• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Today: AngelsWin.com's Midseason Top-30 Los Angeles Angels Prospects

12 minutes ago, ettin said:

Beyond what @totdprods said, you have to consider that the supposed, hypothetical Marlins trade for Meyer would have involved Marsh and his call up was, in part, likely a showcase of his abilities at the Major League level, which, despite his poor numbers, was solid, in terms of defense, and I think everyone sees that with a little more Major League at-bat's, his plate discipline will flourish further and more of those balls in play will fall into the gaps or even over the fence.

I like Marsh a lot, I hope he doesn't go anywhere, but if he does, a high-quality starter should be the return, obviously.

To more directly answer your question, Marsh has 5-tool capability on the baseball field, he will be a solid Major Leaguer once he irons out his "newness".

The Meyer trade idea was fun and something we've all wanted to see explored the last couple of seasons, but I'm not sure I make that trade anymore...

We're seeing firsthand how bad this offense is with Trout and Rendon out. Add the time missed by Upton and Walsh and it gets grim fast. 

If Adell or Marsh get moved, it needs to be for a guy who will step into the rotation and give you at minimum a sub 4.00 ERA and 180 innings right off the bat. Someone like Meyer who might need a season or two to learn isn't what we need given the progress our pitching made this year both on the field and in the draft. 

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

A BB% of 12.4% when the league average is 8% is a good indicator that Marsh already has the pitch recognition and discipline to be a good hitter.

He’s always been a patient hitter and that can be a challenge when you get to the bigs and you encounter pitchers who are much better at coming back from down in the count, have much better stuff to get you swinging with two strikes, are much better at attacking hitters…

Marsh is taking a lot of pitches in his at-bats currently, which is a good sign. He just hasn’t mastered the fouling off/connecting on two-strike counts yet and MLB pitchers are much better than minor leaguers at putting a hitter like Marsh away. For now.

Also, power hadn’t really been there in the minors for him yet. It develops last and he has all the makings of a guy who can get above-average power eventually. It took Charlie Blackmon three partial seasons and 162 games to hit his 10th HR. 

But should he go back to AAA now or stay and try to adjust?  We need to keep him and Adell, we need them next year.

35 minutes ago, ettin said:

Beyond what @totdprods said, you have to consider that the supposed, hypothetical Marlins trade for Meyer would have involved Marsh and his call up was, in part, likely a showcase of his abilities at the Major League level, which, despite his poor numbers, was solid, in terms of defense, and I think everyone sees that with a little more Major League at-bat's, his plate discipline will flourish further and more of those balls in play will fall into the gaps or even over the fence.

I like Marsh a lot, I hope he doesn't go anywhere, but if he does, a high-quality starter should be the return, obviously.

To more directly answer your question, Marsh has 5-tool capability on the baseball field, he will be a solid Major Leaguer once he irons out his "newness".

I agree.  I don't think his performance in the majors has hurt his value at all.  I imagine GMs drooling.

26 minutes ago, Revad said:

But should he go back to AAA now or stay and try to adjust?  We need to keep him and Adell, we need them next year.

I agree.  I don't think his performance in the majors has hurt his value at all.  I imagine GMs drooling.

Keep him here all year long, Adell too. If they struggle I do not think it hurts their trade value, and they start at SLC next year. 
If they kick ass, it goes a long way to insuring we're in better shape next season if Upton struggles, Trout gets hurt, etc., and it ups their trade value. 

I don't see much reason to bump them to SLC unless Upton starts raking, Trout returns soon and doesn't miss a beat, and the Angels find themselves in the thick of the WC race, and even then, you could use both of the bench unless they're totally hurt by lack of playing time or struggling.

He's been sort of the forgotten prospect this year with Adell and Marsh reaching the majors and Paris and Vera impressing down in the lower-levels, but I really, really like what Jeremiah Jackson has done this year and it's a bummer the quad strain has slowed his season down. You want to see progress from a prospect, and he's shown it.

