• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Approval Ratings

Taylor

Angels Approval Ratings  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the job Arte Moreno is doing?

• Strongly Approve
    • Moderately Approve
    • Neither Approve nor Dissaprove
    • Moderately Disapprove
    • Arte bad imo
  2. 2. Do you approve of the job Perry Minasian is doing?

• Strongly Approve
    • Moderately Approve
    • Neither Approve nor Disapprove
    • Moderately Disapprove
    • Strongly Disapprove

This is a very good topic to post so let's talk a bit about this:

Do I approve of what Moreno has done?
I said moderately disapprove. The only reason why I can't give the worst rating is the fact that he spends money. I have to thank him for that (no matter how stupid he is with it)... Though I wish he'd see what the Dodgers are doing....

Do I approve of what Minasian has done?
I moderately approve (surprisingly). I like where he's taking the farm and how he's been quick to get rid of bad players (Pujols, Iglesias, Eaton, Claudio). He's also been quick to keep the farm moving and it's a good breath of fresh air. Now that he knows the team better, his real grade comes after this offseason with WHO HE BRINGS IN.

Do I approve of what Maddon has done?
Moderately disagree. Believe it or not, his extreme optimism has bugged the hell out of me. I also haven't been a fan of his lineup card and his quick hooks on the field. 

In 2021, I like to think everyone is doing the best they can. It sucks but when you look at the injuries there was no way the team was headed to the playoffs. You can court players in the off season but you can’t make them sign if they don’t want to play for the Angels. This winter I hope that those coming back in ‘22 think about what role they want to play on  next year’s team. Hopefully some will chose to take a leadership role and give an identity to the clubhouse.

30 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Based on the results, I think we could easily recall Arte.

Don't even try, he has the support of corporate ticket holders that will back him with a $5,000 a plate campaign contribution dinner at The Newport Yacht Club. The best we can hope for is a couple In-N-Out coupons from @Stradling, but then again probably not because he's an Arte supporter.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Don't even try, he has the support of corporate ticket holders that will back him with a $5,000 a plate campaign contribution dinner at The Newport Yacht Club. The best we can hope for is a couple In-N-Out coupons from @Stradling, but then again probably not because he's an Arte supporter.

Strad voted strongly disapprove for Arte.

Arte Moreno: Strongly Disapprove. It cannot be understated how badly Moreno runs this franchise. He meddles into baseball operations way more than any GM should and he doesn't seem to treat people within his organization the proper way. (His interference in the LAD trade and his furloughing of employees/scouts and lack of care for minor leaguers greatly show this)

Perry Minasian: Neither Approve nor Disapprove. He's done some good things, but also some bad things. Still too early to judge him entirely, but this offseason will be a big test. He can't whiff again on so many free agents and he needs to build more depth. Now, he has a better understanding of this organization. So let's see what happens.

Joe Maddon: Moderately Disapprove. I think his bullpen management is awful and he may be too loyal in some cases, but there probably are some benefits he provides behind the scenes that we can't see (which leads me to not strongly disapprove of him)

So...

I gave Arte a "neither approve nor disapprove" - He has proven he'll spend his money (not every org can say that - and that alone almost had me give him a "moderately approve").  I think he's also given fans an improved experience at the ball park... I'm not a big fan of his "meddling" in the baseball operations (see: Josh Hamilton)...

I gave Perry a "moderately approve" - While you can't mistake activity for achievement - he has really come up with some creative finds to fix some of the present problems.  I LOVE what he did in the draft (all pitching).  And I liked the Heaney trade... and I LOVE that we cut ties with Pujols...

I gave Maddon a "moderately approve" - Yeah, I find his shtick a little grating and goofy... but I really appreciate his change of direction where Shohei is concerned: "we're going to let him have a say in his workload" - that's a huge reason, in my mind, that we're getting to witness this incredible season for the ages... The hard limit from the prior regime would never let this fly... I also kind of think that with all of the turnover in the lineup this year, it allows an environment for Maddon to really experiment and show his "mad scientist" side - I'd like to think we'll see less of that with a solid and stable lineup on the field...

