• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Daron Sutton let go

32 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not sure.  But I just find it very odd that someone would include specific language saying "without incident" in a text/press release like that.  It's so awkward and sticks out!

Yep. Sounds like something that his reps would include.

37 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Sutton is a good guy, but as I've come to understand, this is an issue regarding his faith, and his openness of it, and how it has affected his work relationships.  He's mentioned God on air a few times and uses faith specific vocabulary, and hasn't altered his approach to broadcasting, in spite of multiple warnings from producers. 

Make of that what you will, but I've been told this from a reliable source. 

I’m not religious and have never noticed this.

33 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not sure.  But I just find it very odd that someone would include specific language saying "without incident" in a text/press release like that.  It's so awkward and sticks out!

It’s like when @Taylor describes himself as the “not gay Angels fan”.

I guess Sutton had too much personality and charisma for the Angels? I haven't watched many games this year but he always seemed to bring it whenever Ohtani hit a bomb.

Definitely weird considering Gubi and Mota still have jobs. No one enjoys listening to them. Most either dislike or are indifferent.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Say what you will about Sutton's broadcast skills a mid season firing is shocking. Considering how long Mota and Gubi AND SMITH have hung on you'd think no matter how bad Sutton was he'd last at least through the season.

3 hours ago, JoJo26 said:

Gubi & Sutton turned into a total homer act. All Ohtani..all the time. I mean, it was gushing homerism.

Matt isn't the most unbias announcer either: "Get down! Get down!" - I mean - stop rooting.

I've been around since the days of Enberg, Drysdale, Bob Starr, etc....and. .IMO...Sutton was not the best. Maybe it's doing game in front of a monitor and not in person...but the team of Gubi & Sut / Matt have become somewhat unlistenable.

Never thought I'd miss Victor Rojas...but I do. 

for the life of me i will never understand why people don't want the in-house broadcast to openly be rooting for the team. it's not espn or fox or whatever, it's angels broadcast. so weird.

31 minutes ago, NrM said:

I guess Sutton had too much personality and charisma for the Angels? I haven't watched many games this year but he always seemed to bring it whenever Ohtani hit a bomb.

Definitely weird considering Gubi and Mota still have jobs. No one enjoys listening to them. Most either dislike or are indifferent.

I like Gubi and Mota

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

It was interpersonal relationships. 

Is that grounds for termination?

I've worked with a handful of people who were just a little too into Jesus before and aside from maybe a brief talking to from management I don't think anything ever came of it.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

That’s weird because he isn’t new to this. 

Yes, I suppose it is. I actually didn't know his background when he came on board so he seemed like a pick out of the blue to me. Makes it even stranger to me that he has a background doing this and still couldn't speak well to the actual baseball stuff.

9 minutes ago, ettin said:

Yes, I suppose it is. I actually didn't know his background when he came on board so he seemed like a pick out of the blue to me. Makes it even stranger to me that he has a background doing this and still couldn't speak well to the actual baseball stuff.

And Matt Vasgersian doesn't know what WAR is...

23 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

And Matt Vasgersian doesn't know what WAR is...

Hush you.  Vasgersian is still in early JeDi reverence amongst the cliquey nerds.

I just don't understand why this had to happen in the middle of the season, especially with no clear replacement plan moving forward.

Maybe there's more to it that explains it, but it just looks like a classless move by the Angels right now.