• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK Perry, time to sell

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't see the need to answer either of the questions, as that's not something I really addressed.  Look, you're fine with them making trades for rentals to stay in the race, and I think it's a silly idea.  I don't think either one of us is going to change the other's mind--and, again, that's totally fine.  We don't have to agree on every strategy--though I will say that I agree with your number one objective if it's achievable!

All good.  Just don’t confuse me being “OK” trading “marginal assets” for pieces that would keep the Angels in the race with being OK making dumb trades.

The bottom line is the GM has to be good at making trades, otherwise every trade will be a bad move.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:39 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Reference the first part. Im not at all suggesting trout as an elite player is done. Im saying that we should stop trying to build around him, and instead build around Ohtani (not because Ohtani is better, I mean it more as Ohtani representing the next core).

Like I said, if Trout won a ring this year, or 5 from now, its the same thing. But the 3-5 from now is a lot more realistic than right now.

As for the second part, I agree fully.

If the Angels had 2 more reliable pen arms this year, this team would be 10 games over .500 right now (rouvhly). Even with the injuries 

Agreed.  That is why we really are not far off from being that team.  Our problem is we have tried and failed to provide a pitching staff.

We do not need an Ace making 30 million a year.  We need a lockdown bullpen 

Edited by stormngt

27 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Agreed.  That is why we really are not far off from being that team.  Our problem iswe have tried and failed to provide a pitching staff.

We do not need an Ace making 30 million a year.  We need a lockdown bullpen 

no. we need SP and a bullpen.

almost nobody is signed for next year.

42 minutes ago, TheLordofOuts said:

Marsh with his elite beard is untouchable.  He is guaranteed to be a superstar. 

I hope Marsh stays, but this is the time of year where teams call up guys like Marsh to showcase their ability to acquiring teams. 😄

31 minutes ago, ettin said:

I hope Marsh stays, but this is the time of year where teams call up guys like Marsh to showcase their ability to acquiring teams. 😄

If they're dumb enough to trade Marsh for anyone not considered an elite level SP; they deserve all the bad karma as he will grow and tear the league up. He's everything they need from a corner OF to eventual CF who can hit at the top of the lineup. Great eye, great swing. Great beard. Great hair. 

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria. C Rodriguez, Detmer.

It's time to stop paying 8 to 10 million dollars for aging vets and hand it off to the young guys.

Barria - unproven, C.Rod - unproven and injury prone, Detmer - hasn't even been called up yet, unproven, Suarez - unproven but looking good this year, Sandoval - same as Suarez, Canning - Looks like pure dog shit.

You're crazy if you think the best option is to stop paying aging vets to hand it off to the young guys. We've got to stop paying the aging vets and go get a solid #2 option for the rotation and roll with:

Ohtani

FA/Trade

Sandoval

Suarez

Any of the group of young pitchers who haven't proven themselves. 

21 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

Marsh straight up for Jose Berrios? 

No. Berrios is adament about testing the free agent market. I thought it would be a great move to package Marsh OR Adell for Berrios until someone, forgot which poster, posted that he is really keen on testing free agency and being able to hold the power in where he plays. No thank you to that. He doesn't even sound willing to discuss an extension. 

How much better shape would we have been in had we spent the 9 million on Tehran and 8 million for Quintana on a bull pen scouting and gave Barria the starting pitching job?

We now have four young pitchers who have had proven success against major league hitters (Canning, Sandoval, Suarez and Barria).  All inexpensive.  Wmwuit wasting money and fix out biggest weakness...the bull pen.

1 hour ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

If they're dumb enough to trade Marsh for anyone not considered an elite level SP; they deserve all the bad karma as he will grow and tear the league up. He's everything they need from a corner OF to eventual CF who can hit at the top of the lineup. Great eye, great swing. Great beard. Great hair. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Marsh stays, Trout, Marsh and Adell in OF.

