• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

45 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'd say Scherzer. They need a guy that will anchor the rotation who's got the resume for the playoffs and that has Scherzer written all over it. But I also don't think they stop there either. 
They have had only two rotation pieces work well this season. Yu Darvish and Joe Musgrove.... Snell, Paddack, Lamet and Weathers have either been extremely inconsistent, injured or just need the innings. 

They might be okay with a top 3 rotation in the playoffs, but it can be risky. 

After Scherzer they can still use a solid depth guy and some bullpen help. Could always use a good bullpen in the playoffs. 

Enter Alex Cobb and Raisel Iglesias. 

Don’t the Padres still have a deep enough upper farm system?

Sounds good to me.

A couple stabs at guesses..

MLB:

1. Scherzer to the Dodgers
  2. Berrios + to the Mariners
  3. Story and Gray to the Athletics 

Angels:

1. Send Raisel Iglesias to Dodgers for Brusdar Graterol
  2. Trade Andrew Heaney and maybe a prospect to Padres for two near MLB-ready RP prospects
  3. Acquire Drew Smyly and Luke Jackson for relatively expendable prospects
  4. Acquire Caleb Thielbar for Hector Yan and Brennon Lund

Angels completely remake pen without selling the farm or throwing in the towel. Shore up next year's bullpen as well.

Edited by totdprods

40 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think you've also made a good point in the minor league thread about navigating the upcoming R5 eligible players along with your thought process here.  There are so many.  Which is why they shouldn't be reluctant to do some call ups and essentially have tryouts for the rest of the year.  

Exactly 

They have 44 of the 61 remaining games against currently over .500 teams.   Virtually no chance at a WC

10 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

They need Scherzer. They need a guy who can literally lead the entire team in the playoffs. It makes too much sense. 

Agree.

Also have to admit I would love Scherzer here for the same reason for next year (obviously would need to extend).

I don’t think he is done even though he is 37.

Edited by Dtwncbad

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Angels:

2. Trade Andrew Heaney and maybe a prospect to Padres for two near MLB-ready RP prospects

Angels completely remake pen without selling the farm or throwing in the towel. Shore up next year's bullpen as well.

1 and 2 make sense....not sure 3  is a good idea.....Let Detmers replace Heaney.....Braves wouldn't trade Smyly and Jackson for "relatively expendable prospects" either.....4 I'm not sure about, pretty expensive for a bullpen piece.....

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

MLB:

Angels:

The Padre would have less than zero interest in Heaney.

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

1, 2 and 4 makes sense....not sure 3  is a good idea.....Let Detmers replace Heaney.....Braves wouldn't trade Smyly and Jackson for "relatively expendable prospects" either.....

Smyly has been solid since giving up 5 ER in three straight April starts. Since start of May he's at a 3.26 ERA in 13 starts. Not great, still probably better than what Detmers could be expected to deliver out of the gate, and still gives off some notion of 'contending'.

If he sucks, they can still make that move and dump Smyly or move him to the pen. 

Jackson has a good ERA this year but his peripherals took a step back, and his track record is more of a solid 6th-7th inning guy. I actually see legs for a Mike Mayers for Luke Jackson swap here. Mayers has a little more upside and an extra year of control, Jackson has a little safer floor. Add in Smyly and maybe a Trent Deveaux or Robinson Pina or D'Shawn Knowles-type prospect and it starts to feel realistic. 

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Don’t the Padres still have a deep enough upper farm system?

Sounds good to me.

If you mean to trade for Scherzer? yes, though I really doubt it costs top top prospects for him.

If you mean to add into the bullpen? yes and no. Yes to fill but a big no-no to force them to produce in the playoffs. 

They need a seasoned vet if they wanna beat the Dodgers..... Or anyone. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Hmm, why? He's been arguably better than Snell and Paddack this year. 

They are disappointed in what those guys have done.  They want premium not “arguably better.”

If they were OK with “arguably better” then they would stand pat since both Snell and Paddack are “arguably better” than how they have pitched.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

They are disappointed in what those guys have done.  They want premium not “arguably better.”

If they were OK with “arguably better” then they would stand pat since both Snell and Paddack are “arguably better” than how they have pitched.

They can make other moves still. I didn't say Heaney would be their one add...feel like Heaney is a good buy for them as they also are adept at making moves that don't gut their farm. They might need premium but they can make other moves.

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Smyly has been solid since giving up 5 ER in three straight April starts. Since start of May he's at a 3.26 ERA in 13 starts. Not great, still probably better than what Detmers could be expected to deliver out of the gate, and still gives off some notion of 'contending'.

If he sucks, they can still make that move and dump Smyly or move him to the pen. 

Jackson has a good ERA this year but his peripherals took a step back, and his track record is more of a solid 6th-7th inning guy. I actually see legs for a Mike Mayers for Luke Jackson swap here. Mayers has a little more upside and an extra year of control, Jackson has a little safer floor. Add in Smyly and maybe a Trent Deveaux or Robinson Pina or D'Shawn Knowles-type prospect and it starts to feel realistic. 

I watch the Braves every night (2nd favorite team) and I wouldn't want Jackson.  I don't think we should trade for any rentals, so no Smyley for me.  He has been ok but I just don't want to trade for a rental. 

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

MLB:

Angels:

No way the Padres let the Dodgers get Scherzer. He's the playoff GOAT and the Padres can afford him more than the Dodgers can. Plus they can't let him go to their rival.

I like the Graterol idea..... a lot. 

Still would like them to at least check in with the Marlins. 
Adding to what you've proposed and including something for a frontline arm for Adell would drastically change the Angels for 2022.

Considering the players the Padres have been rumored to be looking into I'd be surprised if a guy like Heaney was even on their radar.  They're looking for a proven SP to go with Darvish and Musgrove to make a run in the playoffs.  As far as the Angels I don't see why they would be interested in a rental like Smyly.  As others have said the Angels should be looking to make moves that improve the team next year while moving guys who are pending FA's that they don't intend to re-sign.