• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

25 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Looks like some progress in today's meeting. That's good news for all AW members, as I could be back at the start of spring training season

Updating your self-ban status whilst serving a self-ban (for very good reason btw) should carry a self-ban extension of at least a week of Spring Training.

So what is the general consensus as to which side will have to concede more than the other? Are there issues that both sides have stated they will not budge on? I have not paid too much attention to the labor issues but are there certain things that either the MLBPA wants or the MLB wants that are the main concerns? It's easy to just sum this up as it's about money but I thought a main sticking point was the PA wanted players to get to FA faster but it looks like that's been withdrawn already. I would love to see players getting to FA in 4-5 years so I guess it's back to 6 now and left unchanged? That didn't last long.

56 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

So what is the general consensus as to which side will have to concede more than the other? Are there issues that both sides have stated they will not budge on? I have not paid too much attention to the labor issues but are there certain things that either the MLBPA wants or the MLB wants that are the main concerns? It's easy to just sum this up as it's about money but I thought a main sticking point was the PA wanted players to get to FA faster but it looks like that's been withdrawn already. I would love to see players getting to FA in 4-5 years so I guess it's back to 6 now and left unchanged? That didn't last long.

I don't know what the MLBPA is wanting after dropping the FA concern.  It was one of their main sticking points.  It looks like the union is focusing on teams to spend more on the non-superstar players in free agency and has purposed a spending minimum for every team while also increasing the tax threshold for teams.  I'm not sure where things stand on that based on what I'm reading.   The best way to get mediocre players paid in free agency is to A) lower the FA time and arbitration time and B) increasing the minimum salary because with analytics, it usually favors younger cheaper players.  If these two things happen the wage gap between rookies and mediocre FAs will be lower and teams have to pay market rates for a bit more production.  Not saying budget teams will stop trading away expensive players, but it won't happen as often.

Other items that players might be asking for: Further tweaks to the draft picks attached when a team signs a free agent to further incentivize teams to sign FAs and not worry about losing draft picks.  Adding a lottery system/not allowing teams to get 3 consecutive top 3 picks to disincentivize tanking.   This is all speculation on my part, but I've read that a few these items are what players are asking for.