Fletcher or someone else, perhaps, mentioned that the Indians had interest in Marsh about a year or so ago. If Bieber was in play, would you move Marsh? I love the guy I think he is great and I'd love to see him play for the Angels, but if Bieber were in play, I think the Angels would seriously consider it.

Again, to repeat, I'd greatly prefer to see Brandon stay and play in Anaheim, I like his vibe and energy.

2 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Barria - unproven, C.Rod - unproven and injury prone, Detmer - hasn't even been called up yet, unproven, Suarez - unproven but looking good this year, Sandoval - same as Suarez, Canning - Looks like pure dog shit.

You're crazy if you think the best option is to stop paying aging vets to hand it off to the young guys. We've got to stop paying the aging vets and go get a solid #2 option for the rotation and roll with:

Ohtani

FA/Trade

Sandoval

Suarez

Barria unproven? As a starter with 216 innings pitched.   ERA 4.04!  ERA plus better than Heaney and Canning.  What more dies he need to prove?

He had one bad season when he was used as a reliever and we had the worst pitching coach in professional baseball (White)

10 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Ohtani

FA/Trade

Sandoval

Suarez

I guess you didnt notice Detmer was #7 on the list of pitchers I gave.  He would be depth.

Your losing Barria in your scenario.  So may as well trade him.  However, I am still betting he has overall better mlb numbers than Heaney when it's all said and done 

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

Fletcher or someone else, perhaps, mentioned that the Indians had interest in Marsh about a year or so ago. If Bieber was in play, would you move Marsh? I love the guy I think he is great and I'd love to see him play for the Angels, but if Bieber were in play, I think the Angels would seriously consider it.

Again, to repeat, I'd greatly prefer to see Brandon stay and play in Anaheim, I like his vibe and energy.

If Marsh could get us Bieber; I move him in a heart beat. A top 2 of Bieber and Ohtani...nut!

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I guess you didnt notice Detmer was #7 on the list of pitchers I gave.  He would be depth.

Your losing Barria in your scenario.  So may as well trade him.  However, I am still betting he has overall better mlb numbers than Heaney when it's all said and done 

Losing him in my list or not; the point is with Trout - Ohtani - Rendon (if he can get healthy and right) that is a lot of unproven players to throw into the rotation and be hopeful for playoff birth. I think the majority of the players you listed can and will be successful on the MLB level but I just personally think the best option would be to get another top arm and let the young guys battle it out to fill #4/#5 and depth spots. 

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Barria unproven? As a starter with 216 innings pitched.   ERA 4.04!  ERA plus better than Heaney and Canning.  What more dies he need to prove?

He had one bad season when he was used as a reliever and we had the worst pitching coach in professional baseball (White)

This org is confusing.  It seems like they avoid guys who don’t throw mid 90s, and thus bypass Barria.

Yet, they bring in a bunch of soft tossers for most of the pen.

37 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria. C Rodriguez, Detmer.

It's time to stop paying 8 to 10 million dollars for aging vets and hand it off to the young guys.

well, i certainly understand that sentiment and agree with it in principal, but the angels need to get serious about winning and they need the real deal at the top of the rotation to go along with that list.

marquez, ohtani, sandoval, suarez, canning, barria, rodriguez, detmer looks a who lot better to me when talking about a playoff team. plenty of opportunity for young guys to make a good rotation great. that's what real contenders look like.

also, get serious about the friggin bullpen. give me a break already. i'm bored of the same story every year.

42 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Losing him in my list or not; the point is with Trout - Ohtani - Rendon (if he can get healthy and right) that is a lot of unproven players to throw into the rotation and be hopeful for playoff birth. I think the majority of the players you listed can and will be successful on the MLB level but I just personally think the best option would be to get another top arm and let the young guys battle it out to fill #4/#5 and depth spots. 

So let's keep signing  vets for 8 million a year and produce 5+ ERAs.  Sounds like a plan.