• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

5 MLB players to testify that Eric Kay supplied them with drugs

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Skaggs lawsuit is going to get interesting.

from the article..

Hardin claims the Angels promoted a “drug addict to an executive position” with “unlimited access to the Angels’ players.” Court papers allege that back in April 2019, Kay’s own family members reportedly informed Kay’s boss, Tim Mead that Kay was providing drugs to players within the organization and begged him to intervene but Mead failed to take action.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

from the article..

Hardin claims the Angels promoted a “drug addict to an executive position” with “unlimited access to the Angels’ players.” Court papers allege that back in April 2019, Kay’s own family members reportedly informed Kay’s boss, Tim Mead that Kay was providing drugs to players within the organization and begged him to intervene but Mead failed to take action.

I know I'll get slammed on here for saying this, given that he's a "friend of the board," but I've thought all along that Mead likely at least had some idea of what was going on with Kay. I still think that probably played a part in why he left the Angels-- and I still believe that it was also probably related to why he left his alleged dream job at the Hall of Fame so soon, as more details have come out.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:53 AM, Hells Rainbow said:

Maybe I’m being naive, but I’d assume the vetting process to become President of the Baseball HOF (which is a lifetime appointment) would be pretty thorough.  

They may have the Trump vetting process:

"I'll hire only the best people..."

Great young athletes participate in a lot of unsavory activity and there's a lot of pressure on organizations within a highly competitive industry to keep their assets happy. Every major and mid major college has the same shit going on. This is a part of sports culture. The bigger issue here is the fuck up/disregard/incompetence that led to Kay securing shitty drugs.

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Skaggs lawsuit is going to get interesting.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt the veracity of this story), the whole front office shares in the blame. There should be a housecleaning of every executive who was here while that was going on, because this sounds like an open secret that the Carpino, Mead, et al. had to be aware of. If they weren't, then they should be held accountable for their lack of awareness. There is no excuse. Everyone who was in the front office while this was happening, Carpino on down, needs to be sacked. 

I would say that Arte needs to sell the team as well, but I know that he won't, as the value has surely dipped because of this scandal--and because the team is...mediocre.

Until allegations are proven, I’m going to assume we simply have guys doing drugs with other guys, with the rich guys buying them and the other guy acquiring the drugs.  I’m not going to assume or believe the word of an addict that he shared all of this behavior up to Mead.  I admit the timing of his retirement seems odd.  if it’s found out to be a fact that Mead and Carpino knew then Carpino needs to be fired.  

I think Rob Manfred will have to weigh in on this case.  In essence, it seems like the Angels had a drug distribution ring going that maybe a single executive, maybe more, had knowledge.  This may be the thing that actually gets Arte removed as owner.  Can MLB really afford to take this type of publicity hit?  Either way, Manfred can’t ignore this. 

1 minute ago, bruin5 said:

I think Rob Manfred will have to weigh in on this case.  In essence, it seems like the Angels had a drug distribution ring going that maybe a single executive, maybe more, had knowledge.  This may be the thing that actually gets Arte removed as owner.  Can MLB really afford to take this type of publicity hit?  Either way, Manfred can’t ignore this. 

If they can’t prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that an executive knew then they can’t force Arte to sell. 

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Sounds like time for Arte to sell.   This entire org needs a reset.

Bad big FA contracts

Mostly bad FO hires 

Controversies galore (whether true or false)

Dude is 75, and not getting any younger.

Well whether the controversy is true or not kind of matters, right?  

6 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Until allegations are proven, I’m going to assume we simply have guys doing drugs with other guys, with the rich guys buying them and the other guy acquiring the drugs.  I’m not going to assume or believe the word of an addict that he shared all of this behavior up to Mead.  I admit the timing of his retirement seems odd.  if it’s found out to be a fact that Mead and Carpino knew then Carpino needs to be fired.  

Hardin is claiming that Kay's FAMILY, not Kay, told Mead what was going on.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Hardin is claiming that Kay's FAMILY, not Kay, told Mead what was going on.

2 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Could you imagine your family calling your boss and tell him/her that you are providing drugs to other people you work with? 

1 minute ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Could you imagine your family calling your boss and tell him/her that you are providing drugs to other people you work with? 

If they did (as claimed), then I think that just shows that they thought it was a really serious issue and it needed to be stopped in some way.  I'm aware of at least one instance like this occurring within the entertainment industry.  The parents of a young exec called his boss as a last resort to intercede.

14 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

If they can’t prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that an executive knew then they can’t force Arte to sell. 

First, it seems like they have good information that Mead was told by the family.  

Second, this isn’t a court of law.  Arte voluntarily joined an association. I’m sure he signed documents detailing ownership and reputational responsibilities.  Manfred probably needs some percentage of the other owners to agree and Arte is gone. 

Edited by bruin5

29 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Skaggs was a grown man. He knew what he was putting in his body.

I hope his family doesn’t get a handout from the angels bc he was a drug addict. 

Ummm... This wasn't cocaine. It was pain killer which Angels doctors may have put him on to start with. I'm not sure how much you have been following the issues with Oxycotin, but the company knowingly lied about how addictive it was. I'm not saying the team doctors are responsible for knowing about it either, but when a Dr. prescribes medicine for you, and you take it, you may be addicted before you know it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/health/purdue-pharma-opioids-settlement.html

16 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

First, it seems like they have good information that Mead was told by the family.  

Second, this isn’t a court of law.  Arte voluntarily joined an association. I’m sure he signed documents detailing ownership and reputational responsibilities.  Manfred probably needs some percentage of the other owners to agree and Arte is gone. 

Like I said, I’ll wait till the facts come out. 

31 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Ummm... This wasn't cocaine. It was pain killer which Angels doctors may have put him on to start with. I'm not sure how much you have been following the issues with Oxycotin, but the company knowingly lied about how addictive it was. I'm not saying the team doctors are responsible for knowing about it either, but when a Dr. prescribes medicine for you, and you take it, you may be addicted before you know it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/health/purdue-pharma-opioids-settlement.html

Correct and a responsible adult will seek help when they have a problem 

59 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

This is the Angels, the OTHER team in LA. MLB will be fine 

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt the veracity of this story), the whole front office shares in the blame. There should be a housecleaning of every executive who was here while that was going on, because this sounds like an open secret that the Carpino, Mead, et al. had to be aware of. If they weren't, then they should be held accountable for their lack of awareness. There is no excuse. Everyone who was in the front office while this was happening, Carpino on down, needs to be sacked. 

I would say that Arte needs to sell the team as well, but I know that he won't, as the value has surely dipped because of this scandal--and because the team is...mediocre.

I think it's important to separate what the feds say in their affidavits vs what the family attorney is claiming.  

The attorney, Kay, his family - every one of them has an interest in the placing the blame on the Angels and we've certainly seen how these claims can get exaggerated until the actual court date.  

And I find it a little difficult to believe that multiple family members took it upon themselves to call Tim Mead and tell them Kay was supplying drugs to players - presumably, to get him fired?  How would it be in Mead's interest to ignore that info?  He'd have to know how much big a risk he'd be taking by deliberately ignoring it - and for what?  To risk his career and the lives of players to protect some scumbag?? 

However, If it can be more-or-less proven that they *did* tell Mead this, and he swept it under the rug, then all hell will break loose - Skaggs' family wins their case, multiple players get outed for using illegal prescription pain-killers - I think there'd be a fair chance MLB would sanction the club.