He needed to prove his power in the Pioneer League wasn't a fluke, and he needed to show improvement with his discipline. He was still striking out quite a bit, but his power was as good as before if not better, and he was walking at a really nice clip (10.5%) for someone with his swing-and-miss tendencies. After an ugly first 6 games, he slashed .274/.347/.581/.928 with a 60 double, 40 HR, 80 BB, and yes, 220 K 162-game pace over his next 33 G/144 PA - and he actually got better if you keep trimming those 33 games to the most recent 20 or 10 games. Really good signs. 

Should the Angels sign a big FA SS or Vera, Paris, etc. keep developing, there might not be much reason to keep Jackson at SS and he could turn into a really interesting OF prospect too. 

With all the graduations set to happen between this year and next, Jackson could wind up near the top if he returns and keeps it up.

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

For what its worth, no one ranked CRod first and only Inside Pitch ranked him 2nd. Second Base ranked him 6th, but the rest of us (7 of 9) ranked him 3rd or 4th. Of the nine of us, only IP and myself ranked him ahead of Detmers.

Top fives by Posse member:

@Angelsjunky: Marsh, Adell, Rodriguez, Detmers, Paris

@Chuckster70: Detmers, Adell, Rodriguez, Marsh, Bachman

@Inside Pitch: Marsh, Rodriguez, Detmers, Adell, Paris

@Second Base: Marsh, Detmers, Adell, Bachman, Adams

@Dave Saltzer: Detmers, Marsh, Rodriguez, Adell, Bachman

@ettin: Adell, Marsh, Detmers, Rodriguez, Vera

@rafibomb: Detmers, Adell, Marsh, Rodriguez, Bachman

@Dochalo: Detmers, Marsh, Rodriguez, Adell, Bachman

@totdprods: Detmers, Adell, Marsh, Rodriguez, Bachman

You are letting out the secret sauce..... 

19 hours ago, ettin said:

I'll speak for myself, but definitely think that other members of the posse would agree, that this list was much harder to build and categorize than in recent years. Legitimately this system is going to rise pretty quickly in national rankings, presuming the Angels don't make a bunch of near-term trades. There are clearly old (Marsh, Vera, et al) and new (Quero, Daniel, et al) on the list and a lot of prospects who were borderline to even make the list, in the past, who have suddenly taken a big step forward (and the shortened season last year probably adds to that perception).

From my perspective it was much harder to rank these guys, this time around, which made me happy. 😄

I very much agree that ranking the prospects at this point is probably the most challenging that it's been in about a decade. There are obvious tiers in the prospects in terms of talent. And there are obvious waves of talent based on age and development. But, the best news is that there is a lot more talent in the system. And it is very young with lots of upside. We have many arms to fix the rotation and bullpen, even excluding those who are likely to graduate. The future is a lot brighter for Angels fans. 

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

The Meyer trade idea was fun and something we've all wanted to see explored the last couple of seasons, but I'm not sure I make that trade anymore...

We're seeing firsthand how bad this offense is with Trout and Rendon out. Add the time missed by Upton and Walsh and it gets grim fast. 

If Adell or Marsh get moved, it needs to be for a guy who will step into the rotation and give you at minimum a sub 4.00 ERA and 180 innings right off the bat. Someone like Meyer who might need a season or two to learn isn't what we need given the progress our pitching made this year both on the field and in the draft. 

I would be willing to offer Adams and Jackson for Meyer and see if we can work out a deal. 

4 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I would be willing to offer Adams and Jackson for Meyer and see if we can work out a deal. 

Oh certainly, definitely worth exploring. You can even talk Adell or Marsh still, just saying it isn’t the slam dunk no brainer pull the trigger type deal that we’ve been salivating for the last couple years. The efforts to fix the pitching in the farm are looking to have helped that a bit. 

Marlins have some interesting relievers and MLB level guys like Alfaro, Cooper, Rojas worth exploring too. 

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

personally felt like it was actually easier.  For me there was a clear top 14 or 15 and then a bunch of other guys to fill in the rest.  In the past there were like 5 or 6 guys and the rest was like making stuff up.  

That's pretty much how I felt. After Bush (#16) on my list, it got hard and put Guzman next because of the upside, but the next ten or so guys could have been ordered in a variety of ways.

