• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels’ #1 target must be Max Scherzer

On 8/27/2021 at 4:16 PM, AngelStew43 said:

I would LOVE to have Sandoval, Bachman, and Detmers to have the opportunity to learn from a pitcher like Scherzer. 

Would be pretty great to see a version of this from all the rest of our guys.

Max Scherzer GIFs | Tenor

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I quit deluding myself of this a couple years ago.  Payroll will be about 185 ish mil.  

So they'll have about 50 or so mil to spend.  Maybe a tad more.  

and let's be honest.  When, over the last several years, would that 'right' player have made the difference?  

I do agree that Scherzer would be a nice fit, but that probably means no Iglesias.  And frankly, Iglesias or any multi year deal for a closer doesn't seem like it would be Minasian's style.  

I'm seriously already mentally preparing myself for 20m per to Javy Baez.  

Actually, what I do think will happen is almost a repeat of last year.  A trade for a pen arm that's owed a bit of money for little given up.  A 1yr SS rental who supposedly plays good defense.  An ok 1yr FA pitcher.  A bet we'll re-sign Fowler.  A backup catcher.  Maybe a trade for another starter depending on the expected health of some guys.  

You're right - and I don't even want to set myself up for the notion that if there were ever a time for Arte to go "all in", to be willing to breach the "cap", this off-season would be it - that is, assuming we have a healthy Trout and that guy who plays 3rd base?  Whatever his name is - they're not getting any younger or healthier and if this team doesn't step forward, when the time comes, Ohtani might decide he needs a World Series ring, and walk when he has a chance.  

So, the time is right for Arte to go "all in" - to make a run before the clock runs out on this guys.

But so what?  Arte won't be suddenly breaching the salary "cap",  and so when it comes to acquisitions, next year will be Groundhog day, yet again.

We do have some young talent that will make the team worth watching - but it sure would be nice to play a meaningful baseball game in September ...

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I quit deluding myself of this a couple years ago.  Payroll will be about 185 ish mil.  

So they'll have about 50 or so mil to spend.  Maybe a tad more.  

and let's be honest.  When, over the last several years, would that 'right' player have made the difference?  

I do agree that Scherzer would be a nice fit, but that probably means no Iglesias.  And frankly, Iglesias or any multi year deal for a closer doesn't seem like it would be Minasian's style.  

I'm seriously already mentally preparing myself for 20m per to Javy Baez.  

Actually, what I do think will happen is almost a repeat of last year.  A trade for a pen arm that's owed a bit of money for little given up.  A 1yr SS rental who supposedly plays good defense.  An ok 1yr FA pitcher.  A bet we'll re-sign Fowler.  A backup catcher.  Maybe a trade for another starter depending on the expected health of some guys.  

That might not be the worst thing. I think you could argue that hadn't lost Rendon, Trout, and sometimes Upton to injury, and maybe just had one of Watson/Cishek or Bundy/Quintana perform well instead of average to horrible, they would've been right in the thick of the playoffs. We're close to a point where it's more about health and luck than it is depth. Depth's still an issue, specifically the bullpen, but we're close. In many ways it does feel kind of like 2000/2001 and things could come together quickly.

I actually think repeating last year's winter gameplan makes sense again. Try to take advantage of other team's trying to save money and fill a couple spots by taking on some money in trades for less impact players.

Try to repeat Raisel Iglesias by prying away Will Smith and his $13m owed from Atlanta, who like keeping payroll flexible. 
Try to repeat the Alex Cobb/Maddon favorite by calling on David Price and his $16m owed since the Dodgers will be tight with their Kershaw/Scherzer/Bauer focus. Maybe they still like Rengifo and Ward.
Could look towards Tampa if they need to offload Keirmaier to free up some salary as a 4th OF/platoon.
Sign a couple RP vets to cheapie $1-3m one-year deals like Watson and Cishek - these do work out sometimes, and if you've managed to re-sign Iglesias and acquire Smith, you have a good start.
Maybe exchange a couple of our 40-man/R5-eligible arms to cheaper teams who have RP guys entering arbitration, like Yan/Pina/Barria/Criswell/Tyler for the Dylan Floro, Caleb Thielbar, Kyle Zimmer, Tanner Scott's of the world.
After all of that, you can be opportunistic with the SS market and see if one of the many FA options becomes favorable on a one-year or back-loaded deal. 

10 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Signing top of the market free agents on the wrong side of 30?

I've seen this movie before.

On the bright side, this one would likely only be for three years (maybe plus option year), and for a guy pitching as well as ever.

Otherwise, agree on no more long term signings (5+ years) of age 30+ FA’s, although Ohtani would be 30 in 2024.

Okay, other than Ohtani, no more of those

Edited by Angel Oracle

29 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Or Arte sells the team and the new owner who actually cares about winning and not pinching pennies until the day he dies will sign Scherzer.

I believe Arte cares about winning.  He just doesn't know how to build a winner.  Calling him a "penny-pincher" is ludicrous. He spends plenty... he just doesn't spend wisely.

Edited by True Grich

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

The Angels aren't getting Scherzer.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

The Dodgers will re-sign him. Or he goes to NY.

31 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Scherzer not coming period. He will use Angels just like Cole and Bauer did. A veteran wants to go with a contender. Angels will have 6 straight losing seasons. Quit dreaming halo fans. Gausman not coming nor is Stroman. Halos only chance will be thru a trade. 

ohtani.jpg

28 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I believe Arte cares about winning.  He just doesn't know how to build a winner.  Calling him a "penny-pincher" is ludicrous. He spends plenty... he just doesn't spend wisely.

The state of our minor leaguers' living situations and endless 1-year deals say otherwise.