Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

Angels select RHP Sam Bachman, Miami (OH), 9th overall


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

So why would u send down CRod to minors to work as starter? Bring him and Detmers up and put them in pen? August 1st Danish will be in pen.

In the playoffs--and conceivably during a stretch run--all bets are off in terms of pitching placement. The ones that stick out to me from the last few years are Eovaldi, Price, Urias...good starters are used in relief roles to maximize the effectiveness of the staff. If C-Rod can be stretched out as a starter, it accomplishes two things: 

1) You know whether or not he is capable of throwing 70-100 pitches in a night effectively. 
2) He can give you multiple innings (1 time through the order) down the stretch. 

Stretching him out is mostly a long-term thing. Can he handle being a starter? But down the stretch, you will need him and Detmers to pitch 2-3 innings at times. Bachman can fill a similar role this year, possibly, before he really works on his CH. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I am seeing a lot of Luis Castillo (a favorite trade target among here on this board) comps to Sam Bachman. Low 3-quarters arm slot coming from around the same height, Bachman being 6'1 and Castillo is 6'2. Both throw a high velocity fastball with ridiculous movement, a "gyro-slider", and if Bachman's changeup develops as a lot of people think it will, it could end up being just as good as the slider.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2020/11/30/21724044/2021-draft-scouting-report-sam-bachman

Screen_Shot_2020_11_28_at_12.28.17_PM.pn

So here’s the hot take. I think the changeup is going to end up being Bachman’s crown jewel. You could make a pretty rock solid argument Castillo has the best changeup in all of baseball. Listen, Castillo’s changeup is better. There’s no doubting that. He gets 2 more inches of fade and kills 2.5 more inches of lift than Bachman does. But Bachman just switched to this changeup grip. He’s still putting it all together. As you can see above, just a touch more wrist supination, getting that spin direction a little closer to 3:00, and Bachman may have an absolute dagger of a pitch here. The closer you get to 3:00, the more lift you’ll kill, thus resulting in more drop. Castillo has a double-plus, 70-grade changeup. I think that potential exists here as he’s shown his arm is capable of putting itself in a position to exact extreme orientations on a baseball.

Sam_Bachman_Changeup.gif

Sam_Bachman_Changeup_2.gif

I hate to admit it, but LL does some amazing stuff sometimes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

I am seeing a lot of Luis Castillo (a favorite trade target among here on this board) comps to Sam Bachman. Low 3-quarters arm slot coming from around the same height, Bachman being 6'1 and Castillo is 6'2. Both throw a high velocity fastball with ridiculous movement, a "gyro-slider", and if Bachman's changeup develops as a lot of people think it will, it could end up being just as good as the slider.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2020/11/30/21724044/2021-draft-scouting-report-sam-bachman

Screen_Shot_2020_11_28_at_12.28.17_PM.pn

So here’s the hot take. I think the changeup is going to end up being Bachman’s crown jewel. You could make a pretty rock solid argument Castillo has the best changeup in all of baseball. Listen, Castillo’s changeup is better. There’s no doubting that. He gets 2 more inches of fade and kills 2.5 more inches of lift than Bachman does. But Bachman just switched to this changeup grip. He’s still putting it all together. As you can see above, just a touch more wrist supination, getting that spin direction a little closer to 3:00, and Bachman may have an absolute dagger of a pitch here. The closer you get to 3:00, the more lift you’ll kill, thus resulting in more drop. Castillo has a double-plus, 70-grade changeup. I think that potential exists here as he’s shown his arm is capable of putting itself in a position to exact extreme orientations on a baseball.

Sam_Bachman_Changeup.gif

Sam_Bachman_Changeup_2.gif

This is cool.  Thanks for posting.  Playing things conservative, let's say the change ends up plus and a solid third pitch.  That should be plenty good enough for him to remain a starter.   I'm just gonna be keeping my fingers crossed in regard to his health as we all will I'm sure.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Paging Doc and IP!

my main thought is exactly what @Inside Pitch intimated in either the prospect or pre draft thread in that the halos, with their rather skeleton scouting crew, were going to rely very heavily on a technology driven approach.  And from that standpoint, this guy definitely fits the bill.  

the first day of this draft was pretty all over the place.  Still think it's gonna turn out to be a deep draft.   And rounds 5-10 are going to produce so good major league players.  More than usual.  

At the end of the day, who you draft and/or sign is only one piece of the puzzle.  You have to have the right development process in place in order to get what you think you can from those players.  We've heard the term 'cardinal way' thrown around before but that's sorta what it means.  You draft or sign certain types of players (for the most part) because you have a process in place that's more geared for said player to succeed than maybe some others.  