If it means we could keep Trout healthier during the back half of his career, I’d rather keep Marsh and not trade him.  He might not be hitting now but he brings value on defense and despite his average has a 13% BB rate.  

Adell looks to have improved his defense overall (low bar) but cannot play center.  

If something like Adams and Jackson gets us Meyer, then sure, but I believe it would take quite a bit more. 

I would not trade Marsh nor Adell. 

Adell has looked really nice since returning. Much better at bats. Ks will be in his game but he looks like a different player compared to last year. 

Similar to the adjustments that Adell made, Marsh is on a similar path. One thing that Adell lacks, is marsh ability to work the strike zone. Marsh just needs to make an adjustment with his hands, less movement, and the hits will come. 

Also these talks about trading prospects for Meyers. Personally I feel like we have enough depth with the young cord that we do not need to make a trade for propescts. 

At the Moment, we have;

Othani

Sandy

Rodriguez

Detmers

Barria

Suarez

Canning

all trying to make the Rotation

Than we Have Bachman, Davis, Pina in the Minors that could also be in the Depth chart for next year. Than include the money we have that can be used for a starter or re-sign Cobb. 

LAstly, Adams had a down year, and he starting to pick up and the value is low so i would later wait than make a trade. 

20 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I might be hesitant on that.

I kind of want to wait a year and see how Adell and Adams both progress, before deciding on which one to keep long term with Trout and Marsh in the OF.

A Trout/Adams/Marsh defensive OF could be crazy good.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I like it. We have lots of arms whose floor is late innings reliever (we've needed that for years) and whose ceiling is top of the rotation arm. We also have some toolsy hitters who have a good eye. That Plasensia slash line (.226/.407/.484), albeit in Rookie ball, really stands out. 

Obviously, not every player on this list pans out. However, if 4-5 of them do...

So assuming C-Rod, Detmers, Adell, Marsh are not eligible for our 2022 Top-30 Prospects rankings, who do you got 1-4 after the season has concluded?

I'm guessing

1. Bachman, 2. Paris, 3. Vera, 4. Jackson, 5. Adams?

Maybe Daniel Davis, Robinson Pina or Ky Bush sneak into the top 5? For me, Adams needs to finish strong if he makes the top 5 IMO. Same could be said for Jackson as well who's been out with a quad injury for nearly a month now. 

On 8/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, AngelsWin.com said:

2021-prospect-rankings.png.87ecceae4f4f27b22798ba380d573fb4.png

By The AngelsWin.com Prospect Posse

Welcome to our updated 2021 prospects list. After the tragedy that was a lost minor league season in 2020, we were very excited to see our minor leaguers in action. The big surprise this year is the veritable explosion of pitching, from strong performances by top prospects Reid Detmers and Chris Rodriguez, to the emergence of lesser-known guys like Davis Daniel and Robinson Pina, as well as many fringe guys all of a sudden becoming legitimate major league depth in the near future.

The Prospect Posse: Who Are We?

We are a group of nine regular contributors to this website, all of whom consider eyewitness accounts, scouting reports, statistical analysis, and just gut feeling in our assessment. We feel that our list is stronger for the fact that it includes nine contributors, all with slightly different emphases, both in terms of how we consider prospects, and what sort of guys stand out to us. As one can see with the “ranking ranges,” there is often wide disagreement, but it all evens out to provide what we feel is a very strong list.

One thing to note is that the lower in the rankings one gets, the more interchangeable the ordering. In terms of the methodology used to compile this list, some of the prospects are grouped in clusters. For instance, while there’s a gap between #10 and #11, the next three guys (#11-13) are all very close, as are #14-15, and #19-21. There is a large gap between #21 and #22, as well as after #25. In our methodology, there is a similar gap between #17 and #26 as there is between #26 and #50.

To put that another way, we—as a group—are rather clear on who our top 25 are, and how they are tiered in their relative rankings, but after that it is less clear.

