• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 MLB draft thread

3 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Rocker really should take the money if there really is something concerning with his elbow.

If they actually make an offer (which they're not required to do in order to receive the compensation pick, since Rocker skipped the pre-draft MRI program), he should pretty much take it even if there's NOT anything wrong with his elbow.  To me, it would be too big of a risk to go back to Vandy and hope to move up a couple slots in the draft. 

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

How big of a bullet did we dodger here? Everyone was ready to riot. Not just on here, but tritter, IG, etc etc

If you followed me on tritter, you'd know I was saying we dodgered one giant bullet after not drafting him.

21 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

How big of a bullet did we dodger here? Everyone was ready to riot. Not just on here, but tritter, IG, etc etc

Cant even imagine how screwed wed be if we took him. Which at the time seemed like a no brainer

Honestly the Met’s aren’t screwed, and if we drafted him we wouldn’t be screwed, assuming it is an elbow thing that needs TJ.  It comes down to a one time signing bonus.  I’d much rather the Angels screw this up and sign him and give him $3 million more than they should have than if they were to have signed Strasburg and wasted $245 million, which prevents them from signing actual players for the ML roster.  

24 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If they actually make an offer (which they're not required to do in order to receive the compensation pick, since Rocker skipped the pre-draft MRI program), he should pretty much take it even if there's NOT anything wrong with his elbow.  To me, it would be too big of a risk to go back to Vandy and hope to move up a couple slots in the draft. 

Honestly.... Its stupider of the Mets IMO.

If they were willing to ignore the warning signs because they liked his skill set .... so much so they were willing to dampen the value of other picks, then they should have been willing to absorb the possible injury.

The guy was the only top 50 pitcher in the draft that refused to take the MRI, they publicly talked up the 6 mil agreement, going so far as to say they brought up the signing bonuses required to get him prior to drafting him. 

It's a crapshoot situation but the Mets tried to get over.  At least Rocker has NIL money potentially and two more draft years.... the biggest risk IMO, not knowing if the MLBPA will again sell out incoming draftees to get what they want from ownership..

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Cant even imagine how screwed wed be if we took him. Which at the time seemed like a no brainer

Meh...  If he needs TJS then he needs TJS....   The big loss is gearing the rest of the draft around freeing money to sign him, only to not sign him.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Honestly the Met’s are screwed, and if we drafted him we wouldn’t be screwed, assuming it is an elbow thing that needs TJ.  It comes down to a one time signing bonus.  I’d much rather the Angels screw this up and sign him and give him $3 million more than they should have than if they were to have signed Strasburg and wasted $245 million, which prevents them from signing actual players for the ML roster.  

Yeah, if it's a TJ-repairable thing, in which case you lose a year and a half of development (but with so many getting TJ now, you almost have to assume it'll happen sometime.)

So, that kind of makes me think it's potentially worse than TJ. 

Anyway - had we drafted him, there'd be two impacts:

1.  To meet his contract demands, we'd not have drafted/signed Albright

2.  We wouldn't have Bachman

Who knows, maybe in 5 years, Rocker wins the Cy Young and these two guys are washing cars for a living, and we'll all be gnashing our teeth over a missed opportunity.

But at the moment, it's looks a pretty big swing.  

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Meh...  If he needs TJS then he needs TJS....   The big loss is gearing the rest of the draft around freeing money to sign him, only to not sign him.  

Yeah but don’t they get to use that money they freed elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Yeah, if it's a TJ-repairable thing, in which case you lose a year and a half of development (but with so many getting TJ now, you almost have to assume it'll happen sometime.)

So, that kind of makes me think it's potentially worse than TJ. 

Anyway - had we drafted him, there'd be two impacts:

1.  To meet his contract demands, we'd not have drafted/signed Albright

2.  We wouldn't have Bachman

Who knows, maybe in 5 years, Rocker wins the Cy Young and these two guys are washing cars for a living, and we'll all be gnashing our teeth over a missed opportunity.

But at the moment, it's looks a pretty big swing.  

I meant to say the Mets aren’t screwed.

LOL. I'd rather have Sam Bachman than a compensation pick next year. 

What will Rocker do now? What does it mean to "begin his pro career" without a team? Independent leagues? He can't sign with another team until next draft, but I assume he can play in the independent league. So he forgoes, what, $4-5M in the hopes of getting $6-7M next year? There must be more to the story.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

LOL. I'd rather have Sam Bachman than a compensation pick next year. 

What will Rocker do now? What does it mean to "begin his pro career" without a team? Independent leagues? He can't sign with another team until next draft, but I assume he can play in the independent league. So he forgoes, what, $4-5M in the hopes of getting $6-7M next year? There must be more to the story.

He can go back to Vandy, too.  That honestly might be more appealing than playing indie ball.