It's not about what you see right now that matters as much as what they can turn someone in to.  The word 'projectable' is beginning to or already has taken on a whole new meaning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

In the playoffs--and conceivably during a stretch run--all bets are off in terms of pitching placement. The ones that stick out to me from the last few years are Eovaldi, Price, Urias...good starters are used in relief roles to maximize the effectiveness of the staff. If C-Rod can be stretched out as a starter, it accomplishes two things: 

1) You know whether or not he is capable of throwing 70-100 pitches in a night effectively. 
2) He can give you multiple innings (1 time through the order) down the stretch. 

Stretching him out is mostly a long-term thing. Can he handle being a starter? But down the stretch, you will need him and Detmers to pitch 2-3 innings at times. Bachman can fill a similar role this year, possibly, before he really works on his CH. 

the perfect example, even though with the Dogs, was Valenzuela in September 1980.    Pitched some 18 relief innings with great numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We picked a pitcher -- I'm seriously pretty darn happy with that.  For some reason i can't shake the feeling he just looks physically like a RP.  But whatever, can't complain.  Just glad it's not another athletic OF/MI who just started playing baseball a couple weeks ago.

Sure Kumar was there to be taken, but MLB draft (for a multitude of reasons -- whether right or not) just doesn't fall under the BPA selection process.  They had 2-3 guys identified and it would be them no matter what.  

Now go get some more pitchers today 2-10....maybe sprinkle a catcher in there while you're at it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

@Jeff Fletcheris it true that some Angels’ FO members see his absolute ceiling as a Justin Verlander type? I saw a report on a fan site that made this claim. 
 

also can someone explain to me why some draft reviews are knocking him for his size? He’s 6’1”. How could that be a knock? 

I haven’t talked to anyone but Swanson about him since I was flying to Denver last night. Swanson said just what you’ve read. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man... this is a little more negative than what I was expecting... though that's on me. 

I kinda totally get getting gun-shy on Rocker. It's been two years since he's looked like a sure-fire, #1-or-#2 pick; it will be another 8 months or so until he's pitching in live games regularly. That's a long time before you can see if his last two seasons were a "2020" thing or an "actual (if small) decline" sort of thing. Also won't be surprised to hear if there is some background stuff that helped him drop. Bottom line--  I'm more surprised that Madden was on the board than Rocker. 

 Madden would have been my choice, but Bachman has some really, really exciting stuff -- I actually think he has a shot at having a plus change, but he really only needs an average one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fourts said:

We picked a pitcher -- I'm seriously pretty darn happy with that.  For some reason i can't shake the feeling he just looks physically like a RP.  But whatever, can't complain.  Just glad it's not another athletic OF/MI who just started playing baseball a couple weeks ago.

Sure Kumar was there to be taken, but MLB draft (for a multitude of reasons -- whether right or not) just doesn't fall under the BPA selection process.  They had 2-3 guys identified and it would be them no matter what.  

Now go get some more pitchers today 2-10....maybe sprinkle a catcher in there while you're at it. 

I think if Leiter or Mayer drops to us then it's a different story.  I think the reason the mlb draft is different is because of the pool.  No draft is really bpa when you think about it.  It's best player on your board of how you've ranked them and each org is going to have different rankings.  

Also, I think we're going to take a few catchers over the remainder of the draft.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Fangraphs:

KG: This was a bit of a head scratcher for the first draft under new GM Perry Minasian. In terms of raw talent, Bachman was seen as more of a mid-first round type, and concerns over his hip and shoulder issues had some teams taking him out of contention for their pick. Yes, he can throw 100 mph, but the reliever risk here is considerable, and it all adds up to a questionable selection.

 

EL: Bachman fits recent Angels selection patterns in that he’s a college pitcher who will likely race to the big leagues, assuming he’s healthy. Industry buzz about his medical made him at risk of falling the way Madden did, and so this may be for under-slot. Under-slot here makes all the Will Taylor rumors make more sense, just in round two now instead of one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

In the playoffs--and conceivably during a stretch run--all bets are off in terms of pitching placement. The ones that stick out to me from the last few years are Eovaldi, Price, Urias...good starters are used in relief roles to maximize the effectiveness of the staff. If C-Rod can be stretched out as a starter, it accomplishes two things: 

1) You know whether or not he is capable of throwing 70-100 pitches in a night effectively. 
2) He can give you multiple innings (1 time through the order) down the stretch. 

Stretching him out is mostly a long-term thing. Can he handle being a starter? But down the stretch, you will need him and Detmers to pitch 2-3 innings at times. Bachman can fill a similar role this year, possibly, before he really works on his CH. 

Halos will need starters once Heaney and Cobb traded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2021 at 6:41 PM, mmc said:

Well I liked this pick but considering all the draft aficionados in here say it’s the worst move we’ve ever made I guess I should start drinking again 

stopping was your mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...