• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels renew Trout @ 510K. Agent mad?

Scott34

Weak move by the Angels. A raise like ones given to other great rookies in recent memory wouldn't have broken the bank. Think of what they've wasted $200-300k on recently.   How much does Josh Hamilton's babysitter get?  I can see waiting on a ten year contract, but pinching pennies after a historic season by the future of your franchise makes little sense. 

His time is going to come.  When it does, you want him to want to stay.  You do things between now and then that won't get in the way. Maybe iit isn't a big deal (neither is the money) but how many times have we heard these players take offense being "disrespected" or something along those lines?  

He'll get raises each year even while he's still under control. If he continues to perform at the same level, those increases will be greater. And in all likelihood, he'll have a long term deal in place before his control is up.

He'll get raises each year even while he's still under control. If he continues to perform at the same level, those increases will be greater. And in all likelihood, he'll have a long term deal in place before his control is up.

Should be interesting to see if this becomes a pattern and the Angels end up going to an arbitration a couple years down the road arguing for something like half of what Trout's agent wants (like what happened with Mathis)

Big slap in the face if you ask me. I understand the Angels didn't have to give him a raise but the precedent has been set by other clubs. He won ROY and almost got the MVP. They should have rewarded that. So not only does Trout not get abraise, he also doesn't get to play the position he likes either. Why is this organization brilliant in some ways and absolutely stupid in so many others? It will be enfuriating if they keep low balling home grown talent and then drastically overpaying for free agents. We got lucky with Weaver cause he is from SoCal. The Angels better not count on getting as lucky with Trout.

I like how Trout said it's not a big deal and he knows he has to keep working hard and his time will come, but people here are pissed for him.

Also, I don't know Mike personally, but he doesn't strike me as the selfish and entitled type that is going to be pissed because of the pay and contract structure of the system.

I like how Trout said it's not a big deal and he knows he has to keep working hard and his time will come, but people here are pissed for him.

Also, I don't know Mike personally, but he doesn't strike me as the selfish and entitled type that is going to be pissed because of the pay and contract structure of the system.

I like how people take his public word and pretend that he may not feel otherwise.

I am not pissed or outraged.  I just want one person to give me one good reason not to bump his pay by a reasonable amount.  

I think you might be missing the point: compared to other good seasons by rookies, Trout is being paid percentage-wise very low. And yet, he had one of, if not *the* best rookie season of all time. It's not primarily about a few hundred thousand dollars, it's about respect.

The Angels are saying in effect that performance is irrelevant for first year players: there will be virtually no bonus if you do well. That's a dangerous message to be sending. Breeds bad results.

nope, I didn't miss anything. I don't think this is either a dangerous message nor will it breed bad results.

I like how people take his public word and pretend that he may not feel otherwise.

I am not pissed or outraged. I just want one person to give me one good reason not to bump his pay by a reasonable amount.

I like how people take his public statement and immediately assume it's just BS and really he's pissed.

Weaver sat out a year because the Angels wouldn't give him Prior money, and ended up signing for close to the Angels' original offer. Didn't seem to bother him enough to not accept a very team friendly extension.

I think you might be missing the point: compared to other good seasons by rookies, Trout is being paid percentage-wise very low. And yet, he had one of, if not *the* best rookie season of all time. It's not primarily about a few hundred thousand dollars, it's about respect.

The Angels are saying in effect that performance is irrelevant for first year players: there will be virtually no bonus if you do well. That's a dangerous message to be sending. Breeds bad results.

He had a good 3/4 of a season, hardly the sample size to start dishing out large sums of money (my favorite being those posters that say, "It's just x amount, no big deal.") It's a business, it has nothing to do with respect. The system he MLBPA and MLB have in place is the structure Mike and the team are following.

No, the Angels aren't saying that. They gave him a bump they didn't need to. Most rookies, even those that outperform their rookie contract don't get bumps. This isn't some 1099 commission based job where you alter pay or just hand out these bonuses you want based on performance. If he continues to play well, he will get paid well and knows so. It's not dangerous, it's the economic system of baseball. You don't see players giving back money to the owners when they don't perform.

I am not pissed or outraged.  I just want one person to give me one good reason not to bump his pay by a reasonable amount.  

I don't think anyone should look into anything said and just go by his word. The kid doesn't seem to be playing any media games. Actually, he looks more annoyed with the questions, much like Weaver, than anything.

The reason is because the CBA between the players and MLB dictate they don't have to. It may not be good enough for you, but it is good enough for everyone involved.

I think Mike knows how talented he is, and is a very confident guy that believes in himeslf and his ability.  In the grand scheme of his career, an extra few tens or hundreds of thousands aren't going to make much of a difference and I'm sure he knows that.  If he can play even remotely close to how he did last season, he'll be looking at $150M+ sooner rather than later.

Oh geez, another family member input. At least it's not as intense as some of the other sports and athletes. 

Also, what do you expect him to say? Trout is outperforming his contract in 3/4 of a season, but it's still a contract he signed.