• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels, first-rounder Sam Bachman agree at $3,847,500

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I feel like it wouldn’t be bad to have separate college and high school drafts.

I mean, they are pretty different.  One you are trying to entice a high schooler to choose to go pro now, and the other you are drafting all guys that are ready to go pro.

Maybe I just want more events to entertain me.

That would make it easier for bad teams, probably encourage tanking too since the worst team gets first pick at the best player in each category.

If you have separate HS and college drafts then you are essentially eliminating a lot of the risks involved with taking a HS player early because everyone would be choosing HS players in that draft.

43 minutes ago, Tank said:

Our history book in 7th grade cuts off one chapter before “Baseball contracts in the modern era,” and the kids are poorer because of it. I blame common core.

Well, time to trim some of the fat

Who cares about the cotton gin anyway? 

And lets face facts.... none of us here could even explain the war of 1812 to a kid, without teachers notes. Shit, some of us would screw up what year it started.

So get rid of those, and explain the arbitration process to them. 

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

That would make it easier for bad teams, probably encourage tanking too since the worst team gets first pick at the best player in each category.

If you have separate HS and college drafts then you are essentially eliminating a lot of the risks involved with taking a HS player early because everyone would be choosing HS players in that draft.

I think it would be a nightmare to set up, though. There are bascially 3 options:

1. Keep the money the same as now and have equal high school and college draft pools (moneywise) - High school kids are not getting as much money and might go to college instead of signing.

2. You have a smaller college player draft pool and a larger high school one - People will complain that MLB is screwing over kids who "did the right thing" and went to college.

3. MLB increases the draft allowance and keeps the pools even - I still think the high school players will be more apt to go to college, because they still have more leverage and will feel like they are getting screwed. Plus, MLB isn't going to approve spending more money than they have to.

If you want to keep the draft (and a cap on draft signing salary) and have the teams draft for talent instead of signability, I think the obvious answer is hard slotting for each pick. This means the first pick gets $7 million (or whatever) and the 2nd pick gets $6.8. The NFL and NBA have hard slotting and teams there draft for talent. In the NFL signability was a little bit of a thing before. Middling QB prospects used to go later in the draft because they were harder to sign. 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And lets face facts.... none of us here could even explain the war of 1812 to a kid, without teachers notes. Shit, some of us would screw up what year it started.

Careful.  Who knows if someone was a history major back in the day.

39 minutes ago, Stradling said:

image.png

Maybe he’s already signed. 

I know it's a very "superficial" thing to think but I genuinely take this as a sign that he intends on signing. Especially taking into consideration he had conversations with other teams in Day 2 of the draft but they didn't draft him because they couldn't come to a financial agreement. His coach mentioned he respects Mason staying firm on what he wants financially so you would imagine the Angels called him up and reached a verbal financial agreement he was looking for which is why they drafted him.

“I don’t think teams draft a kid, only having 20 rounds this year, without knowing the kid is possibly going to sign,” said T.J. Hose, Albright’s pitching coach. “Kudos to [Mason] for staying firm [on what he wanted financially] and betting on himself.”

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whether its him or anyone else, thats got to be a cool feeling. First summer out of high school, and you get to identify yourself as a professional athlete.

I identify myself as a professional athlete.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Sorry, buddy, but the development of the cotton gin contributed to the growth of king cotton, which led to the south digging in its heels more and more about keeping slavery.

as for the war of 1812, meh. No one cares.

11 hours ago, Tank said:

so when we sign a player, that puts them under contract for how long exactly?

The general answer is minimum 5+ full seasons, but with wacky roster moves, promotions/demotions, and service time manipulation, it can be significantly longer than that.  For example, a player gets drafted and signed at 18, spends 4 years in the minors, makes the majors at 22, but gets promoted before he hits "super-two" status, and then doesn't get sent down at all during this time, can potentially spend the first 10 professional years with the same team.  The at best situation of 5 seasons, is if you stay as a minor leaguer for 5 full seasons, but at that point you might not be talented enough to make the big leagues. 

11 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

That’s the signing bonus.  

They have first off the time until becoming Rule 5 eligible (after 3 years?).

Then once they make it to the bigs, the player takes what the club offers, although sometimes a contract is agreed upon before the 3 years to arbitration is up.

Then during arbitration years, that’s where either the two sides agree on an amount or it goes to binding arbitration.

Rule 5 draft eligibility depends on what age the player signs.  At 18 it's 5 professional seasons, at 19 plus it's 4 years.  The first 3+ seasons, depending on when they get promoted their first season, the player's salary is basically what the team gives them unless they have "super-two" status which in this case they can get arbitration before they hit 3 full seasons of service time.  This doesn't prevent the team from offering a minor league player a guaranteed contract that covers any of their seasons before they even play a single MLB game or even after a few MLB games.  An example of this would be Jon Singleton who signed a guaranteed 5 year / 10 million guaranteed contract with incentives that could've taken it to 35 million, before he ever played a single MLB game with Houston.

MLB rules are screwy, I don't blame the players to try and shorten the FA time in the next CBA.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

Sorry, buddy, but the development of the cotton gin contributed to the growth of king cotton, which led to the south digging in its heels more and more about keeping slavery.

Hey, the only battle we won was after the war was over and was with the help of pirates, and yet we won the war.

I think that's pretty cool.

6 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

Hey, the only battle we won was after the war was over and was with the help of pirates, and yet we won the war.

I think that's pretty cool.

Battles won by the USA in war of 1812

1.  Battle of Plattsburgh 

2.  Battle of Lake Erie

3. Battle of Baltimore

4. Battle of New Orleans.

The USA forces did well in the what is today the Midwest Ohio and Indiana region.  They did exceptionally well at sea.  

British throughout most of the war had most of their forces fighting against Napoleon in other theaters.  In fact Britsin views the war as another front in the Napoleonic Wars.  

Once Napoleon was defeated British veterans were sent to the USA and sacked Washington DC.  They were defeated at Battle of Baltimore. 

Battle of New Orleans was after the war and there was major assistance from pirates.

Edited by stormngt

18 hours ago, Tank said:

Probably the most interesting thing is the panicked evacuations of the books, documents, paintings and other things from DC before the British burned everything - my g/f has drug me to various sites and archives, trying to piece together what went where (turns out, a bunch of them were dumped, Indiana Jones style, in a forgotten basement / corner of the Capitol Building, only to be discovered over 100 years later .. )

Ok, it's not actually that interesting ... 😉

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Probably the most interesting thing is the panicked evacuations of the books, documents, paintings and other things from DC before the British burned everything - my g/f has drug me to various sites and archives, trying to piece together what went where (turns out, a bunch of them were dumped, Indiana Jones style, in a forgotten basement / corner of the Capitol Building, only to be discovered over 100 years later .. )

Ok, it's not actually that interesting ... 😉

That’s actually interesting to me.

32 minutes ago, Tank said:

That’s actually interesting to me.

It actually *is* interesting - one thing I love about living here is history is *everywhere* - often literally under your feet - the old ruins of mills and machine shops are particularly interesting to me.  

That episode(s) is a chapter in a book proposal she has,  hoping for an endowment to complete it ...