• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels option Barria and Rodriguez, activate Quintana, recall Quijada

mmc

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If you recall this was exactly what I was concerned with prior to the season.  He was getting by on pure stuff, but he wasn't developing.  Now maybe we see that.

A rotation with Ohtani, a four pitch version of CRod, Sandoval, and Detmers, is potentially sexy.  Throw in Suarez, and sign a front end guy...  Boom!

Yes, I recall -  I'm glad he's going down - he has so much more potential value as a starter

Are you thinking Suarez will return to starting?  (sorry if that's common knowledge)

Your rotation seems a little optimistic to start the season next year - but if we get one solid TOR guy - Stroman/Gausman/Lynn - heck, I wonder if Scherzer might want to have a little fun for a year or two playing on a team with Ohtani, Trout, and Rendon? - we start to look a lot better, since we have Canning for depth and personally, I'd like to consider extending heaney - his FIP and SO/9 suggest he's been somewhat victimized by the defense, and he should be a useful depth piece (assuming he stays healthy the rest of the season.)

Just - where the heck do we get a bullpen?  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So they’ve been good longer than they were bad this year?  

Heaney's rocking a solid 3.62 ERA since his first start against Chicago...he's been way better than most would give him credit. Close to a career year.

Cobb got beat up in those two Texas games, otherwise pretty solid. Canning's biggest problem is he gets pulled pretty quick when wheels are coming off, so he could be worse, or better if allowed to pitch through some things. 

Bundy has been such a disappointment.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So Heaney or Cobb should be traded and could fetch us a decent return.  By decent I mean by today’s standards of a trade deadline deal on a player in the last year of his contract.  

As much as I want to see this team make the playoffs, and don't want to give up on that, I think they should trade both, plus both Iglesias, and ideally someone like Cishek, Claudio, and Watson emerges as useful to a contender. Quintana and Bundy seem pretty unlikely to have any value by now. 

Put at least Barria and Sandoval in the rotation for the rest of the year, and Rengifo at SS. Add one or two of Brady, Warren, Wantz, Higgins, and Hernandez to the pen. Maybe give Yan some innings. See what ya got. We'll probably have some players returned worth playing too. All told, they might be as likely to compete with those guys as we have to date. With so many players hitting FA this winter, we need to figure out who can really be replaced internally.

Conversely, I think between Barria, Thaiss, Rengifo, and lower-level guys like Knowles, Deveaux, Soto, Paris, Killam, Smith, Pina, Bonilla, they have the ability to nab a couple guys at the deadline too. 

Next three series will be big, IMO.

21 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Looking at Rodriguez's pitch distribution this season kinda bummed me out: 64% fastball, 27% slider, 5% changeup, 3% slider

Rodriguez has potentially 4 plus-pitches in his arsenal but was pigeon-holed into a two-pitch reliever in the bullpen. Thankfully, now he can get work in for all 4 of his pitches as a starter in for Rocket City.

and this was my point. He tries to overpower everyone. And this also may illustrate his lack of control with his change up.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Since May 1...

• Ohtani: 7 GS, 39.2 IP, 2.50 ERA
  • Heaney: 7 GS, 38.2 IP, 3.96 ERA
  • Cobb: 6 GS, 32.3 IP, 3.03 ERA
  • Sandoval: 9 G/6 GS, 39 IP, 3.69 ERA
  • Canning: 8 GS, 40 IP, 3.83 ERA 

Love to see that!  I didn't realize it had been that good for the whole starting staff except Bundy (who sports a lovely 8.91 ERA and a .985 OPS against him in 33 1/3 IP since May 1). 

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

you're kinda beating a dead horse though.  I'm pretty sure we're all aware of where you stand in relation to Barria.  You're making this your Glaus 2.0.  

Damn!  You remember when I endlessly bitched about Glaus being let go.i ask impressed.

1 hour ago, Mark PT said:

and yet he never uses it or shows any control while using it.

He never uses it because of the role he's in.  You're also making a mistake believing that the pitch is meant to be a strike.  The bottom drops out of it and people miss it, that's how he's used it.   The fact that he hasn't been throwing it/developing it has been a continuous source of scorn/lament for those of us that have followed him.

Good talk.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

He never uses it because of the role he's in.  You're also making a mistake believing that the pitch is meant to be a strike.  The bottom drops out of it and people miss it, that's how he's used it.   The fact that he hasn't been throwing it/developing it has been a continuous source of scorn/lament for those of us that have followed him.

