• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting Angel Stats

Stradling

On 9/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, Stradling said:

I read this on FB last night and while what was posted was slightly off I was still surprised by the actual results.  Angels bullpen this year has been bad.  What’s crazy is we are 53-4 in games we are leading going into the 8th inning.  We are 61-0 in games we are leading going into the 9th.  

https://stathead.com/baseball/inning_summary.cgi?year=2021&team_id=ANA&utm_medium=br&utm_source=team-inning-sum&utm_campaign=baseball&__hstc=107817757.826f4d65d18aa108b16e6653b092f177.1630495209687.1631764579421.1631805137904.37&__hssc=107817757.6.1631805137904&__hsfp=149145349

Raisel Iglesias.

So this acquisition was perhaps my favorite Minasian move to-date.

He acquired a guy he knew could pitch more than one inning that was dominant and Maddon applied him appropriately in the 8th and 9th innings as needed. I would be looking for Minasian to do the exact same thing next year and beyond, whether it is re-signing Iglesias or, more likely, identifying the next version of Raisel in FA or trade.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don’t know if I read this somewhere or how I came up with this position, but I look at the run differential and for every 10 runs I assume that is a game.  So the Angels are -71 so they should be about 7 games below .500.  If you are looking for a team that is playing above their heads, well the Dipoto’s are -65 runs and are 10 games over .500.  

Yeah, that's the back of the envelope rule. -7 wins by run differential aligns pretty close with their +6 in 1 run games. If they are really a sub .500 true talent team than they are probably playing 7 games or more better in one run games than you'd expect.

Like I said in my previous post, I think it's partially luck and partially due to roster construction, particularly in the bullpen. I know this goes against the traditional view of how you might look at it from a WAR perspective, but I'd bet that if they simply didn't have Iglesias at the back of the pen this team would be at least 6 games worse. 

On the flip side I'd imagine if they had two or three more decent relieves their run differential would be close to 0. How that would affect their record is harder to speculate, which is a reason I am not optimistic about their near term chances baring huge break outs from the kids.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yeah, that's the back of the envelope rule. -7 wins by run differential aligns pretty close with their +6 in 1 run games. If they are really a sub .500 true talent team than they are probably playing 7 games or more better in one run games than you'd expect.

Like I said in my previous post, I think it's partially luck and partially due to roster construction, particularly in the bullpen. I know this goes against the traditional view of how you might look at it from a WAR perspective, but I'd bet that if they simply didn't have Iglesias at the back of the pen this team would be at least 6 games worse. 

On the flip side I'd imagine if they had two or three more decent relieves their run differential would be close to 0. How that would affect their record is harder to speculate, which is a reason I am not optimistic about their near term chances baring huge break outs from the kids.

Well with Trout and Rendon along with improved defense and two pen arms, Cobb and Iglesias back this could be a 90 win team. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Well with Trout and Rendon along with improved defense and two pen arms, Cobb and Iglesias back this could be a 90 win team. 

The hope is that we have a .500 team and then we add Trout and Rendon and see how far they take us. I’m just more skeptical of how far that is after this year. Also I don’t really see anything to make me optimistic that the defense will improve or that Iglesias will be re-signed.

The logic is solid, I just have doubts about the organizations ability to come through on the assumptions that go into it.

22 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The hope is that we have a .500 team and then we add Trout and Rendon and see how far they take us. I’m just more skeptical of how far that is after this year. Also I don’t really see anything to make me optimistic that the defense will improve or that Iglesias will be re-signed.

The logic is solid, I just have doubts about the organizations ability to come through on the assumptions that go into it.

I’m just surprised after seeing the steps forward from the young pitching to not be optimistic 

Hey @totdprods @Inside Pitch @Dochalo quick question.  I was looking at the 2012 numbers of Miggy and Trout since 2012 was the last year we had a Triple Crown and that seems relevant because Vlad Jr is pretty close to achieving that this year.  Anyway, I noticed that Miggy had the higher OPS, but for some reason Trout had the higher OPS+ how does that happen?  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Hey @totdprods @Inside Pitch @Dochalo quick question.  I was looking at the 2012 numbers of Miggy and Trout since 2012 was the last year we had a Triple Crown and that seems relevant because Vlad Jr is pretty close to achieving that this year.  Anyway, I noticed that Miggy had the higher OPS, but for some reason Trout had the higher OPS+ how does that happen?  

Park effects.   Angel stadium was the harder park to hit in.   

32 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Roger Lodge threw out this stat yesterday, thought it was interesting:  "This year Fletcher has seen 2,058 pitches so far, he has swung and missed at only 80 of them."

It seems like 40 of those swing and misses have been in the last 3 weeks.