• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels not shutting down Mike Trout … or rushing him back

ANAHEIM — Despite an injury considered “tricky” and a rehab that was aborted three weeks ago, the Angels have no plans to shut down center fielder Mike Trout for the remainder of the season.

The Angels can still see the best of the American League wild-card contenders from where they currently stand, which was officially 7-1/2 games back of the second spot at the start of play Wednesday.

But this is also Trout, a three-time American League MVP and nine-time All-Star who no doubt thinks about his day job, even when he might be on vacation.

“If you’ve been injured, you really want to play before the offseason if it turns out to be that way, whether it’s sooner rather than later,” Manager Joe Maddon said. “You want to go into those offseason months knowing ‘Hey, I played again, I felt good, everything’s fine.’

“But hey we’re not giving up on anything.”

Angels general manager Perry Minasian said Trout, out since mid-May with a right calf strain, has every intention of playing again this season.

“Calves are tricky and the one thing about Mike is that I have been around a lot of players (but) I haven’t been around many who love the game as much as he does,” Minasian said. “He’s doing everything he can, within his power, to get back as soon as he can. From our end, we will not rush him.”

Trout last played May 17, giving him just 36 games this season with a .333 batting average, a 1.090 OPS and eight home runs with 18 RBIs.

WALSH BACK AT FIRST

White Trout continues to recover, first baseman Jared Walsh was activated from the injured list on Wednesday, ending his two-week recovery from a right intercostal strain.

Walsh was inserted into the starting lineup, batting third behind leadoff man Shohei Ohtani and No. 2 hitter David Fletcher.

“He took really hard swings without any concern so it was a good day for him,” Maddon said.

AT THE TOP

Ohtani was back in the leadoff spot for the second consecutive game after hitting there in the second game of Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Blue Jays. Maddon hopes the move might cut down on the number of intentional walks Ohtani receives.

“I’m trying to protect him with the whole lineup,” Maddon said. “If they choose not to (pitch to Ohtani), I feel like Fletch is going to move the baseball. … The other part is that if they want to walk him, go ahead and let him run the bases. Try to take advantage of his talents in another way, possibly.”

In 23 career plate appearances from the leadoff spot, before Wednesday, Ohtani had three extra-base hits among his four total hits with three walks.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 6-1, 2.93 ERA) vs. Blue Jays (RHP Jose Berrios, 8-5, 3.23), Thursday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

There are 47 games left after tonight. The dude is apparently doing less than he was a few weeks ago. Given how long he's been out and the fact that he'll have to do a rehab assignment before being activated, even the most optimistic outlook would have him playing, what, 35 games the rest of the way? What's the point? I guess ticket sales.  Ha.

34 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

The truth is, he'll be back either this year or next year. That's all we need to know. We should all just shut up and mind our own business. It's not appropriate for fans to question anything about this team or its players. Just cough up the money and enjoy the action on the field, no matter how awful. 

Or don’t cough up the money for things that make you miserable. 

This is all part of another roller coaster of a season.  I’m just thankful we have baseball back and I hope the new collective bargaining agreement negotiations go well and we don’t see an interruption in play next year. 

I realized a long time ago, all things baseball are basically out of my control. All I can do is control how I react to it. I cannot get too worked up over whether or not Trout will be back or not. 

I hope he comes back strong, but I just don’t think about it all that much. I would like to believe he’s doing everything he can to get back and play at his best. 

Again, I’m just happy to have Angels baseball at all.

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

This is all part of another roller coaster of a season.  I’m just thankful we have baseball back and I hope the new collective bargaining agreement negotiations go well and we don’t see an interruption in play next year. 

I realized a long time ago, all things baseball are basically out of my control. All I can do is control how I react to it. I cannot get too worked up over whether or not Trout will be back or not. 

I hope he comes back strong, but I just don’t think about it all that much. I would like to believe he’s doing everything he can to get back and play at his best. 

Again, I’m just happy to have Angels baseball at all.

And the team is showing at least some promise in terms of prospects and pitching. Better than the dark ages when it was Trout and maybe hope Cowart can hit above .220

Just now, AngelsFaninGA said:

And the team is showing at least some promise in terms of prospects and pitching. Better than the dark ages when it was Trout and maybe hope Cowart can hit above .220

Absolutely. Lots of good stories around this season and the team. Of course, I’d rather see them winning, but I can’t say I haven’t enjoyed lots of things about the team and season.

5 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I will say, I’d be a lot more happier if they would at least beat the f’ing A’s.

Well at least with the cheating ass Ramon Laureano gone for 80 days, that’s one less Angel killer we have to worry about.

The dude was a one man Angel-wrecking crew.  Good riddance.

Looks like they will be in a spoiler role the rest of the year. Realistically there are too many clubs ahead in the wild card race. But if they can somehow get within five games in the next couple of weeks maybe having Trout back at least makes it interesting. 

For all the negativity, if this team can finish the season above five hundred it wouldn't have been a total disaster. Considering the long term injuries to Trout and Rendon and all the roster juggling a strong finish may be something to build on next year. And even a small mathematical chance may be strong motivation for Trout if/when he gets back. After all, there were a number of seasons where there was no hope at all during his career. 

The best thing to hope for are that Adell, Marsh,Detmers and the other younger players progress adequately enough to feel comfortable going into next season.  

You bring him back, you will potentially win more games (in a losing season effort). Keep him on the IL and you will potentially lose more games (in a losing season effort).

As much as the team would normally bring him back as soon as possible, why risk it in a losing season? Better to be really vigilant about his health and if he stays on some extra time, it might hurt ticket sales, but has no material impact on the season.

Edited by ettin