Good talk.

Oh I get it, that its not meant to be a strike but this also gets him into trouble when he falls behind guys. He then tends to come straight over the middle and gets hurt. He still has not been able to figure out how to effectively use his ability, cause he does have alot of it. If he consistently pitches in the zone, I think he will not be forced to the middle so often. HE has tremendous potential but has not reached it yet, hopefully he does.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

You can pin the innings issue mostly on Joe Maddon! 

Ok, that s off the list.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Still no word on the other person to be added to 26 man roster????

15BBC6CB-CFD8-481C-A3D9-38AD33DEDBC5.png

Peering into the future, like a good manager.  Is that you, Joe?

• mmc changed the title to Angels option Barria and Rodriguez, activate Quintana, recall Quijada
On 6/21/2021 at 1:56 PM, Mark PT said:

This guy could be great if he learns a change up. Get Weaver in here to teach that ridiculous change he had.

This is you talking about his change up.   In this post "he needs to learn one."   It's actually been his best pitch throughout his career so, this statement makes it seem you're unaware of his repertoire or rather, unfamiliar with his strengths and weaknesses.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:23 PM, Mark PT said:

but he cant control it, that is what I mean. He consistently falls behind every count then pipes one.

This is you after several people mentioned it's actually his best pitch arguing he can't control it, and that he's constantly piping the pitch -- I'm guessing the assumption is that he's throwing a meatball when he does??   But let's move on.

On 6/22/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mark PT said:

and this was my point. He tries to overpower everyone. And this also may illustrate his lack of control with his change up.

This is you arguing he lacks control and that may be why he isn't throwing it...  but he's piping them remember.  Also, you seem to think a 22 year old rookie that had not pitched above A ball prior to this season has the carte blanche to decide his game-plan.

On 6/22/2021 at 1:22 PM, Mark PT said:

and yet he never uses it or shows any control while using it.

This is you double or tripling down on the lack of control of his best pitch ... but wait, there is more... 

20 hours ago, Mark PT said:

Oh I get it, that its not meant to be a strike but this also gets him into trouble when he falls behind guys. He then tends to come straight over the middle and gets hurt. 

This is you, after making several references to his not having control of the pitch now saying you know it's not meant to be a strike ... 
 Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
This is me trying to follow along.   You're all over the place.   

I'm going to try to make clear what my point was when I first responded...  But first -- a study of Chris Rodriguez and pitch selection post IL stint.

First game back.
image.png
22 pitches, 1 change-up.   Called ball.

Second game back...

image.png
16 pitches, 1 change up -- it was swung on and fouled off.

Third game back
image.png
15 pitches, 0 change ups.

Fourth game back
image.png
14 pitches, 0 change ups.

Final game before demotion
image.png
21 pitches, 1 change up.   Ball.

So... Since coming back.   88 pitches thrown, 3 change ups.  THREE.  Only one of which was swung on and it was fouled off. 

3.4% of his pitches have been change-ups... ZERO of them hurt him.   

So my point... 

He doesn't need to "learn one." He's not having trouble with it.  He's not piping it when he does throw it.  The problem is he's NOT been throwing his best pitch and their usage of him isn't allowing him to actually USE or DEVELOP it, because you don't throw a pitch that drops like a 12/6 curve but tends to not be a strike when you're missing with your sinker and curveball.  Maybe you have been mistaking his change for his curve because of the movement -- but the facts simply don't support your POV.

I think the more important thing is you see the potential, and believe he simply needs to tap into it -- so, we agree there... but our logic getting there is based on very different views of the the same problem.   Hopefully now that he's in AA, he will start throwing those other pitches, learn how to set guys up more.  I'd almost wish they would find a veteran minor league game caller to pair with him and Detmers in AA because that kid's stuff has also been playing up.

Anyway...  There was a lot of interesting insight coming from Gubi his last game out; he talked up his slider, and his change, specifically his change.  He's obviously seen him throwing it in bullpen sessions or on the side, he's aware of what a wipeout pitch it is and if anything it sounded like was lamenting the fact that he wasn't being used in a way where he could.  It's a ridiculously good pitch.

CRod's change is vicious because of it's movement, not because of a change in velocity or the plane it's thrown at.  Thing is, it's a pitch that he needs to throw, and he's not been doing that pitching once every four days for 1 inning at a time and even less so when he's been failing to throw strikes with his sinker and curve.