• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Need some help East Coasters

I'm starting to look at places in the tri-state area (PA/NY/NJ) and I'm looking for a little input on good locations to move to. I'm moving out there in January but I still haven't decided on a location yet. I want to be near NYC but I know that you can get anywhere around there within an hour or two. Any advice on areas where its not incredibly overpriced? Its my first time living outside of SoCal. Any help would be most appreciated!

PA is too far away from NYC, Cory.

This is absolutely correct. For a few months in '07 I commuted from the Lehigh Valley to the Bronx daily working construction. I had to hit the GW Bridge by 6 AM because anytime after 6 you might as well pack your lunch because you'll be waiting a while. The money was good but life was essentially waking up, driving, working, driving home and immediately going to sleep.

Cory, I would be glad to help you if you can give me a little info:

Are you by yourself? Do you have work lined up? Do you want to buy or rent? What would your budget be?

Do you want to rely on mass transit, or drive a car? Do you want city, suburbs, rural, beach, etc..

I know NJ gets a bad rap, but it offers everything in a small package.

Cory, I would be glad to help you if you can give me a little info:

Are you by yourself? Do you have work lined up? Do you want to buy or rent? What would your budget be?

Do you want to rely on mass transit, or drive a car? Do you want city, suburbs, rural, beach, etc..

I know NJ gets a bad rap, but it offers everything in a small package.

I appreciate the help, NJ.

I'll be moving out there by myself. My boss is cool enough to let me keep my job and work from home until I get something else lined up out there.

I'm undecided if I'll swing a place myself or try to get some roommates. Probably go the roommate route to make it a little easier financially. I think I'd prefer the suburbs since thats what I'm used to and I gotta imagine its cheaper. Also, would be cool to be around some people my age in their early to mid 20s to be easier to adapt. I'll have my car with me, but I wouldn't mind the mass transit. I just want to be within a reasonable distance from the city or at least some type of entertainment hah. 

I like the idea of Millville lol.

OK, Some ideas

1. NYC-anything nice is going to be too expensive. Prices just keep going up

2. Hoboken NJ- Just across the river from NYC. This town is like another borough of NYC. You can get across the river very easy, either by ferry or subway. LOTS of restaurants, bars and clubs, and a lot to choose from for apartments. Your age group is the majority in this city. Rent will be much less than across the Hudson, and there are probably a lot of people looking for roommates.  Do not rent ground floor since Hoboken is low elevation, and can flood with extreme weather. http://www.hobokennj.org/visit/what-to-do/

3. Rutherford and Montclair NJ- These two towns both offer much of what Hoboken has, but on a smaller scale, with a little more suburban feel. Both have train stations with quick access to NYC, but are a little more car friendly than Hoboken. Apartments here will be less expensive than Hoboken. Both have great parks and recreation facilities.

4. Morristown and New Brunswick NJ- A little farther from NYC, but you can still get there in under one hour. Both are a good mix between urban and suburban, and have trains right to NYC.

5. Red Bank NJ- Close to the beach, and a very happening downtown. Nice spot. You can be in NYC in about 40 minutes, and to Atlantic City in a little over an hour.

Is there anything you like to do that would help with location? (ski, beach, golf, shop, bike, etc...)

If you have any specific questions, fire away. I will do my best to help you.

The combo of the Cross Bronx Expressway to I-95 thru Connecticut is like Purgatory for me. I used to have to drive that route twice a week for work. I aged 10 years in 24 months.

The best thing about Millville is Mike Trout. It is a nice little town, but it's location is not close to anything.

OK, Some ideas

1. NYC-anything nice is going to be too expensive. Prices just keep going up

2. Hoboken NJ- Just across the river from NYC. This town is like another borough of NYC. You can get across the river very easy, either by ferry or subway. LOTS of restaurants, bars and clubs, and a lot to choose from for apartments. Your age group is the majority in this city. Rent will be much less than across the Hudson, and there are probably a lot of people looking for roommates.  Do not rent ground floor since Hoboken is low elevation, and can flood with extreme weather. http://www.hobokennj.org/visit/what-to-do/

3. Rutherford and Montclair NJ- These two towns both offer much of what Hoboken has, but on a smaller scale, with a little more suburban feel. Both have train stations with quick access to NYC, but are a little more car friendly than Hoboken. Apartments here will be less expensive than Hoboken. Both have great parks and recreation facilities.

4. Morristown and New Brunswick NJ- A little farther from NYC, but you can still get there in under one hour. Both are a good mix between urban and suburban, and have trains right to NYC.

5. Red Bank NJ- Close to the beach, and a very happening downtown. Nice spot. You can be in NYC in about 40 minutes, and to Atlantic City in a little over an hour.

Is there anything you like to do that would help with location? (ski, beach, golf, shop, bike, etc...)

If you have any specific questions, fire away. I will do my best to help you.

Damn, NJ. You're killing it haha. Hoboken and Rutherford/Montclair sound solid. That's probably what I'm looking for. I'm not necessarily looking to be near anything special. I just want to give the east coast life a try. Be able to explore the city, hit up some nice bars, be close to sports. One of my goals is to knock out as many stadiums/arenas off my list as possible.

Cory, what's making you move to the east coast?

I just want to try something different. Been feeling like I'm in a rut out here. I've always wanted to live out there. Probably stay out there for a year or two and see how it is and decide if its where I want to move permanently. If not, I can always move back.

I have some friends that do that. Not a lot of stability and I'm not sure how they make it work, but they just travel from place to place every few years living in Hollywood, NYC, Providence, Hawaii, and Chicago just within the past ten years. Not saying that's your goal, but I think it's cool when people can just pack up and move somewhere to experience life.

Keep in mind, depending on how much stuff you take with you, it costs damn near 10k to move to the east coast after you consider the cost of movers, deposits, misc expenses, gas, etc.  We have been seriously looking at a move to the Milwaukee area and the only thing that has stopped us from going this summer is the cost of the move.  It will probably happen but it is damn expensive.