• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which former Angels' successes after leaving aggravated you the most?

totdprods

GettyImages-51522707.0.jpg

It doesn't matter if there was a justifiable reason for parting ways - i.e., a trade that benefitted the Angels or a better internal replacement..just curious which former Angels' success after they left was most aggravating to watch because there was a lingering feeling of "Welp, wish we would've kept them" or "Oh, of course he plays well NOW"...don't hinge the other circumstances that led up to the departure (i.e., acquiring Heaney for Kendrick), just weigh what they did afterwards.

Damion Easley? Five mediocre years as a top prospect only to be dumped in a trade for a reliever before becoming a quasi-All-Star caliber 2B for Detroit for three seasons?
Nolan Ryan? We all know the Bavasi two 8-7 pitchers quote.
Jean Segura? Posted 26 bWAR after his lone Angels game before being traded for Greinke.
Albert Pujols? Had to beat someone to this...but have to admit, he's played his role well for the Dodgers, better than he would have here - for whatever reasons.
Joe Blanton? 6.04 ERA in 28 Angels games in 132.2 IP, then posts a 2.65 ER in his next 156 IP over the next 2 years and 111 games.
Scott Kazmir? Posted a 6.17 ERA in his last 29 GS for the Angels, then posted a 3.75 ERA over the next four years in 118 GS.
Jim Edmonds? Oft-injured yet productive as a 7 years as a Halo (20.5 bWAR, 119 OPS+) but borderline HOF in next 10 seasons (39.9 bWAR, 139 OPS+)
Howie Kendrick? Only became a better hitter and had crucial big game moments
Vladimir Guerrero? Deep down no one wanted to see him go, even if it made some baseball sense. He rebounded just fine for Texas the next year and even Baltimore the year after.
Matt Joyce? This guy drove me effin' crazy when he was here, he put up a 60 OPS+ and looked pissed off/lazy at everyone for booing him, then doubled that production to a 113 OPS the next five years. 
J.T. Snow? Why exactly did we trade him? Can anyone remind me?
Ervin SantanaOf course he puts it together with a couple career seasons, and the best five of his career, after we deal him for a fringe minor leaguer.
Kevin Gregg? One save as an Angel in four years, 176 the next seven years.
Chris Stratton? Now you're a good pitcher?

Great list, many of those names I've forgotten. 

Although you missed the one name that I'm sure everyone else here thought of too....

mike napoli clap GIF by MLB

Edit: meh, looking back at his stats, he only had the one huge year with TEX in 2011, and the subsequent years were just about his Angels averages. 

16 minutes ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Great list, many of those names I've forgotten. 

Although you missed the one name that I'm sure everyone else here thought of too....

mike napoli clap GIF by MLB

Edit: meh, looking back at his stats, he only had the one huge year with TEX in 2011, and the subsequent years were just about his Angels averages. 

Still, his production against the Angels merits inclusion for sure. 

I totally forgot about him.

Two answers. 

First, Howie Kendrick's success made me furious, but not at him - at the organization for giving up one last year of him for several years of Heaney. I was happy for Howie, as I had followed him since Rancho Cuc. He was and remains one of my three favorite Angels ever, and he should have played his whole career in Anaheim. 

Second, Matt Joyce. I could not stand him. In the first decade of his career, he only had one year of negative bWAR - with the Angels in 2015. He put up -.9 bWAR and the Angels missed the postseason (or at least a one-game tiebreaker) by one game. If Joyce had put up the 1.5 bWAR he had the year before (in Tampa) or the 1.8 bWAR he did the year after (in Pittsburgh), the Angels may well have been in the postseason. And then two years after leaving the Angels, he went to Oakland and put up 2.0 bWAR, because of course.

Plus, his face looks like a vagina. 

14 minutes ago, Justin said:

Two answers. 

First, Howie Kendrick's success made me furious, but not at him - at the organization for giving up one last year of him for several years of Heaney. I was generally happy for Howie, as I had followed him since Rancho Cuc. He was and remains one of my three favorite Angels ever, and he should have played his whole career in Anaheim. 

Second, Matt Joyce. I could not stand him. In the first decade of his career, he only had one year of negative bWAR - with the Angels in 2015. He put up -.9 bWAR and the Angels missed the postseason (or at least a one-game tiebreaker) by one game. If Joyce had put up the 1.5 bWAR he had the year before (in Tampa) or the 1.8 bWAR he did the year after (in Pittsburgh), the Angels may well have been in the postseason. And then two years after leaving the Angels, he went to Oakland and put up 2.0 bWAR, because of course.

Plus, his face looks like a vagina. 

So glad I'm not the only one was so pissed about Joyce. He's somewhat irrationally one of my most loathed Halos, right up there with Hamilton. I remember he had a piss-poor attitude when he was here, and I remember him showing up Angels' fans in a game or two after he left too. Bat flips, some jawing/glares at dugout or crowd...just completely irritated me.

33 minutes ago, totdprods said:

So glad I'm not the only one was so pissed about Joyce. He's somewhat irrationally one of my most loathed Halos, right up there with Hamilton. I remember he had a piss-poor attitude when he was here, and I remember him showing up Angels' fans in a game or two after he left too. Bat flips, some jawing/glares at dugout or crowd...just completely irritated me.

Some men are just born to be Oakland Athletics. Joyce was one of those men.

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

This kind of stuff doesn’t irritate me all that much. The bigger issue is when prospects get traded and then are good for their new organizations. 

There are false narratives fueled by Angel fans that make you believe this happens all the time. I can think of three times in the last decade and only one was dumb in the moment.  Segura for Greinke, Corbin for Haren, both moves to try to put us over the edge.  Moves we wish we could contemplate today.  Then there was the inconsistent Clevinger traded for Vinnie Petsano.  That one hurts.  I’m sure it’s happened other times but it’s slipped my mind. But if we have to go back more than a decade we might as well still be pissed about Brunansky, Bichette and Lansford. 

15 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Phil Nevin our back up catcher crushed and hit 40hr for the Padres at 3b.

Deep cut here----Allen Watson mediocre SP became an elite reliever for the Yankees. He had an unbeilable run.

I hated losing Krod and Glaus. 

With our struggles to have SP Clevinger's success was painful  

Man forgot all about Phil Nevin as our back-up catcher...good call.

9 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Teixera or Greinke count?  I know they were rentals

Sure, I know most definitely would've preferred seeing us hold onto them, so seeing them do what they did after absolutely counts.

Failing to re-sign those actually are some of the most critical points in recent history. Teixeira* likely means no Pujols, Greinke likely means no Hamilton.

*I still imagine we would've drafted Trout over Grichuk with our pick, given that we only drafted them in that order for contract negotiation purposes.

Edited by totdprods

16 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Teixera or Greinke count?  I know they were rentals

Greinke aggravated me just because of how it all played out.  He just used us to get a better deal, and got rewarded in the future by being traded to a contender.

Ryan and the 2 pitchers can equal his performance irked me. Especially seeing how well he did after.  That was a total Angels GM self destruction move.

14 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

In 1999 on the Yankees he had a 2.10 era, maybe that's what I'm remembering.

I recall him changing his delivery and getting close to setting some record on the Yankees. 

Yep. He had a great 20 game stretch for the Yankees. Came back the following year and sucked.