• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Justin Upton and how much money would you pay?

16 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

He can't win he's getting 25 mill this year and 28 mill next. What I'm asking would you trade him save some money. What would be best for team?

Save money?   I really don't give a flying #$%& if Arte saves money.  I'd move him for controllable pitching or a young position player at a need position but, I don't see any point to reducing payroll if it creates a black hole.  Adell still isn't ready, Marsh for all his talent needs to stay upright for more than 30 consecutive days, 30 seconds would be a nice start..  I have vivid memories of life after GA in LF, and D-Macs body betraying him, so screw saving money.

28 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:
5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Save money?   I really don't give a flying #$%& if Arte saves money.  I'd move him for controllable pitching or a young position player at a need position but, I don't see any point to reducing payroll if it creates a black hole.  Adell still isn't ready, Marsh for all his talent needs to stay upright for more than 30 consecutive days, 30 seconds would be a nice start..  I have vivid memories of life after GA in LF, and D-Macs body betraying him, so screw saving money.

I agree

10 minutes ago, Fourts said:

I think there would be a limited amount of teams interested....and it would depend on how much the angels would pay it down before they would want him.  The vast majority of teams would not be interested in him.  Easier said than done imho.

Well once you pay a guy $20 plus million there’s always going to be a limited market. 

Sale is owed 3/$85M for 2022-24 with a $20M vesting option (top 10 in CY, not finishing year on IL) for 2025. Plus, there's the money he's owed this year.

I would not trade Upton for Sale straight up, but I would trade Upton, but it would depend upon A) How much a team would pay of his salary, and B) what they'd give up in return. And, of course, how the two combine. I figure he's an average regular at this point, so 2-3 WAR per season, with the caveat that he has a recent injury history and is oldish (a 34 year old projected to give 2-3 WAR is worth less than a 25 year old). 

The Angels also have two guys on the cusp of the major leagues who have a good chance of being at least as good as Upton next year. In other words:

Upton $28M

Adell $563.5K

Marsh $563.5K

If we assume that all will produce in the 2-3 WAR range next year, given close to full-time play, one could argue that any amount of money saved on trading Upton is worth it, as Adell and Marsh can (probably) equal his performance. But if for some reason the Angels don't think both Adell and Marsh will be ready on Opening Day, then Upton's value to the team goes up. But pretty much no matter what, I think if someone will pay half his salary he should (and will) be traded, and then adjust that number depending upon what they get back in a return.

Oh, yeah, and Upton does have some trade value for a team needing a 2-3 WAR outfielder. But how much is he worth to another team? According to Fangraphs, the cost per win (WAR) has stabilized in the $8-9M, meaning a 2-3 WAR player costs about $15-25M per year, depending upon age, injury history, and contract years. Given Upton's age next year (34) and recent injury history, he's probably worth a bit less than that. But I think he could probably get about $10M on the open market for a single year, so a team might be willing to take on $8-12M of his contract and give up a fringe prospect in return. I would be surprised if it was more than that, though.

19 minutes ago, rageous said:

I don't see a need to trade him especially considering that neither Marsh or Adell are tearing up AAA.

They can both use an extra year in the minors to work on their hitting and it's highly doubtful either of them would outproduce Upton next year.

I disagree, as I said above. If Marsh were healthy, I think he could product 2 WAR right now. His offense would be below Upton's, at least right now, but his defense would make up the difference. Adell...who knows. But we can still hope that he's ready to be at least a solid major leaguer next year.

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I disagree, as I said above. If Marsh were healthy, I think he could product 2 WAR right now. His offense would be below Upton's, at least right now, but his defense would make up the difference. Adell...who knows. But we can still hope that he's ready to be at least a solid major leaguer next year.

Yes if he was healthy we can speculate him being about Upton’s ability overall.  But he isn’t and hasn’t been healthy. 

53 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Steamer projects him at 0.1 WAR 

He is still projected as a below average bat in the major leagues next year unless something changes.

at a time when we're all frustrated at the number of players who aren't producing, it seems kind of foolish to trade one who is being productive, *especially with no one really ready to replace him in the lineup.

and for those of you who are tired of wasting trout, this wouldn't help at all, especially since the team is starting to play well.

*the one exception being if we could lure j. b. schuck out of retirement

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Yes if he was healthy we can speculate him being about Upton’s ability overall.  But he isn’t and hasn’t been healthy. 

And it is June 22, 2021. Opening Day is in over 9 months. Hopefully he's healthy then.

1 hour ago, rageous said:

Steamer projects him at 0.1 WAR 

He is still projected as a below average bat in the major leagues next year unless something changes.

Steamer? heh.

25 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

He's just came back from injury, I could see him coming closer to career numbers next year. 

When was he injured? The most days he's had  between starts is 7 (once).

He's made 13 starts, which would be tied for most on the Angels.

8 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

I'd keep him if he continues to hit like he has since being moved to lead-off. It's 23 games batting first now and he's hitting .333 with a ridiculous .425 OBP and 1.013 OPS. He's scored a run per game himself over that time and had 15 walks to go with his 30 hits. Where else do you find that sort of production?

If J-up stays within 10% of what he's currently doing, I want him batting first. Or I want a very good starting pitcher if I'm trading him. 

.333  .425  1.013 - He's got a Trout like stat line batting first. This team gets worse if you trade that away.

there's no way upton is staying within 10% of his current production. he's killing it right now, and kudos to him, but this is a hot streak. the hope is that when he returns to normal, that normal is still a productive bat.

If Upton would agree to a trade you should do it if you can offload the 28m he's owed for next year.  Ward in LF, Walsh in RF and Thaiss at 1b.  

While I don't care about Arte's money, he does.  An extra 28m for next year cures a lot of roster sins 

I'd certainly do that if they fall out of contention.  If they're within a couple games of the wild card, I'd probably still do it but it wouldn't likely be well received.  

And no f'n way am I doing it for Sale or anyone else where the salary is even.  If we could dump that salary, to me it's a no brainer.  Don't care what we get in return.  If Arte wants to eat 10m and get a prospect then great.  Maybe a club controlled pen arm?  That would be icing.  

People want us to be more like the A's or Rays?  First, they would have never signed Upton and second, their GMs would be on the horn daily looking to move him right now.