• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At what point did you realize the season was over?

mmc

50 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

April 1

April Fools just like this team the past 6 seasons

The cynic in me would agree with AO but probably on the 16th June having been swept by the A's and the realisation that you are not going anywhere when you cannot get anything against your divisional rivals. (13-29 so far I think against Asstros,A's and M's)

Would be an interesting question for Joe madden based on some of his bizarre line up choices and pitching changes.

I’m an optimist by nature.  I’ve known we weren’t good enough as constructed early on.  By the end of May I figured if we don’t see better relief pitching and defense the season is over.  Then when we didn’t upgrade at the deadline I knew it was over.  Then when Sandoval got hurt, I knew it was over.  
Whats crazy is with health, better defensive decisions (shifting, when to shift), and 2-3 bullpen arms, this is a playoff team. 

When Trout, Rendon and Upton were all on the IL at the same time with no time tables for return. That was the entire starting outfield erased from the lineup card because Fowler hadn't lasted 3 weeks and covering his position was unsuccessful. Coupled with Heaney, Bundy and Quintana all sucking with Canning gone by July 2nd, it was over before the All Star break. 

When the defensive issues started to look like something other than "bad luck" I knew it was going to be brutal.  I said multiple times early on that I believed the team had a chance so long as they could fix the defensive problems that were dragging everything else down.  People always bitch about offensive slumps and pitchers shitting the bed, but bad defense day in and day out just completely undermines everything.  We have had the same issue now for two straight years with no signs it will end.  

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

When the defensive issues started to look like something other than "bad luck" I knew it was going to be brutal.  I said multiple times early on that I believed the team had a chance so long as they could fix the defensive problems that were dragging everything else down.  People always bitch about offensive slumps and pitchers shitting the bed, but bad defense day in and day out just completely undermines everything.  We have had the same issue now for two straight years with no signs it will end.  

Chances we’d have these defensive issues with Scioscia as the manager?  I’d put those at about zero. 

41 minutes ago, Revad said:

you Sound like a seasoned Angels fan to me.  I agree.

I’m an optimist, but also a realist. Too many things had to go right or above average with more than a few question marks. Then Trout goes down for the year and it’s only worth watching Ohtani highlights on YouTube.

When Maddon and Minasian continued to masquerade garbage as pitchers trying to determine "what they had" for the first half of the season.  I am not referring to the occasional clunker or a pitcher who shows improvement.  They continued to pitch garbage as if nothing was wrong.  Victor was right.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

And it won’t end until a certain manager’s contract expires a year from now.

To answer the question, though, sometime in July. On July 7 they were two games above .500 and 4 GB the second wildcard. They were 25-15 over their last 40 games, and there was still the chance they could continue as such and creep into contention. Plus, Trout was supposed to come back any time. They then went 2-6 straddling the ASB and rumors of Trout being out longer began circulate. So I guess my answer is July 20: 2 games below .500, falling out of the wildcard, and no sign of Trout.

I suppose that four-game win streak in early August put blush on the corpse, so that on August 6 they were 2 games above .500, but now 6 GB the second wildcard. But they went on another 2-6 run and by August 14 we were reminded that the Angels were already done, and we confused blush for a glimmer of life.

Edited by Angelsjunky

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

To answer the question, though, sometime in July. On July 7 they were two games above .500 and 4 GB the second wildcard. They were 25-15 over their last 40 games, and there was still the chance they could continue as such and creep into contention.

They were already toast at that point. They were on a good run of playing over their head then though. The team's issues were clear and unaddressable back in May/June. There was a moment where contention was possible but it would've involved an investment in the bullpen considerably earlier than most teams make those sorts of moves.