I am ok with Arte. He isn't perfect. But , if he were to sell the team, i could see us getting an owner who goes full Miami Marlins with payroll. A new owner probably won't be able to pay cash for the team, along with the stadium rebuild/renovation. I would expect a new owner to have a lot more debt.

• 5 months later...
On 9/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, True Grich said:

Last season, I sort of got used to not having baseball and when it came back later in the year - I wasn't as interested.  I watched some games, but I wasn't all that invested. 

Going into this season, I thought that having fans back in the stadium, a full schedule, etc. would bring back my enthusiasm for the game this year.  Initially, I watched a lot of games, but as the season has progressed, my interest has dropped off.  I thought that I would enjoy having baseball back, but I can't say that it's been all that enjoyable. 

I have enjoyed watching Ohtani and continue to marvel at the very special and very historical season he's having.  Outside of that, there hasn't been much to keep me engaged.  Watching games has become less and less of a priority as the season has moved forward. 

This season has sort of been an unmitigated disaster.

I'm not one to sit around and bitch about every little thing.  I just think the team is dysfunctional on many levels.  It all starts with Arte for me and I don't see the Angels doing anything great while he owns the team.  I hope I'm wrong.  When I look at Arte, I think to myself - I wouldn't want to work for a guy like that.  Maybe that's not fair.  I don't know him on a personal level - but the image I have in my mind isn't one of a leader. 

This team lost its way some how.  I think that happened when Mike Scioscia lost his autonomy and ultimately, his job.  This team lost its identity.  The team's culture has changed. 

I'll still watch.  I'll still look forward to next season.  But... putting in the time and effort is becoming less of a priority.  I try to find the entertainment value in each game now.  That's about it. 

I feel like I don't know this team any more.  Names pop in and out of the lineup so often, it's hard to identify with many of them.  I don't know much about them and as a result, I feel less engaged. 

Still a great post.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:48 PM, failos said:

Surprised to see you say something like that. You don’t care about democracy?

I was using reverse psychology on tdawg. Six months later it still hasn't worked, but I'm hoping it's a slow burn.

4 minutes ago, cals said:

I’ll probably be dead by then, but I’d really like to sit down with you and have a long conversation when you’re like 70 and listen to you lament about how much time you wasted being a misguided dumbass in your life.

GWB being a war criminal isn't really a hot take these days. Strange you'd choose that assertion to wax poetic.

Arte took a team with a sustainable model for success and broke it. 

He purchased a WS champion and inherited a franchise that subsequently went to the playoffs 5 times in 7 years.   That GM stepped down after the 2007 season and he's had 4 since with one playoff appearance and no playoff wins in the last 12 seasons.  

As you know, I'm not huge on org rankings for prospects, but lets just take a look at the last several years from various sources (estimated) because the trend is relevant:
2010 - 25th
2011 - 15th (Mike Trout comes on the scene)
2012 - 19th (Trout still there)
2013 - 30th
2014 - 30th
2015 - 28th
2016 - 30th (Keith Law called the worst system he's ever seen)
2017 - 29th
2018 - 14th (added Ohtani, Adell and Marsh)
2019 - 18th
2020 - 17th
2021 - 28th
2022 - somewhere near the bottom.  

Ongoing litigation because an employee gave drugs to a player who subsequently died.  

Ongoing litigation in regard to the purchase of the stadium land that was allegedly done inappropriately.  

One of his GM's quit mid season. 

Constant rumors of meddling and paring down of staff. 

Here's a fun one for the statheads. 

If a team filled their roster with replacement players they would get a bout 50 wins per season.   Over the past ten seasons they've had 759 wins.  9 full seasons and one partial so a replacement team would have gotten about 469 wins.   So they're about 290 wins over replacement for the last ten years.  75 from Trout.  About 25%.  From one player.  Which means that they avg about 22 WAR per season from the rest of the team for each team FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS!!!  Which is about 72 wins per year.  For ten years.  Oh and 9 of that WAR last year was also from one guy.  To get us to 77 wins.  

Did I miss anything?

Is he 100% responsible for all of this?  Of course not.  Is this the org and how it's performed under his watch and leadership in a nutshell?  

So here's a stupid analogy to finish my rant

If Arte were tasked with feeding and providing shelter for 100 people, he'd buy one of them a really nice watch.