• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I want to see what everyone considers "affordable" for a single seat.

That's certainly different for everyone.  I think anything less than $40 bucks is affordable.  My season seats worked out to be about $14-$15 bucks a game - those same seats cost more from the box office, but would still be no more than $20 for most games.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I haven't been able to find good deals on StubHub in recent years. They put a "price floor" on all tickets so it's pretty much impossible to find tickets for lower than face value.

When my family had season seats, my dad would often ask me to sell them on StubHub. I'd post tickets for like $2 cheaper than the cheapest tickets in the same section, and they'd sell within minutes. StubHub doesn't allow you to do that anymore.

Not true.  I did that last year, many times. 

15 minutes ago, Taylor said:

If your price range is $40 a ticket as affordable, I can see how you'd get good deals. $40 per ticket isn't worth it to me.

I should clarify that would be affordable for a road game.  I typically spend more than that when visiting another stadium.  I haven't had to spend that much for a home game because I've had season seats.  Moving forward, I might spend that much because I'll be going to fewer games, but I'd be more likely to spend around $25.

BTW...

The price has definitely gone up.  When I first bought my season seats (2004), it was buy two, get two free.  It worked out to about $6 a seat.  Those same seats are now about $15 a seat, if you buy them as season tickets.

Edited by True Grich

39 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The Angels still allow you to bring your own food and water in. 

You can usually find good deals on tickets on StubHub...

Again, it's all still affordable, IMO.

It’s all relative.  No the Angels aren’t the most expensive entertainment option.  All the same a $200-$300 dollar family trip might be prohibitive for good number of younger families.  Is that something the Angels need to worry about.  I don’t know.  Probably not.  Would be nice though.  They do a pretty good job with the family Sunday deals imo. 

On 9/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm fine with increasing the penalties, but lowering the threshold feels like an attack on player salaries (it is in this case).

The solution has always been obvious, but it's not been popular amongst owners because it doesn't increase their profits. That is to drastically increase revenue sharing and tie compensation to winning.

The current MLB proposal is a shot across the bow of the MLBPA. In an environment where we've seen decreasing compensation for MLB's mid tier players and veterans amongst record profits for owners, MLB is proposing a 'solution' designed to reign in salaries for top players.  

You can bet if there were relegation that we wouldn't have teams spending $60 million on payroll.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

BTW...

The price has definitely gone up.  When I first bought my season seats (2004), it was buy two, get two free.  It worked out to about $6 a seat.  Those same seats are now about $15 a seat, if you buy them as season tickets.

Like housing in California and higher education, the price of tickets to Angel games has risen far faster than inflation.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:17 PM, Junkballer said:

The owners have been pretty vigilant in protecting one of the main benefits of having a legal monopoly, not having to open their books.  Anything's possible but that seems like a line in the sand for them even if it is clearly defined as pertaining to gate and media.  They likely view at as a slippery slope.

I think people here would be shocked at how much revenue these teams bring in each year and how little they spend on salaries each year if teams were forced to open their books. Posters make jokes about yacht fuel now, but I think they would be outraged.

I know the NFL isn't MLB but read this story from ESPN today.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32486646/los-angeles-rams-owner-stan-kroenke-angers-nfl-owners-financial-pivot-related-lawsuit-st-louis-move-sources-say

NFL owners would rather do just about anything than open their books. Owners would rather risk fines, contempt charges, and losing billion dollar lawsuits than open their books. Either teams are losing so much money it would tank their franchise values or they make so much money its ridiculously embarrassing what they pay players and that they ask taxpayers for money to build stadiums.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd be interested to read a breakdown of how this benefits mlb. it's such a far out idea.

btw, i would never agree to the 29.5 years old for FA. NEVER. that alone would be enough for me to strike if i was a part of the union.

I'm surprised it's not '6 years of control or 29.5.  whichever comes first'.   

I just can't imagine the mlbpa allowing something that so specifically ties a player's pay to statistical performance.  At least not so tightly.  Almost seems kinda purposeful that they are proposing something they know has zero chance of being agreed to.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm surprised it's not '6 years of control or 29.5.  whichever comes first'.   

I just can't imagine the mlbpa allowing something that so specifically ties a player's pay to statistical performance.  At least not so tightly.  Almost seems kinda purposeful that they are proposing something they know has zero chance of being agreed to.  

It's almost as stupid as arbitration. I'd like to see a form of restricted free agency instead.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/agent-scott-boras-blasts-mlbs-system-that-allowed-atlanta-to-emerge-as-2021-world-series-winners/ar-AAQyDko?ocid=uxbndlbing

Boras, who spoke for 55 minutes at the annual general managers' meetings, said that the current draft system in baseball is broken, causing teams to intentionally lose to gain future top draft picks since 2012. He doesn’t blame teams for exploiting the system, knowing it led the Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros to World Series titles; and teams like the Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers and Pittsburgh Pirates all losing 100 games in recent years to gain top picks.

There are currently only 17 teams, at the most, Boras says, who are trying to even win in 2022.

“It created an incentive for the race to the bottom,’’ Boras said. “Being non-competitive, trading off their players, is making the game and the season very different than what it was intended to be.

“You must make competitive requirements of winning and retaining the integrity so every team has a reason to win every game. ... We have seen a non-competitive cancer occur as a result of a bargaining change. It's not good for the game. It's not how our game should be played. It's one of the greatest problems in Major League Baseball today.’’

The Kansas City Royals are the lone small-market team to win a World Series championship since 2003, and the Tampa Bay Rays are the only team with a bottom five payroll to advance past the division series since 2012.

“We need to return to a draft where cost certainty and the pick are not rewarded for losing,’’ Boras said. “You must make competitive requirements of winning and retaining the integrity so every team has a reason to win every game.’

He says a lot more and I think he makes some really good points.

6 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/agent-scott-boras-blasts-mlbs-system-that-allowed-atlanta-to-emerge-as-2021-world-series-winners/ar-AAQyDko?ocid=uxbndlbing

Boras, who spoke for 55 minutes at the annual general managers' meetings, said that the current draft system in baseball is broken, causing teams to intentionally lose to gain future top draft picks since 2012. He doesn’t blame teams for exploiting the system, knowing it led the Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros to World Series titles; and teams like the Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers and Pittsburgh Pirates all losing 100 games in recent years to gain top picks.

There are currently only 17 teams, at the most, Boras says, who are trying to even win in 2022.

“It created an incentive for the race to the bottom,’’ Boras said. “Being non-competitive, trading off their players, is making the game and the season very different than what it was intended to be.

“You must make competitive requirements of winning and retaining the integrity so every team has a reason to win every game. ... We have seen a non-competitive cancer occur as a result of a bargaining change. It's not good for the game. It's not how our game should be played. It's one of the greatest problems in Major League Baseball today.’’

The Kansas City Royals are the lone small-market team to win a World Series championship since 2003, and the Tampa Bay Rays are the only team with a bottom five payroll to advance past the division series since 2012.

“We need to return to a draft where cost certainty and the pick are not rewarded for losing,’’ Boras said. “You must make competitive requirements of winning and retaining the integrity so every team has a reason to win every game.’

He says a lot more and I think he makes some really good points.

Genuine question. How did the 2012 draft changes lead to this?