• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Trade Deadline Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, ukyah said:

is there such a thing as a top 15 reliever prospect? 

Upon re-reading, this I realize I sound like quite the ass.

Getting any two of an organizations top 15 relievers would probably land you players who would not make a major league roster.

Getting two of the top five would make more sense

This is just a hunch, but I think the Angels trade Heaney, but not Raisel or Cobb. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they want to signal to the team that they're throwing in the towel by trading Raisel and Cobb, not unless they are blown away by an offer. They'd really need to get at least one 50 FV prospect for each, and I'm not sure any teams are willing to give that up. Maybe for Raisel, but they might want someone really good (e.g. a 55 FV prospect).

We might see one or two other minor moves - maybe Watson and one or two younger players added to sweeten the deal. So we might, for instance, see Heaney and Ward or Rengifo traded for a couple prospects, in the 40-45 FV range.

Just a hunch, though. 

Feels like the calm before the storm.  We’ve seen a pretty busy trade deadline so far (the league not the Angels).  Today I think Scherzer will be dealt. Bryant and Kimbrell will be moved along with Berrios today or tomorrow.

Who will be the guy traded that no one thought will be traded?  I’m going to throw two names out there, Matt Chapman and Blake Snell as two guys that could be traded and would be a bit surprising.  

My 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Feels like the calm before the storm.  We’ve seen a pretty busy trade deadline so far (the league not the Angels).  Today I think Scherzer will be dealt. Bryant and Kimbrell will be moved along with Berrios today or tomorrow.

Who will be the guy traded that no one thought will be traded?  I’m going to throw two names out there, Matt Chapman and Blake Snell as two guys that could be traded and would be a bit surprising.  

My hope: Justin Upton. 

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is just a hunch, but I think the Angels trade Heaney, but not Raisel or Cobb. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they want to signal to the team that they're throwing in the towel by trading Raisel and Cobb, not unless they are blown away by an offer. They'd really need to get at least one 50 FV prospect for each, and I'm not sure any teams are willing to give that up. Maybe for Raisel, but they might want someone really good (e.g. a 55 FV prospect).

We might see one or two other minor moves - maybe Watson and one or two younger players added to sweeten the deal. So we might, for instance, see Heaney and Ward or Rengifo traded for a couple prospects, in the 40-45 FV range.

Just a hunch, though. 

Sticking to what I suggested yesterday...they'll try to be busy (and it might) but I think...pretty much agree with you though.

• They'll trade Heaney and give his innings to Barria, Detmers, and/or Rodriguez (or a trade return).
  • Set a very high price on Iglesias or Cobb - they might move them, they might not - but if they do, it'll probably be for something good.
  • They'll add a reliever or two - maybe rental, likely not a big name. Low-key, under the radar types. 
  • I think they do wind up dumping one of Bundy, Quintana, or even Watson or Cishek, maybe two together to a team buying real low
  • They'll shop Adell/Marsh, Canning/CRod, maybe a SS prospect and young pitching prospect for an impact, controllable arm (plus another piece) but may not find a deal
  • Also said I'd randomly like to see Carlos Santana added, and that was before Walsh was injured. I'd still like to see this, even if it's weird. 

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sticking to what I suggested yesterday...they'll try to be busy (and it might) but I think...

• They'll trade Heaney and give his innings to Barria, Detmers, and/or Rodriguez (or a trade return).
  • Set a very high price on Iglesias or Cobb - they might move them, they might not - but if they do, it'll probably be for something good.
  • They'll add a reliever or two - maybe rental, likely not a big name. Low-key, under the radar types. 
  • I think they do wind up dumping one of Bundy, Quintana, or even Watson or Cishek, maybe two together to a team buying real low
  • They'll shop Adell/Marsh, Canning/CRod, maybe a SS prospect and young pitching prospect for an impact, controllable arm (plus another piece) but may not find a deal
  • Also said I'd randomly like to see Carlos Santana added, and that was before Walsh was injured. I'd still like to see this, even if it's weird. 

That all makes sense. I do think some discussions will be had around Upton. While any team will want the Angels to either pay of chunk of next year's salary and/or add in a prospect, his resurgence this year makes him somewhat appealing for a contender looking to add a veteran bat. Maybe something like Upton, Jackson or Rengifo and $10M for a 45 FV pitching prospect.

Will it happen? Probably not, but I think it is within the realm of possibility.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Just now, Stradling said:

What they can’t do is nothing.  Either sell, buy guys that are under contract past this year, or both.  Doing nothing would be the worst possible thing. 

Well, it would be the second worst possible thing, and not "horrible" in that it wouldn't take anything away from the core they have for next year. The worst possible thing would be trading away prospects for rentals to make a desperate push this year. Say, Adell for Kimbrel.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, it would be the second worst possible thing, and not "horrible" in that it wouldn't take anything away from the core they have for next year. The worst possible thing would be trading away prospects for rentals to make a desperate push this year. Say, Adell for Kimbrel.

Good point. Or if they traded Iglesias for two 32 year olds and not two top 15 relief pitching prospects. 

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

That all makes sense. I do think some discussions will be had around Upton. While any team will want the Angels to either pay of chunk of next year's salary and/or add in a prospect, his resurgence this year makes him somewhat appealing for a contender looking to add a veteran bat. Maybe something like Upton, Jackson or Rengifo and $10M for a 45 FV pitching prospect.

Will it happen? Probably not, but I think it is within the realm of possibility.

I'd still be surprised if Upton went given his NTC and his daughter's health. Reading between the lines of his interviews over the years, it seemed he was really tired of moving around and not feeling a sense of belonging or being wanted where he went. He bounced around a lot, was used as a trade centerpiece a lot, and wasn't really pursued in free agency when he reached it. And I think even if we pay down his salary it would be tough for a team to take it on. He'd have to really want to get out of here - and I don't see that being the case.

He's also produced enough this year that I think it would be a mistake. I remember being hesitant to let Calhoun walk (once we missed the boat on trading him on at least two occasions) because I didn't think Adell would produce right out of the gate. Most thought he'd be at least as good as Calhoun that season. That two-year deal he signed would have been a huge lift here, unless he'd been just as injured. 

With one year left of Upton, I think we'd be better off holding him rather than risking a Trout-Adell-Marsh combo out of the gate in '22. 

It'd be risky but I keep coming back to Brusdar Graterol...I thought of him as an option as I was writing the 'If the Angels sell' threads and sure enough, there's murmur that the Dodgers are getting hits on him. 

An Iglesias for Graterol swap makes sense...you could argue the Angels should get more of a sure thing if they felt inclined to move Raisel, but at the same time, he is a rental, and Graterol could step right in and produce as a closer, potentially for several seasons to come.

It feels like a Dodgers type of move, tbh. They haven't hesitated moving young talent when they are 'blocked' or if they're filling another MLB-need in doing so. By signing Betts they already got their big return secured from that trade.

Edited by totdprods