• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select RHP Sam Bachman, Miami (OH), 9th overall

mmc

9 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i think everybody here is managing their reactions pretty well considering the angels passed over madden and rocker. nobody would have predicted that they'd both be there at #9. 

the other guy nailed it with the, "why can't you just be normal?" comment.

Toni Collette GIF by Knives Out

Madden still on the board too

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/liveblog/angels-seattle-mariners-live-updates-score-odds-news-mike-trout-shohei-ohtani?p=angels-select-pitcher-sam-bachman-ninth-overall-plan-to-develop-him-as-starter

“It’s a dynamic pitch package that plays off itself,” Angels scouting director Matt Swanson said. “The weapons are really impressive. What’s really impressive is the ground ball rate for him too. It’s not completely just a pure power pitcher. He also has a lot of finesse and grace to how he goes about it on the mound.”

When the Angels went on the clock Sunday, highly touted Vanderbilt pitcher Kumar Rocker was still available, staying on the board far later than most mock drafts projected.

The Angels, however, stuck with Bachman, who some pundits said profiled more as a reliever but the Angels believe can be an effective starter long-term.

“When I was able to go and see him live, what really stood out to me was the craft that he had developed, just the fine touches and the nuances that sometimes are lacking from a traditional power pitcher,” Swanson said. “He’s a really nice advanced blend of power and finesse. A very special young man.”

“His character and his routine and his prep for pitching and taking care of his body and doing everything he needs to do to be ready, I mean it was really unmatched in this class,” Swanson added. “Just spend 10 minutes with him on a Zoom and it’s just very obvious … how much Sam genuinely cares about his craft.”

I like the pick overall, and definitely prefer him to Madden. I might have preferred Rocker or either House or Watson, but A) the Angels need pitching help really badly, B) they have lots of high upside middle infielders in Vera, Paris, Blakely, and Jackson, C) Bachman isn't far off and could conceivably reach Anaheim sometime in 2022, D) I like his upside more than any pitcher other than Jobe and Leiter, and also, E) He'll probably sign for less than Rocker.

12 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

@Jeff Fletcheris it true that some Angels’ FO members see his absolute ceiling as a Justin Verlander type? I saw a report on a fan site that made this claim. 

also can someone explain to me why some draft reviews are knocking him for his size? He’s 6’1”. How could that be a knock? 

Most frontline guys are in the 6'3-6'5 range. Verlander, Scherzer, Degrom, Kershaw (lol), Cole (lol again).

But guys like Greinke, Marquez and Bauer (lol number 3) are 6'1.

It's just about having a "projectable frame". Generally speaking taller starting pitchers have more success. 

It's more his size plus his odd delivery mechanics. 

The average size of the top 10 starters in baseball a few years ago was 6'3" 1/2; it's just been a natural progression in most sports that the best athletes keep getting bigger and stronger.  Bigger guys have release points that are higher and closer to home plate, and the common belief is that they hold up better to wear and tear (how true that is, who knows).  Like tdawg iterated, if you have two guys with the same exact stuff but one is 6'1" and the other 6'5", most orgs are gonna take the "bigger frame" since on average taller pitchers fit the profile of success more often.

Verlander is 6'5" and was by far the best pitcher in his draft (2nd overall), so he had a higher pedigree than Bachman.  Verlander also had a great curveball out of college, Bachman seems to be a fastball/slider guy for now.

1 minute ago, ukyah said:

man, how happy are tigers fans today? just imagine the angels adding jobe and madden in the first and supplemental rounds. talk about an injection of pitching talent. if they manage to even do marginally well with the rest of their picks they look to have had an awesome draft for their future.

And they have the 3rd pick tomorrow morning, too.  They're going to be stacked.

Do I prefer Rocker than Bachman? 100%.

But I'm starting to warm up to grabbing Bachman. I Can say that Bachman has as much upside as anyone in this draft, A true 1. 

Watching the way he pitches, he reminded me alot of Kluber in his prime. Kluber was a Sinker/Slider guy  similar to Bachman. My concern is Bachman mechanics, it's similar to Klubers when it comes to the the arm swing, but Kluber's windup is alot smoother.

His stuff conceivably puts him in the bullpen discussion this season if the Angels have a need. This is almost like making the first ‘trade’ of the season in that they acquired a near MLB-ready relief prospect for the stretch run. Look at the White Sox and how they used Crochet. 

Adding CRod, Detmers, and Bachman to the MLB pen in August/September could be a huge lift after adding Rendon, Upton, and Trout back to the offense in July. That’s assuming Ohtani, Cobb, Heaney, Sandoval, Suarez stay healthy and maintain a bulk of the rotation.

Still, after this, add one more vet reliever and maybe an impact SP or solid rental SP and you have a greatly improved team without really taking much away from the farm.

Edited by totdprods

Just now, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Lol so when do we get our reward? 

Exactly.  The Tigers have the same number of playoff appearances since 2015...I know few people on here will probably agree with me, but sometimes it's better to suck for a few years than to be mediocre.  It pays off more in the long run.  (And the Tigers had a pretty good run from 2006-2016)

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

His stuff conceivably puts him in the bullpen discussion this season if the Angels have a need. This is almost like making the first ‘trade’ of the season in that they acquired a near MLB-ready relief prospect for the stretch run. Look at the White Sox and how they used Crochet. 

Adding CRod, Detmers, and Bachman to the MLB pen in August/September could be a huge lift after adding Rendon, Upton, and Trout back to the offense in July. That’s assuming Ohtani, Cobb, Heaney, Sandoval, Suarez stay healthy and maintain a bulk of the rotation.

Still, after this, add one more vet reliever and maybe an impact SP or solid rental SP and you have a greatly improved team without really taking much away from the farm.

So why would u send down CRod to minors to work as starter? Bring him and Detmers up and put them in pen? August 1st Danish will be in pen.