• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout gets positive news from tests on his calf

ANAHEIM — Mike Trout got more encouraging news on Thursday, but it wasn’t enough to provide any more clarity on when the Angels star will be back on the field.

Trout saw a doctor and underwent scans, which showed continued healing, Manager Joe Maddon said.

“Everything was good and it’s healing really well,” Maddon said. “I keep saying the same things, but he has to feel it. And once he feels it he can get back out there. I mean not feel it.”

Trout has now missed more than 10 weeks with a strained calf that was expected to keep him out of the lineup for six to eight weeks. Last week he said he felt he was close to a rehab assignment, but after a couple of days of running the bases he apparently still felt some discomfort, and the progress was then stalled.

Since then, he’s been in a holding pattern.

Trout said through a team spokesman that he was “encouraged,” but he said he would wait to address reporters until he had more of an update on his progress.

CISHEK’S ROLE

Maddon said he is still confident in the work of reliever Steve Cishek, even a day after Cishek was charged with three runs (two earned) on Thursday night.

Although he has a 3.83 ERA, he has issued 5.8 walks per nine innings. He’s also allowed 48 percent of inherited runners to score. The major league average is 35 percent.

“Overall Shek’s body of work has been pretty good,” Maddon said. “He looked pretty good in Minnesota (last weekend). We’ve just got to get these guys work (to be) more consistent.”

NOTES

Alex Cobb, who had been originally scheduled to pitch on Thursday night, has not been inserted back into the Angels’ rotation yet, because of uncertainty over his blister. The Angels are scheduled to have Patrick Sandoval, Jaime Barria and Shohei Ohtani pitch the final three games of this four-game series. …

Utility man José Rojas is currently on the injured list at Triple-A after suffering a broken finger last week. He is currently rehabbing in Arizona.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Patrick Sandoval, 3-4, 3.52 ERA) vs. A’s (RHP Chris Bassitt, 10-3, 3.46), Friday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

This is a total Debbie Downer and I really hope I'm wrong about this, but considering the nature of the injury and Trout's bulky physique and high impact training and running style (he doesn't glide over the ground like Shohei but hammers his way across it) we could be looking at tiny stress fractures in his fibula here. There is a hell of a lot of force and stress on that relatively small bone when a guy like Trout runs in that titled style of his, and comparing workloads from last year to this his bones may not have caught up with his muscle growth.

Barring a miracle trade the season's a bust anyway, so I would seriously consider shutting the guy down completely before putting him on a long term plan to consistent fitness in 2022 and beyond. That may well need to include dropping a little bulk as it seems, age aside, the bigger Trout is the more injury prone he becomes. 

4 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

This is a total Debbie Downer and I really hope I'm wrong about this, but considering the nature of the injury and Trout's bulky physique and high impact training and running style (he doesn't glide over the ground like Shohei but hammers his way across it) we could be looking at tiny stress fractures in his fibula here. There is a hell of a lot of force and stress on that relatively small bone when a guy like Trout runs in that titled style of his, and comparing workloads from last year to this his bones may not have caught up with his muscle growth.

Barring a miracle trade the season's a bust anyway, so I would seriously consider shutting the guy down completely before putting him on a long term plan to consistent fitness in 2022 and beyond. That may well need to include dropping a little bulk as it seems, age aside, the bigger Trout is the more injury prone he becomes. 

His typical workout regimen is absolutely brutal. Pushing his body to insane limits in the gym for what exactly? 

This might be the first in a series of serious injuries if he doesn't dial back a bit. I can imagine more extended trips to the IL, a retirement announcement in a couple years, and a final career WAR around 85.

18 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Mike says he can kinda feel his calf, and Joe loves Cishek.

Man, what a depressing article.

Fansince79 asks you to hold his beer:

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

His typical workout regimen is absolutely brutal. Pushing his body to insane limits in the gym for what exactly? 

This might be the first in a series of serious injuries if he doesn't dial back a bit. I can imagine more extended trips to the IL, a retirement announcement in a couple years, and a final career WAR around 85.

Trout has actually been ready to go since the all-star break, but they held him back on purpose until after the trading deadline so that they could say getting him back is like a big splash acquisition.  Same for Rendon.

I heard this from a reliable source.  A guy who sets up the post-game wine bar for Maddon.  Okay, not THE guy, but his cousin.  Okay, not his cousin, but the guy who cuts his cousin's hair.

It's legit.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Meh. My gym routine is pretty stupid, too. And a couple guys I know Im sure surpass Mike.

Injuries are inevitable. And not working out isnt going to help you.

Had he torn something in the offseason, I could see it. But getting hurt doing a fast twitch movement.... meh, its gonna happen sooner or later.