• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So if the Angels sell...(NL East Version)

I've seen a ton of threads where everyone is talking their trade views until they're blue (me included) but not really any discussion on who the Angels could acquire if they're true sellers - which is still the likeliest outcome. I thought I would go through each division and break down some of the likeliest teams we deal with and some of the likeliest prospects we could target or hope to receive. 

Please try to add your own thoughts onto which prospects I might have missed or who in particular you think would be the best outcomes in true selling scenarios...no need to devolve into fantastical Adell for Berrios/Scherzer/Alcantara-type deals in this thread when we have that in others. 

Philadelphia Phillies: Seeking #4-#5 SP, bullpen help

• Rafael Marchan, 22, AAA, C
    Phillies' #4 prospect on MLB.com, solid defense, switch-hitter, strong contact, blocked by Realmuto, on the 40-man. 
  • Ethan Lindow, 22, A+, LHP:
    #22 prospect, sort of Philly's version of Packy Naughton, maybe even a Patrick Sandoval ceiling given his above-average changeup, mix of pitches, solid stuff, strong results, R5 eligible this winter. 
  • Kyle Dohy, 24, AA, LHP:
    #23 prospect, lots of BB issues, lots of swing and miss, plus velocity, from California, on the 40-man. 
  • Logan O'Hoppe, 21, A+, C:
    #24, strong pull-power, improving bat, strong behind plate, just a solid catching prospect again possibly blocked. 
  • Jordi Martinez, 21, A, LHP:
    #25, sort of the Philly version of Jose Salvador, further off arm with more upside than results to date.
  • Eduar Segovia, 20, A, RHP:
    #26, plus slider, firm fastball, still young and starting but likely a strong candidate to be a very good reliever. 
  • Gunner Mayer, 20, A, RHP:
    #28, like many 2021 Angels draftees, he's tall (6'6") and has a lot of relief risk in his game. Former 2-way Cali prep player.

The Angels really match up really well with the Phillies, whether they sell hard (Iglesias, Cobb, Heaney) or light (Cishek, Quintana, Watson) mainly because the Philes aren't necessarily looking for frontline rotation upgrades, the catching prospects they have to offer, and Dombrowski's reputation of fearlessly moving prospects. This is a great opportunity for the Angels to package a SP and RP to a team and add some depth behind the plate and either add to the 2022 bullpen depth with Dohy, Segovia, or Lindow, or add some further off pitching with more upside like Martinez.

Atlanta Braves: seeking OF, SP, RP

• Daysbel Hernandez, 22, AA, RHP:
    #15, pretty straight-forward relief prospect with plus fastball and slider and control issues, R5 eligible this winter. 
  • Thomas Burrows, 26, AAA, LHP:
    #20, big-bodied lefty yet to get a chance due to control issues, but strong strikeout stuff, a good depth add, R5 eligible.

This is an interesting team to watch with Perry's history here, but I don't feel they match up particularly well, at least if the Angels are a straight seller - more on that. If the Braves do indeed buy, they'll be looking for impact greater than what the Angels have to offer - names like Gallo, Haniger, Berrios, Gibson - with Raisel Iglesias being the exception. Alex Cobb also strikes me as someone Atlanta might have been targeting before Perry came over as well, as they've often acquired and valued vets similar to Cobb rather frequently. Someone like Touki Toussaint, who has plenty of upside but mixed results to date and is out of options this winter, could be an interesting arm to try and snag if they sell. 

Instead of a straight sell, if a deal were to happen here I can see the Braves and Angels matching up in more of a buy-and-sell, swapping of assets, major change-of-scenery trade. Think something framed around Adell/Marsh for Muller/Wilson/Wright/Toussaint, maybe expanding with something like Mayers+Iglesias for Will Smith. 

New York Mets: seeking 3B, LF, SP, RP, almost anything

• Alex Ramirez, 18, A, OF: (@Second Base)
    #9, potential 5-tool player, raw but already playing well in A ball. Some question about hit and long-term defense in CF, but signs of plus-power. 
  • Robert Dominguez, 19, Rk., RHP: (@Second Base)
    #13, tall teen with three solid offerings and the upside of a very good SP, but quite inexperienced - only 6.2 IP into a pro career.
  • Ryley Gilliam, 24, AA, RHP:
    #16, reliever profile with very strong fastball/curve mix, struggling in '19-'21 however. R5 eligible. 
  • Marcel Renteria, 26, AAA, RHP:
    #24, unable to crack an injury-ravaged Mets' staff so far, he's sort of just average reliever stock, but we're thin at AAA.

The Mets are expected to be really active and aggressive, but like with the Braves, the Angels might not have the impact talent to sell that NYM might be seeking. In addition, most of their prospect talent is either helping keep the MLB team afloat or several years from contributing, so it seems like the Mets might have to rely on names like Francisco Alvarez and Ronny Mauricio, who far exceed anything the Angels could offer to snag, and after that, the talent tends to drop off quickly.

That said, if the Angels were to extract some serious prospect return from someone like Raisel Iglesias, maybe even packaged with Cobb or Heaney, the Mets might be the team willing to make that bold, bordering stupid move that happens every once in so often.

Washington Nationals: seeking 3B, SP, OF

Like the Mets, this is another farm that thins out really quickly following a couple talents at the top that likely can't be pulled back by anything the Angels will sell, and almost all of the talent is A Ball or lower. In addition, there isn't really a clear upgrade the Angels have to offer that makes sense for the Nationals' needs - it's unlikely someone like Heaney, Cobb, Quintana, or Bundy would bump Jon Lester or Erick Fedde from the rotation. 

If there is opportunity here, it's for the Angels to sell off some of their expiring vets in extreme buy-low moves for the Nats, in which case the return likely won't be substantial and will be more of a salary dump for the Halos.

Miami Marlins: expected to be sellers

Which prospects might you want to see the Angels acquire from these teams if they become true sellers?

Edited by totdprods

12 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Great thread. Personally, I think that if the Angels decide to sell, better to package multiple guys to one team in order to maximize the return. If packaging Iglesias and Cobb together can land you a guy who is highly likely to be a big league regular, that beats several lottery tickets. 

It would be nice if it was a pitcher of some kind that could have an impact next year.

23 minutes ago, Revad said:

It would be nice if it was a pitcher of some kind that could have an impact next year.

It’s tough to get that for rentals. 

One thing that I’m curious to see - teams are usually more leery of dealing good pitching, and we just drafted twenty pitchers - it seems counterintuitive, but Minasian might get better return and more offers to weigh if he prioritizes position players. 

We’re really thin A+ to AA almost across the board, and AAA even in some spots.

2 hours ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

The deal the Mets made for Rich Hill would have been a great deal to ship Heaney or Bundy off on. 

Tommy Hunter, a vet reliever on the IL with a handful of innings this year and an A Ball utility player hitting .194?

9 hours ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

For Heaney or Bundy? Yes. 

For Bundy, sure. I'd hope we could do a little better for Heaney. Would rather get a prospect back instead of Hunter and his salary...part of the Rays' motivation was financial. 

I guess Hill isn't a bad comp for Heaney in this market though.