• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Daron Sutton let go

mmc

I don't like to see people fired, but I really didn't like him as a broadcaster and I'm not particularly hard on them. I am even okay with everyone else on the broadcast. I just found him unlistenable. The timing is weird, but whatever.

Hopefully, they can find someone better.

I think they really like their ‘player’ games or whatever they call them with Mota and Gubie and guests. Think we will just see more of those in the second half depending on Matty Vs availability. 

Sad about Sutton and don’t think the org/Bally has covered itself in glory letting him go mid season. While i do think he wasn’t the easiest listen on occasion and his style didn’t always mesh with Gubie, his passion for the angels and his profession shone through, he brought a spark to the booth and having had the chance to chat to him before the season he’s a genuinely nice man, who was over the moon to be in his dream job. A shame to see it end so abruptly  

Really hope someone (Fletcher, Jack Harris?) digs into what's behind this move. 

Meanwhile, in looking through Sutton's replies on Twitter, I found this (there is a deleted Tweet in between these two Tweets, but Sutton is replying to this guy):

Maybe this is the kind of thing people just say all the time even if they don't mean it, but it still stood out to me. 

I didn’t care too much for Sutton’s style (I think he talked too much), but he was obviously a true angels fan so it’s unfortunate. I miss Rojas, really liked his style. If a Angels player did a bonehead move he would call them out.

……I’m looking at you Justin Bour.

52 minutes ago, halonatic13 said:

I liked Sutton of old when he was our color person.  He's not a lead announcer.  His voice got too high pitched and naisely for me. 

Dish doesn't have Bally West so I've heard very little of Sutton.

But what I have heard did not jibe with my 20 year old recollection of his voice when he was on the radio in 2001.

12 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Dish doesn't have Bally West so I've heard very little of Sutton.

But what I have heard did not jibe with my 20 year old recollection of his voice when he was on the radio in 2001.

Maybe you are remembering Mario Impemba who was the lead Angels radio announcer, Sutton was doing color. Maybe that is who the Angels thought they were picking up and realized they screwed up. Impemba is out of work right now, the Red Sox only used him for the 2019 season. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Maybe you are remembering Mario Impemba who was the lead Angels radio announcer, Sutton was doing color. 

I don't recall either one as a screamer.

But I think that's just a trend in 2021.

Vasgergian's call of Ohtani's home run the other day sounded like a combination of him climaxing during a Scarlett Johansson blow job while simultaneously getting a 120 volt shock to the nuts.

I actually liked Sutton slightly more than Matty V. Neither one of them hold a candle to Victor IMHO but I thought they both brought different strengths. Daron was definitely a huge homer but I personally didn't mind that.

This is a huge surprise especially if Vasgersian doesn't do all the games for the rest of the season. 

This is for the best, he was really awful. Way too much of a homer and lots of dead air. He acted like the Angels were the best team in baseball for every single play even when they were down by several runs.

The Trojan is just as bad, hopefully he can go back to ESPN or MLB or wherever he is from too.

31 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I don't recall either one as a screamer.

But I think that's just a trend in 2021.

Vasgergian's call of Ohtani's home run the other day sounded like a combination of him climaxing during a Scarlett Johansson blow job while simultaneously getting a 120 volt shock to the nuts.

Yeah I really don't like Matt V. when he goes to his upper register.