• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Fletcher's Offense

BTH

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Well, once Rendon gets through with all his surgeries we'll have a decent 3rd baseman, and once Arte signs a splashy free agent shortstop we'll have that covered, and if Fletcher can figure out how to hit a baseball again we should be fine at 2nd. So, no worries! Playoffs guaranteed.

Except will need to win games 8-6 or 10-8, not a great formula for post-season contention.

My questions are, what do our hitting coaches really do on a day-to-day basis? Do they actually help a player like Fletcher to change his approach which is definitely not working? Do the players actually listen? Are there any great hitting coaches in baseball who make a difference? 

A guy who hits .454 with a 26-game hit streak doesn't normally go over a cliff and struggle to hit .100 over the next two months. It seems to me the coaches could easily figure this out and get him to change his approach. Is he just not listening? 

28 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

My questions are, what do our hitting coaches really do on a day-to-day basis? Do they actually help a player like Fletcher to change his approach which is definitely not working? Do the players actually listen? Are there any great hitting coaches in baseball who make a difference? 

A guy who hits .454 with a 26-game hit streak doesn't normally go over a cliff and struggle to hit .100 over the next two months. It seems to me the coaches could easily figure this out and get him to change his approach. Is he just not listening? 

A .480 BAbip really helps. There's a lot of questioning about what isn't working with him, what could be done differently, why is this happening, and I think it's all, well, not pointless, but being made more complicated than it really is.

David Fletcher makes contact at an elite level - this is fact. That is also where his offensive skillset tops out. It's a incredible skill, so that's not meant as a slight, but it really is just about the only weapon he has to work with offensively. Since he doesn't walk, since he doesn't strike out, it really is as simple as it either falls in, or it doesn't. Some of that is luck, some of that is skill, some of that is defensive positioning against him, but ultimately, it just comes down to singles falling in, and given that a single or an out are the two most frequent offensive outcomes, it gets back to sort of just relying on luck. There will be stretches where everything falls in, stretches where nothing falls in, stretches where it's consistent. 

To me, there's just not much to discuss or debate...coaches know as well as we that his contact skills are elite - why mess with that too much? If you tilt the apple cart too much and his contact goes down and his K rates go up, does that really help? If you preach patience to him and he swings less, his K rate theoretically goes up with more strikes catching corners. Does that help?

Ideally, Fletcher's discipline improves - he has walked at a league average rate around 8% for a season-and-a-half in '19 and '20 so it's there - and that really is all he has to do to offset the times BAbip works against him. It just didn't happen this year, for whatever reason. He might have been swinging to get out of his slump at the start of the year, he might have been swinging here at the end of the year because the Angels were out of contention and he was pressing to make things happen offensively. 

David Fletcher's offense is a joke. Best case scenario, he gets a measly single.

More often than not, he hits a ground ball or a soft liner for an out. What's even worse is when he hits into double plays. He's not only wasting his out, but also creating another one. Figure it out dude. This is annoying.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm not sure I've seen a slump this bad in a long time.

Dude is basically useless if he's batting. 250.

It's insane.

I don't get how his batting average is still around .260. I cannot remember the last time he got a hit, or got on base for that matter.

Double play makes it 1-40 and 13-122, David!

You hit the ball like a girl!

On second thoughts, the best softball players probably put you to shame with a bat.

Just have Ohtani DH for you, the pitchers could probably hit better!

Another long term contract for a position player that = 💩!

Edited by Angel Oracle

16 minutes ago, Trendon said:

It's insane.

I don't get how his batting average is still around .260. I cannot remember the last time he got a hit, or got on base for that matter.

The .260 includes a month where he hit .454. Take those 26 games away and it's a whole different number. I'm too lazy to look it up right now.