• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At what point did you realize the season was over?

mmc

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

They were already toast at that point. They were on a good run of playing over their head then though. The team's issues were clear and unaddressable back in May/June. There was a moment where contention was possible but it would've involved an investment in the bullpen considerably earlier than most teams make those sorts of moves.

4 GB in the wildcard with three months to play is not "toast." If you didn't have at least some hope--that is, not "realize that the season was over"--that's pretty pessimistic.

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

4 GB in the wildcard with three months to play is not "toast." If you didn't have at least some hope--that is, not "realize that the season was over"--that's pretty pessimistic.

I don't care what the standings said or how many games they had left to play - you also left out how many teams were ahead of them. You couldn't honestly look at this team and think it was a playoff team. Teams just don't make the playoffs with one decent relief pitcher, a weak starting rotation and terrible defense. 

I was pretty skeptical of what they did this off season so I wasn’t overly pumped about their chances but as always I ended up pretending they could go on a run until around the all star break.  Probably mid July i was ready for our real season.  The off season 😎

Edited by UndertheHalo

23 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't care what the standings said or how many games they had left to play - you also left out how many teams were ahead of them. You couldn't honestly look at this team and think it was a playoff team. Teams just don't make the playoffs with one decent relief pitcher, a weak starting rotation and terrible defense. 

It isn't either/or, either you're a playoff team or not. The question of the thread implies "no chance." They had more than a snowball's chance in July. 

45 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

exactly.  that was just false hope while staring at a horrible defense and pen.  I knew there was a chance we'd still make the playoffs but it was clear by that point to me when we couldn't beat a team above .500 or win games in the division that it would take some major turn around for that to happen and it just wasn't there.  I think there was a point where we won a bunch of games in a row and then just gave it all back like a week later.  That's when it was obvious to me what this team was.  

29 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

exactly.  that was just false hope while staring at a horrible defense and pen.  I knew there was a chance we'd still make the playoffs but it was clear by that point to me when we couldn't beat a team above .500 or win games in the division that it would take some major turn around for that to happen and it just wasn't there.  I think there was a point where we won a bunch of games in a row and then just gave it all back like a week later.  That's when it was obvious to me what this team was.  

The team just clearly wasn't good enough. Even though we all expected Trout and Rendon to come back at the time there was also no way Ohtani was going to maintain his level of performance. There was a point sometime in May where it was clear that the team needed to add a couple of good, reliable arms to the pen, another starting pitcher and also figure out why the defense was so awful and that just wasn't realistic.

36 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The team just clearly wasn't good enough. Even though we all expected Trout and Rendon to come back at the time there was also no way Ohtani was going to maintain his level of performance. There was a point sometime in May where it was clear that the team needed to add a couple of good, reliable arms to the pen, another starting pitcher and also figure out why the defense was so awful and that just wasn't realistic.

I didn't even see much of a path where adding a couple arms would help that much.  The thing that bothered me the most is that they went to battle with obvious holes in their strategy.  Then the defense fell apart.  How do you go into a season with that bullpen?  

36 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I didn't even see much of a path where adding a couple arms would help that much.  The thing that bothered me the most is that they went to battle with obvious holes in their strategy.  Then the defense fell apart.  How do you go into a season with that bullpen?  

Well I think it's clear now that no matter what they did it wasn't going to work. Of course if you make the assumption that Trout and Rendon were going to come back healthy and that they were going to figure out what the problem was with the defense things could look different. A 2014 Dipoto style revamp of the pen, plus an actual good starting pitcher and I could see the team being competitive. Of course we knew at the time there was no way they were trading for a starting pitcher.

In general I’m overly optimistic about my teams. So as usual I was in denial until about two weeks after the AllStar break. Then reality hit me. But being optimistic just accepted the situation for what it was and continued to follow to see what Ohtani and the young kids will do the rest of the way. Being the gullible sports idiot that I am, I’m hopeful about next year (as long as there is a season with the expiring CBA). Fingers crossed we’ll have a season next year

If you are incapable of optimism then I would recommend a different hobby, a different sport or at the very least a different team.  The Yankees, the most successful franchise is baseball history haven’t been in the World Series in 12 years.  To put that in perspective, we drafted Mike Trout in 2009, with the pick we got for the Yankees signing Mark Texeria.  Tex signed an 8 year contract with the Yankees.  Then he retired and will be HOF eligible after this season.  That is how long it has been since the most successful baseball team in its history has played in the World Series.  So once again, if you lack optimism baseball will be a total son of a bitch of a hobby.