Without further ado, here are our updated rankings:

1. REID DETMERS (21, LHP)

Detmers-removebg-preview (1).png

Ranking Range: 1-4 Change: +3

Stats: 3.15 ERA, 13, GS, 60 IP, 18 BB, 106 SO in AA/AAA; 10.61 ERA in 2 GS in majors

Detmers has been all that we hoped for and more, largely due to his increased fastball velocity. Despite early struggles in his first two Major League starts, he has shown the flashes of excellence that led him to be our Top Prospect on this list. The floor for Detmers is very high—that of a good mid-rotation starter—but he could be better than that.

2. BRANDON MARSH (23, OF)

Marsh-removebg-preview.png

Ranking Range: 1-4 Change: Same

Stats: 28 games, .287/.398/.528, 4 HR, in 28 Rk/AAA | 19 games, .154/.257/.215 in 21 major league games

Marsh missed much of the first half due to injury, but when he returned, he completely destroyed AAA pitchers (.382/.417/.735 in 8 games), before being called up. He’s struggled in his first exposure to major league pitching but shows flashes of a well-rounded game. In some ways he’s the hitting version of Detmers: very high floor, with a good ceiling, that of an All-Star who is plus in just about every facet of the game.

3. JO ADELL (22, OF)

Adell-removebg-preview.png

Ranking Range: 1-4 Change: -2

Stats: 73 games, .289/.342/.592, 23 HR in 73 AAA games | .304/.360/.478 in 6 major league games

Adell started the year with 7 walks and 57 strikeouts in his first 37 AAA games, but in the next 36 games he doubled his walk rate (15) and cut his strikeouts (42). In his first week in the majors, he’s looked like a completely different player than last year. Jo will require patience, but his ceiling is still very high and his ability to translate his power into the game is improving.

4. CHRIS RODRIGUEZ (23, RHP)

Crod-removebg-preview (1).png

Ranking Range: 2-6 Change: -1

Stats: 3.64 ERA, 29.2 IP, 15 BB, 29 SO in 15 games and 2 starts in the majors

Rodriguez has had an interesting path this year, starting in the major league bullpen after only 78.2 professional innings, and none above A+. He held his own and, after an injury layoff, was sent to AA to be stretched out as a starter. The future still looks bright, and like Detmers he has the potential to be a TOR arm.

5. SAM BACHMAN (21, RHP)

Bachman-removebg-preview.png

Ranking Range: 4-10 Change: New

Stats: 0.00 in 1 GS, 2 IP, 0 BB, 2 SO in A+ ball

The Angels surprised everyone when they picked Bachman ahead of Kumar Rocker, although that seems less controversial now that Rocker and the Mets failed to reach an agreement. The big question is whether Bachman can stick as a starter, with some concerned about his violent delivery. But the stuff is immense, including a fastball that reaches triple digits and a slider to die for. Even if the Angels convert him to relief, he could be an elite closer.

6. KYREN PARIS (19, 2B)

Paris-removebg-preview.png.f385d654f7c6d9336732ca7bfed41455.png

Ranking Range: 5-8 Change: +1

Stats: .302/.444/.535, 2 HR, 13 SB, and 18 BB in 23 games in A/Rookie ball

Paris started the season hot, but then went down with a fractured fibula for a couple months. He just got back to A ball and is continuing where he left off, displaying speed, defense, contact ability, discipline, and even a touch of power.

7. AROL VERA (18, SS)

arol_vera_billmitchell-removebg-preview.png.3d7313d5be698f66f51ec6a53964d37c.png

Ranking Range: 5-9 Change: +3

Stats: .317/.387/.471 in 26 Rookie ball games

Vera started the year scalding hot, hitting over .400 for his first week or so, but has cooled off, in a 1-15 funk as of this writing; still, a very promising start to his professional career.

8. JORDYN ADAMS (21, OF)

673421243_JordynAdams__1_-removebg-preview.png.f0e14f17e8674e2c2e345d6f0135f752.png

Ranking Range: 5-11 Change: -3

Stats: .207/.278/.341 in 46 games in A+

The luster has dimmed somewhat as Adams has struggled this year, although some of that may be due to an injury that kept him out for six weeks. The talent is there, but it remains to be seen whether he can convert it to baseball skills.

