• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

The owner's initial offer that was leaked says they were going to decrease the luxury tax line and there's no way the players go for that. Even in exchange for a salary floor. In the NBA the players are granted a significant but specific share of league revenues, I could see the owners agreeing to this, but only on ticket sales and media contracts.

The owners have been pretty vigilant in protecting one of the main benefits of having a legal monopoly, not having to open their books.  Anything's possible but that seems like a line in the sand for them even if it is clearly defined as pertaining to gate and media.  They likely view at as a slippery slope.

19 hours ago, eligrba said:

How about making baseball more affordable for the fans?

Yeah, I know, dumbass.

Most people pay for a streaming service or cable or satellite.

Baseball fans on a budget choose the service that gets them the broadcasts of their favorite team.

That is pretty affordable, especially considering they would probably be paying for a streaming service, cable or satellite even if baseball didn’t exist.

Tickets are expensive but you can pretty easily find affordable tickets for some individual games.

I kind of reject the idea that baseball is not affordable to fans.  That claim only holds up if you think 4 box seats every week is the baseline.

Personally I think the change in the business model to broadcast everything has been a huge financial win for “normal income” fans.

The Season tickets I grew up going to have doubled in price in the past 15 years. They're on the third base side, field level. We'd go to maybe 2 games a year. One year we bought a quarter of them, and tried to give them out to clients, but it was hard to get people to take them, even when the Angels were winning. You can't give clients anything anymore, as it's seen as a bribe, instead of a thank you for your loyalty.

But at $180 per seat, 4 seats, 81 games it's around $60,000 a year. And no one can afford that. 

They're great seats. We have a wonderful usher. Great site lines. 

But I usually just buy seats off seatgeek or stubhub now.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Most people pay for a streaming service or cable or satellite.

Baseball fans on a budget choose the service that gets them the broadcasts of their favorite team.

That is pretty affordable, especially considering they would probably be paying for a streaming service, cable or satellite even if baseball didn’t exist.

Tickets are expensive but you can pretty easily find affordable tickets for some individual games.

I kind of reject the idea that baseball is not affordable to fans.  That claim only holds up if you think 4 box seats every week is the baseline.

Personally I think the change in the business model to broadcast everything has been a huge financial win for “normal income” fans.

Tickets are way more expensive today than they used to be, and apparently the Angels are still one of the more affordable teams in the MLB. I used to be able to snag decent tickets for about $10 apiece pretty regulary. Now, $10 might get you section 535 on a Tuesday night.

Also, the ability to stream games is hampered by cable exclusive deals and the devised-by-Satan blackout rules for MLB.tv. 

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Tickets are way more expensive today than they used to be, and apparently the Angels are still one of the more affordable teams in the MLB. I used to be able to snag decent tickets for about $10 apiece pretty regulary. Now, $10 might get you section 535 on a Tuesday night.

Also, the ability to stream games is hampered by cable exclusive deals and the devised-by-Satan blackout rules for MLB.tv. 

$10 used to buy you a meal at a sit-down restaurant, now it barely gets you a #3 from Carl's Jr.

Going to games is still affordable, IMO - but you need to adjust your expectations and sit up higher than you might like. It's still a great experience most of the time.  I don't think you have to be close to the field to have a good experience.

I just gave up my season seats after 18 years.  We sat in View MVP and it was just fine for us.  It was hard to give up our seats, but we just don't go as often and it's hard to resell or even give tickets away. 

It's also not the same. When we first got our tickets - we had a great section with regulars who were there most games.  It was like the movie "Fever Pitch" where the group was like our "summer family." We became friends with some of them (still are), but all of them stopped being season ticket holders years ago.  We were the only originals from our section that were left.   Being a part of that group was part of the fun of being a season ticket holder.

Priorities have since changed... if I could still go to as many games as I used to, I'd keep the tickets, but it's just not feasible any more.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

He’s thinking in terms of one dude going.  Sure that’s not too bad.  But if you’re buying 4 seats and want to be extra fancy get some dang weiners and sodas or something.  Pretty easily runs over 200 bucks.  It’s not going to Disneyland but it’s not really cheap.  Also, the fees for buying the tickets cost more than the tickets sometimes which I think he’s also not considering.  Anyways. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

He’s thinking in terms of one dude going.  Sure that’s not too bad.  But if you’re buying 4 seats and want to be extra fancy get some dang weiners and sodas or something.  Pretty easily runs over 200 bucks.  It’s not going to Disneyland but it’s not really cheap.  Also, the fees for buying the tickets cost more than the tickets sometimes which I think he’s also not considering.  Anyways. 

Plus, when his generation were teenagers they worked 16 hours a day making $5 an hour but were able to save up and buy houses at age 20. So we entitled millennials should stop complaining about how much things cost.

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The Angels still allow you to bring your own food and water in. 

You can usually find good deals on tickets on StubHub...

Again, it's all still affordable, IMO.

9 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The Angels still allow you to bring your own food and water in. 

You can usually find good deals on tickets on StubHub...

Again, it's all still affordable, IMO.

I haven't been able to find good deals on StubHub in recent years. They put a "price floor" on all tickets so it's pretty much impossible to find tickets for lower than face value.

When my family had season seats, my dad would often ask me to sell them on StubHub. I'd post tickets for like $2 cheaper than the cheapest tickets in the same section, and they'd sell within minutes. StubHub doesn't allow you to do that anymore.