• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why I Still Watch?!?!?

Chuck

I'm watching just as much baseball as I'm used to watching, just not watching as much Angels baseball

this season.  Not living in So Cal anymore, plus having Direct TV and knowing how to use

internet file sharing helps. There are some fun teams to watch.

Oak, TB, Pit, Ariz are all playing inspired, solid baseball.

Cleveland is playing better than expected. People that say managers don't matter need to watch them.

Don't need to be a fan of teams to enjoy good baseball and comeback ability.

I still tune into Angel games, after 50 years of them I always will, but I do so expecting them to screw the pooch, and they seldom disappoint.

There is too much good baseball out there to watch, to be stuck on this team right now.

Why I Still Watch the Games
rss-import.png  Posted by AngelsWinAdmin, in AngelsWin Blog 13 June 2013 · 18 views
whyIWatch.jpg 

By David Saltzer, AngelsWin.com Senior Writer - 

Chuck Richter started a thread on www.AngelsWin.com about why he’s still watching Angels games this year. In his opinion, it’s about watching individual players: Bourjos stealing a homerun; watching Trout develop; Trumbo launching a bomb; Weaver possibly throwing another no-hitter; Kendrick competing for a batting title, etc.

I agree with Chuck on all of those reasons and a few more. Chuck’s reasoning can be split into two aspects: baseball as history and baseball as reality. But baseball is more than that: It is an investment in one’s self and

Baseball is history. As a fan, I want to know everything about the Angels. I want to recall every homerun and stellar play so that years from now, when my sons ask me a question about a an event, I will know the answer. Baseball as history allows me to compare current and future players to those in the past to see how they may develop. It’s what allows baseball to connect the generations. Without knowing the history from every game and every season, comparisons start to fray until that point when they are no longer valid.

Quick question: What is the longest running reality TV show? I would argue that baseball, as a continually broadcast sporting event is the longest running show ever on TV. As a fan, I know (or can look up) all the scores from every game up until today. However, until I see the final out of today’s game, I won’t know the outcome of today’s game. And I have no idea what will happen in tomorrow’s game. Anything can happen. Baseball is the sport that gave us the quote “It ain’t over until the fat lady sings”. I was at the game against Detroit in 1986 when the Angels turned a 12-5 loss in at the end of the 8th inning into a 13-12 win at the end of the 9th.

Again, Chuck’s point that he still watches the game to follow individual performances is an important part of baseball as reality. Watching Bourjos rob a player of a homerun is definitely worth the price of admission. Following Trout develop is something that every Angels fan should do. Following Trumbo in his pursuit to hit 40+ HRs in a season should be a source of pride for all Angels fans. Being there when Weaver throws his next no-hitter is something that should excite all Angels fans. Seeing if Kendrick can finally win a batting title is something to follow for an entire season. The only thing is, in order for me to be a participate in the baseball as reality, I have to be there, watching the games.

The last reason why I still watch the games is to make an investment in myself. Some fans act as if by watching a game or buying season tickets, they are investing in the team. I understand this sentiment, but I don’t subscribe to it. While part of why I am an Angels fan is to be a part of something larger than myself, I choose to see my time and financial investment as an investment in myself, not in the team. That way, I don’t have to sweat every single loss and instead can focus on every single joy.

For me, there is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than being at a baseball game. I’m outside, it’s relaxing, I’m with a friend or relative, and I’m entertained. It doesn’t get much better than that. My season tickets represent a sizable chunk of my discretionary money. I choose to spend it on myself to force myself to relax. Going to a baseball game forces me to slow down at regular intervals. It’s my escape from all the annoyances of the world and a chance to focus on something that makes me happy. If I didn’t have the tickets, I might not take those breaks, and my life would suffer.

Baseball is unique from all the other major sports in one crucial way: it has no time clock. It’s the only major sport where one team can’t win by controlling time. As a fan, I prefer that. It ensures that the game is on its own time—which is totally different than every other part of the day for most people.

There is one reason that I specifically did not list as why I watch the games. I specifically excluded whether or not the Angels made the post season as a reason why I watch the games. While I always want the Angels to win it all, I know that it won’t always happen. Moreover, it takes away from the enjoyment of the game, and makes watching the game a chore or work, much like having to write a book report turns the pleasant experience of reading into a chore. That goes against all the pleasure that I get from the other three reasons why I watch the game, so I exclude it as a valid reason.

This season has not gone according to anyone’s plans. No one could have predicted how off the team’s performance has been. As a fan, it’s very easy to be frustrated and angry with the team right now. But, it’s not a reason to entirely tune it out. Instead of focusing on the standings during every game, focus on other specific things, like those reasons that Chuck Richter listed.  You will find the game more enjoyable, and you will get more out of the games. Hanging with the team when things are tough make it that much better to be a fan when the team wins it all. And, if you do, you will earn the right to share in the joy when they do win it all.

