• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select LHP Ky Bush, St. Mary's, 45th overall in the 2nd round

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/ky-bush-681066

"After being selected in the 40th round of the 2018 Draft out of Fremont High School in Utah, Bush initially headed to Washington State for college. After a rough freshman year, he transferred to Central Arizona Junior College, righting the ship and earning an invite to join the Saint Mary’s Gaels staff in 2021, where he’s been in the weekend rotation all spring.

Bush is a huge left-hander (6-foot-6, 240 pounds) with a solid power repertoire. He’s been 90-96 mph with his fastball, sitting mostly around 94 mph, with a better feel for commanding it than he had shown early in his college career. It’s heavy and there’s deception, making it tough to pick up. His slider is his best secondary offering, a breaking ball that flashes plus and has more top-to-bottom break than a typical slider. Though that has some curveball action to it, he does have a distinct, slower curve that isn’t as good of a weapon. Bush’s changeup is a work in progress, but he hasn’t needed it in competition.

The southpaw had struggled with command at both Washington State and Central Arizona, but he’s been throwing more strikes at Saint Mary’s. There are some who still see a reliever profile, but other scouts feel the delivery can continue to be refined to give him starter upside. The team that takes him early will likely be one that will at least give him the chance to stick in a rotation, with the knowledge he could approach triple digits in shorter stints out of the 'pen."

• jsnpritchett changed the title to Angels select Ky Bush (P) in 2nd round
46 minutes ago, Fourts said:

One option:

Ky Bush, LHP, St. Mary’s College, 6-6, 240, age 21

Baseball America rank: No. 47

BA scouting grade (20-80): 50 | BA risk evaluation: High

Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 45 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55

Scout’s take: Went 7-5 with a 2.99 ERA and 112 strikeouts to just 19 walks in 78.1 innings in his only season at St. Mary’s. A giant left-hander with a really good arm, which don’t fall off trees every day. Fastball has touched 96 mph.

...and nice call by @Fourts!

13 minutes ago, mmc said:

I like this pick and I assume no one knows or cares enough for there to be outrage over this pick however considering negativity is a requirement on this board I’ll instead throw a tantrum that you created the thread 10 seconds before I did

Ha.  For what it's worth, I'll leave the posting of the rest of the picks to you.  Not sure that I'll be as on top of things for the rest of the day as I was for this one.

Edited by jsnpritchett

Getting Ky Bush was exactly what I had in mind when I said collegiate starting pitcher in the second round. 

This is a great pick, and I think we are all learning that when they refer to someone having reliever risk or reliever potential, what they really mean is he throws hard and he has a really good breaking ball. That means he's a good pitcher, and it has nothing to do with his role. You want your starters to have that good of a fastball and that good of a breaking ball. That's called high upside, and it's not as common among collegiate starters. The Angels have got two of those in the last two days. Couldn't be more happy about that.

Would you rather they select a collegiate starter with three pitches that sits in the high 80's that everyone agrees is a starter (just with no upside) or someone that throws mid-90's and just needs to iron out their change piece? 

You're better off taking a risk with higher upside and that's what Bush is. 

1 minute ago, Fourts said:

Looks a little Skaggs like being so tall throwing that curve.  

Wonder if this means we're not getting Sam under slot.  Still possible i guess -- for use in 3+.  But looking less likely now.

That never really was a thing. Ninth overall is pretty expected here. 

2 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Looks a little Skaggs like being so tall throwing that curve.  

Wonder if this means we're not getting Sam under slot.  Still possible i guess -- for use in 3+.  But looking less likely now.

Even signing Bachman at slot, which is what I'm expecting, saves money in the sense that someone like Rocker very likely will still get paid as if he went Top 5.