifically said the would like a character guy, who may have gone through similar things coming up.  Upton is a big time character guy who broke into MLB at age 19.

They have been making some very specific comments about adding vets on expiring contracts, adding power, mentioned being willing to deal from their minor league strengths to acquire what they want vs FA.

Hmm.  I’m not sure Upton in his situation would move across the country but who knows.