• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox sign Iglesias….

DMVol

3 minutes ago, SurfWriter said:

In zero chances and with no organized team?  A joke needs at least some basis in reality.  But hey, in the peanut gallery of the website, you're now in the Hall of Fame.  Revel in that, if nothing else.

Again, stick to surfing. 

Iglesias was a tremendous defensive SS -- why we let him go is beyond me.

I guess because he was on a one year deal and we were not going to re-sign him - we let him walk now with a month or two left in the season and got a month's salary savings - although we likely paying everything over the MLB minimum for the rest of 2021.

Boston snaps him up and if nothing else, he can provide some late inning defensive help.

I really don't understand this move by the Halos Front Office but it really underscores that they've put out the white flag for 2021.  Oh well.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:12 PM, Blarg said:

But I know it’s all about energy for me."

When asked to clarify if "energy" was in relation to playing in front of bigger crowds and such, Iglesias added, "Not necessarily. Just be in the moment. Feel connected and play for something. I like to play for something."

shocked homer simpson GIF

4 hours ago, SurfWriter said:

You're exaggerating, and I'm not that knowledgeable about the stats to begin with.  So let's try to meet in a more rational middle ground.  I checked Iglesias's stats in two different places, and compared with Bogaerts, the player he was brought in by the Red Sox to replace for however long it might be.  Iglesias has played SS, 2B and 3B, mostly SS in his career.  His career fielding pct is .982, while Bogaerts' is .978.  But Iglesias fell off in FP this year to .958, part of the time playing out of his preferred position.  Iglesias made 16 errors with the Angels this year, which is by far his career high for a season.  That's unacceptable, definitely.  I knew he had an unusually high E total, and took that into account.  So overall, you can't say Iglesias has been a terrible SS over his time in the league.  Andrelton Simmons, who departed the Angels but was long considered an elite SS, had 12 errors so far this year with Minn, a FP of .974, and is batting a rather pathetic .224 in 118 games with 3 HRs and 29 RBI.  Iglesias is batting .259, w 8 HRs and 42 RBI in the same number of games.  So who do you want? 

You probably still think Albert Pujols is an elite 1B.

BTW the Angels let go of Simmons because he was no longer the elite SS that they traded for. I doubt they wanted to replace him with someone worse. 

6 hours ago, SurfWriter said:

You're exaggerating, and I'm not that knowledgeable about the stats to begin with.  So let's try to meet in a more rational middle ground.  I checked Iglesias's stats in two different places, and compared with Bogaerts, the player he was brought in by the Red Sox to replace for however long it might be.  Iglesias has played SS, 2B and 3B, mostly SS in his career.  His career fielding pct is .982, while Bogaerts' is .978.  But Iglesias fell off in FP this year to .958, part of the time playing out of his preferred position.  Iglesias made 16 errors with the Angels this year, which is by far his career high for a season.  That's unacceptable, definitely.  I knew he had an unusually high E total, and took that into account.  So overall, you can't say Iglesias has been a terrible SS over his time in the league.  Andrelton Simmons, who departed the Angels but was long considered an elite SS, had 12 errors so far this year with Minn, a FP of .974, and is batting a rather pathetic .224 in 118 games with 3 HRs and 29 RBI.  Iglesias is batting .259, w 8 HRs and 42 RBI in the same number of games.  So who do you want? 

I never said Iglesias was terrible over his career, I also didn’t say he was terrible this year.  Everyone else did. You talk about his errors being partly caused by playing out of his preferred position.  He’s played a total of one game out of his preferred defensive position and that was in Boston, two games if you include him being a DH one game.  His defense has declined, the stats support that as fact. 

6 hours ago, disarcina said:

Iglesias was a tremendous defensive SS -- why we let him go is beyond me.

I guess because he was on a one year deal and we were not going to re-sign him - we let him walk now with a month or two left in the season and got a month's salary savings - although we likely paying everything over the MLB minimum for the rest of 2021.

Boston snaps him up and if nothing else, he can provide some late inning defensive help.

I really don't understand this move by the Halos Front Office but it really underscores that they've put out the white flag for 2021.  Oh well.

He was signed as a glove first guy and this year the glove was poor, the bat was poor. He had a down year.  Releasing him doesn’t negatively affect the Angels short term and probably benefits them long term. 

9 hours ago, SurfWriter said:

As for the decision, not so much.  See my above posting about career stats and comparisons.

I am inferring it was a bad decision by Minasian to trade for Iglesias because the Angels stopped playing him choosing to then release him.  That is not the typical sequence of events when the GM makes a good player acquisition decision.

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I am inferring it was a bad decision by Minasian to trade for Iglesias because the Angels stopped playing him choosing to then release him.  That is not the typical sequence of events when the GM makes a good player acquisition decision.

It happens a lot, especially when it's a player on an expiring contract and the team is out of playoff contention.

FLD% by itself is probably the least informative most misleading of all statistics in MLB.   It's not remotely close to being useful when gauging defensive prowess other than possibly how sure-handed a player is -- I mean there is value in that but not to the extent the stat would have one believe..   Seriously there is no statistic more devoid of actual context -- it's even worse than ERA in that respect.  A guy runs 75 yards, dives has the ball bounce off his glove but he keeps the runner for advancing.  Error.   Guy makes no effort, lets the ball roll to the wall..  No error.   Multiply that 5-7 times over the course of a season you have one guy looking like a disaster with a glove while the guy playing matador defense is unscathed.

Iglesias' defense slipped.  He also got dinged by the team's defensive alignments and everyone's favorite "Tio" early on.