• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another Angelic cometragedy

Consider...

May 6: Angels release Albert Pujols, evidently because they find their regular first baseman in Jared Walsh.

May 15: Pujols signs with Dodgers.

May 17: Pujols makes his debut with Dodgers. Mike Trout is injured, out for over two months. 

May 18 - present: Jared Walsh hits .224/.266/.500 with a 103 wRC+ in 222 PA.

So far as a Dodger, Pujols is hitting .271/.305/.488 with a 113 wRC+ in 128 PA.

Over the last month or so (since June 25), Walsh has hit .205/.224/.386 with a 63 wRC+.

It is all just so...Angels.

I'm a bit concerned about Walsh. He's been really bad for the last month--that .224 OBP is unacceptable--and pretty mediocre for the last two. That's a long enough period to think its more than just a slump. His approach seems awful - he isn't taking any walks, and striking out a ton. 

Hopefully he can bounce back, but I'm starting to think that considering him an elite hitter back in May was a bit premature.

Just now, Taylor said:

Now do Jered Walsh's value vs. Albert Pujols' value over the next several years.

Well, through May 17, Walsh was at 1.5 WAR through 38 games, a 6+ WAR pace. Since then he's produced 0.4 WAR in 54 games, a 1.2 WAR pace. Hopefully he can at least split the difference and settle in as a 3-4 WAR player, but I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm a bit concerned about Walsh. He's been really bad for the last month--that .224 OBP is unacceptable--and pretty mediocre for the last two. That's a long enough period to think its more than just a slump. His approach seems awful - he isn't taking any walks, and striking out a ton. 

Hopefully he can bounce back, but I'm starting to think that considering him an elite hitter back in May was a bit premature.

At the time he was hitting very well so it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately Walsh has regressed quite a bit. He could easily turn it around though

So it was premature to judge Walsh after good production of several months, according to analysis based on not so good production of a few weeks. Got it. 

I for once am concerned about Walsh's decline. But I think there are reason for the decline;

1. Lack of Potection and guys missing. 

2. Playing against lefties and alot. 

3. hitting into shifts. 

once we start getting our Trio back, this takes alot of pressure off him. I think you could also sit him against lefties.

Regarding Pujols...He's playing the Nl...The NL West....where the Rockies and Dbacks play in...

Consider...

May 6: Angels release Albert Pujols, evidently because they find their regular first baseman in Jared Walsh.

May 15: Pujols signs with Dodgers.

May 17: Pujols makes his debut with Dodgers. Mike Trout is injured, out for over two months. 

May 18 - present: Jared Walsh hits .224/.266/.500 with a 103 wRC+ in 222 PA.

So far as a Dodger, Pujols is hitting .271/.305/.488 with a 113 wRC+ in 128 PA.

Over the last month or so (since June 25), Walsh has hit .205/.224/.386 with a 63 wRC+.

It is all just so...Angels.

Well we are after all Angels fans, or most of us are.

It might make sense to platoon him against lefties going forward until he can show that he can hit lefties.

.165 .192 .364 .556

against righties he is

.327 .393 .619 1.012

25 minutes ago, rageous said:

It might make sense to platoon him against lefties going forward until he can show that he can hit lefties.

.165 .192 .364 .556

against righties he is

.327 .393 .619 1.012

But he hit a grand slam against Chapman 

12 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Considering him an elite bat was definitely an overreaction. He's struggling now but I think a lot of that has to do with the league finally making some adjustments, a little bit of pressure to perform with other guys out, adapting to everyday grind that comes with MLB ball....I still think he's a good bet to be a .270/.330/.500+ type hitter. What he did September through June or so is hard to 'fluke', but also hard to replicate.

9 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Pujols 0-3 on the day that this thread was made, which is just funny. But what's funnier is Bellinger has a .156/.275.262 slash line in 141 ABs for the 2021 regular season. Bellinger (garbage) is sooo like Trout. #Pujolssucks

Bellinger has been slumping ever since his 2019 MVP season. He's been lost at the plate for a very long time. It's a mystery.

since 2019: .209/.313/.383

Browsing around on the trade value site, I saw an interesting trade someone had posted, with the Angels sending Walsh and Adams to Boston for quite a package...Michael Chavis, Jeter Downs, Jay Groome, Bryan Mata, and Josh Winckowski, and I kinda didn't hate it based simply on the fact that there were some murmurs Perry's Angels could be interested in SoCal's Freddie Freeman in free agency. 

I really, really don't see it (nor want it, I'm a big Walsh fan) but Walsh could be a big sell-high guy right now if Perry really is zeroed in on making a run for Freeman in the winter.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Considering him an elite bat was definitely an overreaction. He's struggling now but I think a lot of that has to do with the league finally making some adjustments, a little bit of pressure to perform with other guys out, adapting to everyday grind that comes with MLB ball....I still think he's a good bet to be a .270/.330/.500+ type hitter. What he did September through June or so is hard to 'fluke', but also hard to replicate.

Yes, agreed. I was mainly pointing out the very "Angelic" nature of this. What many seem to miss is that I wasn't suggesting that Pujols is better than Walsh, just that Walsh has struggled since Pujols left, especially over the last month. Of course I'd much rather have Walsh, and I agree that he'll produce around that level which, for the low money the Angels will be paying him through 2025, is great value.