It would be exciting to think of Jerry Dipoto pulling off a trade for the Angels like he did when the Diamondbacks acquired Skaggs and Corbin for Dan Haren.  Unfortunately, Dipoto no longer has the Angels to trade with.

True, there's only 29 other teams now.

:huh:

Why I Still Watch the Games
rss-import.png  Posted by AngelsWinAdmin, in AngelsWin Blog 13 June 2013 · 18 views
whyIWatch.jpg 

By David Saltzer, AngelsWin.com Senior Writer - 

Chuck Richter started a thread on www.AngelsWin.com about why he’s still watching Angels games this year. In his opinion, it’s about watching individual players: Bourjos stealing a homerun; watching Trout develop; Trumbo launching a bomb; Weaver possibly throwing another no-hitter; Kendrick competing for a batting title, etc.

I agree with Chuck on all of those reasons and a few more. Chuck’s reasoning can be split into two aspects: baseball as history and baseball as reality. But baseball is more than that: It is an investment in one’s self and

Baseball is history. As a fan, I want to know everything about the Angels. I want to recall every homerun and stellar play so that years from now, when my sons ask me a question about a an event, I will know the answer. Baseball as history allows me to compare current and future players to those in the past to see how they may develop. It’s what allows baseball to connect the generations. Without knowing the history from every game and every season, comparisons start to fray until that point when they are no longer valid.

Quick question: What is the longest running reality TV show? I would argue that baseball, as a continually broadcast sporting event is the longest running show ever on TV. As a fan, I know (or can look up) all the scores from every game up until today. However, until I see the final out of today’s game, I won’t know the outcome of today’s game. And I have no idea what will happen in tomorrow’s game. Anything can happen. Baseball is the sport that gave us the quote “It ain’t over until the fat lady sings”. I was at the game against Detroit in 1986 when the Angels turned a 12-5 loss in at the end of the 8th inning into a 13-12 win at the end of the 9th.

Again, Chuck’s point that he still watches the game to follow individual performances is an important part of baseball as reality. Watching Bourjos rob a player of a homerun is definitely worth the price of admission. Following Trout develop is something that every Angels fan should do. Following Trumbo in his pursuit to hit 40+ HRs in a season should be a source of pride for all Angels fans. Being there when Weaver throws his next no-hitter is something that should excite all Angels fans. Seeing if Kendrick can finally win a batting title is something to follow for an entire season. The only thing is, in order for me to be a participate in the baseball as reality, I have to be there, watching the games.

The last reason why I still watch the games is to make an investment in myself. Some fans act as if by watching a game or buying season tickets, they are investing in the team. I understand this sentiment, but I don’t subscribe to it. While part of why I am an Angels fan is to be a part of something larger than myself, I choose to see my time and financial investment as an investment in myself, not in the team. That way, I don’t have to sweat every single loss and instead can focus on every single joy.

For me, there is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than being at a baseball game. I’m outside, it’s relaxing, I’m with a friend or relative, and I’m entertained. It doesn’t get much better than that. My season tickets represent a sizable chunk of my discretionary money. I choose to spend it on myself to force myself to relax. Going to a baseball game forces me to slow down at regular intervals. It’s my escape from all the annoyances of the world and a chance to focus on something that makes me happy. If I didn’t have the tickets, I might not take those breaks, and my life would suffer.

Baseball is unique from all the other major sports in one crucial way: it has no time clock. It’s the only major sport where one team can’t win by controlling time. As a fan, I prefer that. It ensures that the game is on its own time—which is totally different than every other part of the day for most people.

There is one reason that I specifically did not list as why I watch the games. I specifically excluded whether or not the Angels made the post season as a reason why I watch the games. While I always want the Angels to win it all, I know that it won’t always happen. Moreover, it takes away from the enjoyment of the game, and makes watching the game a chore or work, much like having to write a book report turns the pleasant experience of reading into a chore. That goes against all the pleasure that I get from the other three reasons why I watch the game, so I exclude it as a valid reason.

This season has not gone according to anyone’s plans. No one could have predicted how off the team’s performance has been. As a fan, it’s very easy to be frustrated and angry with the team right now. But, it’s not a reason to entirely tune it out. Instead of focusing on the standings during every game, focus on other specific things, like those reasons that Chuck Richter listed.  You will find the game more enjoyable, and you will get more out of the games. Hanging with the team when things are tough make it that much better to be a fan when the team wins it all. And, if you do, you will earn the right to share in the joy when they do win it all.

Good job on this Dave! 

All of my years as an Atlanta Braves fan during some truly horrible seasons have prepared me for much worse than this. Sure, I'm disappointed at the way the season has gone, and the fact that we are reduced to watching to see what individual players do. That said, I have been part of much worse, and I will slog through to the end. A day spent watching baseball is still better than a day spent doing almost anything else.

