• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels’ #1 target must be Max Scherzer

Yes, he’s in the senior citizen portion of his career, but he has shown no signs of slowing down and will probably win another Cy Young.   Much of the problem of the bullpen has been its overuse.   Scherzer will help solve that issue. And, it would be nice to have an ace for once.  The last time the Halos had a pitcher of this caliber, they were known as the California Angels.  

I agree 100 percent with this.  Not only would he be the top of the rotation presence that we lack, but he would be an excellent teacher to all of our younger pitchers that we are trying to develop.  

I would LOVE to have Sandoval, Bachman, and Detmers to have the opportunity to learn from a pitcher like Scherzer. 

On 8/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, Puget Sound Angel said:

But will Arte step up?

It’s time for him to put his money where his mouth is.

He said years back that he would go over the tax threshold for the right player.

Scherzer is as good as they come on the mound, and won’t command a long term contract due to being 37 to start the 2022 season.

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It’s time for him to put his money where his mouth is.

He said years back that he would go over the tax threshold for the right player.

Scherzer is as good as they come on the mound, and won’t command a long term contract due to being 37 to start the 2022 season.

I quit deluding myself of this a couple years ago.  Payroll will be about 185 ish mil.  

So they'll have about 50 or so mil to spend.  Maybe a tad more.  

and let's be honest.  When, over the last several years, would that 'right' player have made the difference?  

I do agree that Scherzer would be a nice fit, but that probably means no Iglesias.  And frankly, Iglesias or any multi year deal for a closer doesn't seem like it would be Minasian's style.  

I'm seriously already mentally preparing myself for 20m per to Javy Baez.  

Actually, what I do think will happen is almost a repeat of last year.  A trade for a pen arm that's owed a bit of money for little given up.  A 1yr SS rental who supposedly plays good defense.  An ok 1yr FA pitcher.  A bet we'll re-sign Fowler.  A backup catcher.  Maybe a trade for another starter depending on the expected health of some guys.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I quit deluding myself of this a couple years ago.  Payroll will be about 185 ish mil.  

So they'll have about 50 or so mil to spend.  Maybe a tad more.  

and let's be honest.  When, over the last several years, would that 'right' player have made the difference?  

I do agree that Scherzer would be a nice fit, but that probably means no Iglesias.  And frankly, Iglesias or any multi year deal for a closer doesn't seem like it would be Minasian's style.  

I'm seriously already mentally preparing myself for 20m per to Javy Baez.  

Actually, what I do think will happen is almost a repeat of last year.  A trade for a pen arm that's owed a bit of money for little given up.  A 1yr SS rental who supposedly plays good defense.  An ok 1yr FA pitcher.  A bet we'll re-sign Fowler.  A backup catcher.  Maybe a trade for another starter depending on the expected health of some guys.  

I hate this.

You're right, but I fucking hate it.

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I hate this.

You're right, but I fucking hate it.

At this point we need to hit on all of Adell, Marsh, Detmers, Bachman, Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, etc etc, hope none of them gets injured, and accept the fact that we'll likely have 3-5 injured/ineffective hitters making too much money at any given time. At that point our talent level will overcome our incompetent owner and manager.