9. JEREMIAH JACKSON (21, IF)

A_I5p-6N-removebg-preview.png

Ranking Range: 6-11 Change: -1

Stats: .248/.322/.510 in 39 games in A ball Jackson continued where he left off in 2019, but at a level higher: lots of HR and strikeouts, although there are signs of slight improvement in BB%. He’s been out with quad strain for the last month and a half.

10. ALEXANDER RAMIREZ (18, OF)

D93MorcU0AAioB3-removebg-preview.png.d490194ffaa2a7274acf104241f8596f.png

Ranking Range: 8-14 Change: +3

Stats: .290/.380/.548 in 23 Rookie games

With Adell and Marsh in the majors, Ramirez is arguably the highest upside bat in the Angels system.

(11-30 rankings)

11. JACK KOCHANOWICZ (20, RHP)

Ranking Range: 11-17 Change: -6

Stats: 6.75 ERA in 14 GS, 57.1 IP, 26 BB, 50 SO in A ball

Kochanowicz is a work in progress, but the Angels are focusing in on developing his individual pitches, so don’t worry too much about that ERA. He'll require patience, but remains one of the higher upside pitchers in the organization.

12. ADRIAN PLACENCIA (18, 2B)

Ranking Range: 8-24 Change: +16

Stats: .226/.407/.484 in 19 Rookie games

Placencia was noted for his sweet swing and, so far, the results are promising, displaying advanced plate discipline in his first professional season.

13. KY BUSH (21, LHP)

Ranking Range: 9-18 Change: New

Stats: NA

The Angels 2nd round pick in the 2021 Amateur Draft, Bush improved over his college career and could end up being a steal in the second round.

14. DAVIS DANIEL (24, RHP)

Ranking Range: 14-22 Change: +17

Stats: 2.47 ERA in 14 GS, 73 IP, 25 BB, 100 SO in A+/AA ball

While the focus has been on Detmers and Rodriguez, Daniel has not-so-quietly made a huge impression in his first full professional season, dominating A+ and adjusting quickly to AA. On the depth chart for the major league club next year, as either a starter or reliever.

15. EDGAR QUERO (18, C)

Ranking Range: 12-27 Change: New

Stats: .304/.513/.679 in 20 games in Rookie ball

Quero is one to dream on: an international signing who has utterly dominated Rookie ball. While it is very, very early, it is hard not to be excited about a hard-hitting catching prospect.

16. ROBINSON PINA (22, RHP)

Ranking Range: 13-33 Change: +10

Stats: 3.48 ERA in 16 GS, 75 IP, 46 BB, 107 SO in A/A+ ball

After a rough beginning to the season and a demotion to A ball, Pina has been impressive in his return to A+. Like Daniel, if he doesn’t stick in the rotation he could end up as a high leverage major league reliever.

17. ALEJANDRO HIDALGO (18, RHP)

Ranking Range: 13-32 Change: New

Stats: 3.55 ERA IN 4 GS, 25.1 IP, 8 BB, 30 SO In Rookie ball

An international signing, Hidalgo has impressed with his first exposure state-side.

18. DENZER GUZMAN (17, SS)

Ranking Range: 14-Not Ranked  Change: New

Stats: .296/.333/.333 in 8 games in the Dominican Rookie league.

Not much to go on yet, but Guzman’s scouting profile and chatter shows a lot of promise. 

19. WERNER BLAKELY (18, IF)

Ranking Range: 14-NR Change: Same

Stats: .214/.385/.314 in 21 games in Rookie ball

Another raw but talented young middle infielder, Blakely has displayed excellent plate discipline in his first season.

20. D’SHAWN KNOWLES (20, OF)

Ranking Range: 14-NR Change: -4

Stats: .225/.284/.355 in 62 games in A ball (23 of 24 in stolen bases)

It is hard not to be disappointed with Knowles’ performance this year, as his numbers have trended down over the last few seasons. Of interest, he's played a few games at shortstop, implying that the Angels want to diversify his skill-set.