All of my years as an Atlanta Braves fan during some truly horrible seasons have prepared me for much worse than this. Sure, I'm disappointed at the way the season has gone, and the fact that we are reduced to watching to see what individual players do. That said, I have been part of much worse, and I will slog through to the end. A day spent watching baseball is still better than a day spent doing almost anything else.

Good word Vegas! 

Damn, ain't that the truth.

Nice post, Chuck. I go through this same thing nearly every year, with some fortunate playoff trips some years back that changed my mindset a little. But ultimately I stick around for every game, every season because I love watching or listening to my Angels play. Even as a kid I was the "odd kid" in the family who would hang out in his bedroom listening to Al Conin call the Angels games on KMPC via my old clock radio. Every once in awhile a game would be shown on KTLA and reservations would be made with the television set. All this to watch or hear those moments like Wally Joyner hitting 3 home runs, Ervin Santana throwing a no hitter, or Peter Bourjos making a great catch. Playoffs are great, championships better, but witnessing the day-to-day grind and the spectacular moments are the things that keep me hooked for 162 days or more every year.

I'll watch regardless.  Frequency might depend on the Angels record a bit, but I became a fan when the playoffs were out of reach.  

Consider this, though.  We all know the Angels are playing below expectations.  Hamilton and Pujols have been big disappointments.  Even considering their production... and everyone else's... the Angels should have a much better record.  

People have joked on here for a while about Pythagorean records.  The Angels should have a better record according to that... but if you go beyond.... look at the team AVG, OBP, SLG, etc... they should be even better... even over .500.  http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

This year has been a mess.  Iffy decisions, bad individual performances, considerable injuries, and... some bad luck. There are few moves to make, considering the state of the farm system, contracts, and young talent that you just shouldn't deal.  Everyone wants drastic moves to be made, but I still think you've gotta ride it out for now.  Maybe in a month you look to make a move at the deadline, but that won't be easy.  

I'll watch regardless.  Frequency might depend on the Angels record a bit, but I became a fan when the playoffs were out of reach.  

Consider this, though.  We all know the Angels are playing below expectations.  Hamilton and Pujols have been big disappointments.  Even considering their production... and everyone else's... the Angels should have a much better record.  

People have joked on here for a while about Pythagorean records.  The Angels should have a better record according to that... but if you go beyond.... look at the team AVG, OBP, SLG, etc... they should be even better... even over .500.  http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

This year has been a mess.  Iffy decisions, bad individual performances, considerable injuries, and... some bad luck. There are few moves to make, considering the state of the farm system, contracts, and young talent that you just shouldn't deal.  Everyone wants drastic moves to be made, but I still think you've gotta ride it out for now.  Maybe in a month you look to make a move at the deadline, but that won't be easy.  

Good word, Scott. 

To be honest I don't watch anymore.

I still love baseball and infrequently catch good teams on my MLB cable package as background TV whilst catching up on work emails at night/weekends.

There are so many more interesting entertainment options in the South Bay and in Southern California other than watching the 2013 Angels.

Sorry to hear that, YoT... But, I understand it.

I continue to "check-in" on the Angels at the very least.  For example, yesterday they were going for a sweep of the Yankees so I was flipping between the game, the US Open, and the CWS (college world series).

We had the late Sunday baseball game at 3pm, so I always have a radio to listen to the game in our dugout.  They disappointed in their comeback bid with Albert striking-out looking to end it, and our team did the same... but it is about the enjoyment of playing and hoping for me.  Of course, our team only dropped to 2-1 on the season... 8)

The Angels also don't have a Dan Haren to trade

Nibs would be, if he didn't go Blanton on everyone one inning per start.    Nibs still hits 92-93, and has a good slider and change.   Now if he finally overcoms the nibbling habit, he would be a better catch than Haren for someone, because he still has good velocity (unlike Haren by July 2010), and far fewer career innings pitched currently than Haren had by July 2010.

Maybe the Halos would have to throw in about $20 million with the deal, which isn't that much, in order to get really solid prospects for Nibs.

I think we are all getting a little too jaded about just writing off contracts, or portions of contracts.  No organization can withstand that for long, excepting maybe the Yankees or possibly Dodgers.  That kind of policy is generally suicide.

I'm a glutton for punishment and watch because I love baseball.  I never get tired of watching Mike Trout, hate to miss a Jered Weaver start, enjoy the effort Mark Trumbo gives every game and I'm enjoying Peter Bourjos' break out season. 

This week, I'm also looking forward to seeing Joe Saunders return to Anaheim (although I hope the Angels beat him) and I'm looking forward to seeing local guy - Gerritt Cole come home on Friday to pitch for the Pirates. 

Do you really did to have a reason why we still watch Angel baseball? I'm thinking not ... but nice try trying to convince us to watch.

Blanton is headed for baseball history, and you're not going o watch,  .....that's sick man!