21. JANSON JUNK (25, RHP)

Ranking Range: 16-NR Change: New

Stats: 2.14 ERA in 15 games, 13 starts; 21 BB and 72 SO in 71.1 IP in AA 

A new arrival from the Andrew Heaney trade, Junk has dominated AA this year, and joins the Angels’ increasingly deep pool of second tier minor league starters who provide a bit of insurance in the coming years.

22. ERIK RIVERA (20, LHP/OF)

Ranking Range: 20-NR Change: New

Stats: 1 GS, 3.1 IP, 1 BB, 6 SO

After a promising first game, Rivera was shut down. His return time is unknown.

23. MICHAEL STEFANIC (25, IF)

Ranking Range: 10-NR Change: New

Stats: .334/.405/.487 in 79 AA/AAA games

Angels fans hope they have another in the tradition of Walsh, Fletcher and Calhoun: a late-round draftee who sneaks up on you. While he probably ends up as a major league utility infielder, it is hard to argue with his numbers this year, which are similar at both levels.

24. HECTOR YAN (22, LHP)

Ranking Range: 17-NR Change: -13

Stats: 5.80 ERA in 16 GS, 68.1 IP, 44 BB and 73 SO in A+ ball

An overall disappointing year for Yan so far, largely due to control issues. A move to relief is probably inevitable and might benefit him.

25. WILLIAM HOLMES (20, RHP/OF)

Ranking Range: 15-NR Change: -9

Stats: NA

Holmes hasn’t played a pro game this year, remaining in the Arizona complex.

26. ORLANDO MARTINEZ (23, OF)

Ranking Range: 14-NR Change: +3

Stats: .247/.299/.441 in 74 games in AA

Some still like his bat skills, but the results aren’t there yet. Could carve out a career as a platoon/bench outfielder.

27. BRENDON DAVIS (24, IF/OF)

Ranking Range: 15-NR Change: New

Stats: .285/.350/.554, 20 HR and 10 SB in 79 games in A+/AA

One of the biggest surprises on the farm this year, former Rangers farmhand Davis has crushed the ball, his numbers even better in 16 AA games (.306/.403/.629). At the least, he’s a real sleeper.

28. JHONATHAN DIAZ (24, LHP)

Ranking Range: 10-NR Change: New

Stats: 2.22 ERA, 10 G/6 GS; 9 BB and 65 SO in 48.2 IP in AA

Diaz has been very impressive, although has lost a lot of time to injury. Another on the second-tier depth chart for next year.

29. LANDON MARCEAUX (21, RHP)

Ranking Range: 18-NR Change: New

Stats: NA

The Angels third-round pick in the draft, Marceaux could rise quickly, although has a limited ceiling.

30. DAVID CALABRESE (18, OF)

Ranking Range: 23-NR Change: -18

Stats: .136/.240/.152 in 19 games in Rookie ball

While Calabrese has been completely over-matched in his first taste of pro ball, he’s still very young. 

The Next Twenty (#31-50): Oliver Ortega, Aaron Herandez, Mason Albright, Ryan Smith, Jose Bonilla, Stiward Aquino, Jose Marte, Edwin Yon, Kevin Maitan, Luke Murphy, Packy Naughton, Livan Soto, Kyle Tyler, Adam Seminaris, Coleman Crow, Cooper Criswell, David MacKinnon, Edwin Hidalgo, Sam Peguero, Jose Salvador.

If you'd like to see our more in depth Top-30 Prospects entering the 2021 season with more scouting reports, you can check that out here.

View the full article

Just popping in here to say we updated our Midseason Top-30 Prospects logo. Looks fresh!

Thanks, @TroutBaseball

2021-prospect-rankings.png.87ecceae4f4f27b22798ba380d573fb4.png

On 8/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Maybe Daniel Davis, Robinson Pina or Ky Bush sneak into the top 5? For me, Adams needs to finish strong if he makes the top 5 IMO. Same could be said for Jackson as well who's been out with a quad injury for nearly a month now. 

Bush feels like a guy that will rise pretty quickly. Lefty with upper 90s fastball and a decent slider? Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the MLB bullpen next year if his command is good enough.