• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels option Barria and Rodriguez, activate Quintana, recall Quijada

mmc

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

tenor.gif

The inner fan in me wants Detmers called up to give me another reason to get excited but another part of me wants to see him keep dominating Double-A with his new teammate Chris Rodriguez.

Even if Detmers were going to come up, that would not be tomorrow’s move. They’d wait till it’s his turn to start. 

Think about it from the Angels standpoint.  Rodriguez isn't doing anything in the bullpen that some other player can't easily fill. And there's still some serious upside as a starter for Rod. Let him spend the rest of the year developing as a starter and let him and Detmers join the rotation together in 2022. 

Meanwhile, Sandoval is the present and future in this rotation, and Quintana may be neither of those. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Think about it from the Angels standpoint.  Rodriguez isn't doing anything in the bullpen that some other player can't easily fill. And there's still some serious upside as a starter for Rod. Let him spend the rest of the year developing as a starter and let him and Detmers join the rotation together in 2022. 

Meanwhile, Sandoval is the present and future in this rotation, and Quintana may be neither of those. 

Halo fans get early look at 2022 rotation after July 31. Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, Barria, Suarez. Detmers and Chris Rod

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If you recall this was exactly what I was concerned with prior to the season.  He was getting by on pure stuff, but he wasn't developing.  Now maybe we see that.

A rotation with Ohtani, a four pitch version of CRod, Sandoval, and Detmers, is potentially sexy.  Throw in Suarez, and sign a front end guy...  Boom!

comedy central GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not complaining .... I thought Gubi talking about this change and 3rd 4th pitches may have been a sign they have been having him throw those in bullpens or between starts.  It really started to sound like they realized it was a waste having be a two pitch, single inning RP.

Please God, let this not be true.......

with all due respect

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

And you can also assume that Quintana is not starting, since he was activated now. 

The Angels may not be very interested in a rehab start or two because Quintana would probably get shelled by minor league hitters.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

And that is what confuses me.

ERA+ 123 in 2018.  He ends up demoted back to AAA.  

ERA+ 130 in 2020.

Yet he is demoted to AAA.  Both Sandavol and Suerez (both players with weaker track records given chances to start).  Twice called up this year and demoted without seeing any action.

It's obvious they do not have confidence in him.  They should trade or rekease him.

I don't want you to think I have an issue with you because I don't, and it may seem like I'm picking on you but I assure you I'm not trying to do that. But why this...thing with Barria?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a shot in the rotation. In fact, he should probably be in there over Bundy right now (and he may very well be by the end of the year). But do you think the front office is missing something you aren't? They aren't building a pitching staff out of what guys have done in the past; it's what they can do going forward. That's why Sandoval is there and he's been excellent.

If this stuff is "messing with his head" as you say, then that's on him. That's the nature of professional baseball. There's conversations that happen. Now if Barria was called up and told by Maddon "you're now in the rotation going forward" and THEN gets sent down, then you might have a point. But I sincerely doubt that happened. And even if it did, things change and I'm sure that would have been communicated to Barria. 

It's obvious the team doesn't see in him what you do. But he has 5 years of control left if you count this year. His time will come.

Edited by tdawg87

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Both Suarez and Sandoval have been stuff.  They brought him up in case one of the starting pitchers had a short outing while he was up. Neither did.  

I am tired of arguing with you.  I have been around sports enough to see an athletic getting screwed with.  In fact I made a living off of those type of players as reclamation projects.

Barria should earned a starting spot off of his 2018 performance.

He should have been giving a rotation spot after 2020.

They do not have confidence him and obviously you do.  I can tell you I win a lot of basketball games taking players that "weren't " good enough on previous teams.

I know how know how to recognize a player being fuckef over.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't want you to think I have an issue with you because I don't, and it may seem like I'm picking on you but I assure you I'm not trying to do that. But why this...thing with Barria?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a shot in the rotation. In fact, he should probably be in there over Bundy right now (and he may very well be by the end of the year). But do you think the front office is missing something you aren't? They aren't building a pitching staff out of what guys have done in the past; it's what they can do going forward. That's why Sandoval is there and he's been excellent.

If this stuff is "messing with his head" as you say, then that's on him. That's the nature of professional baseball. There's conversations that happen. Now if Barria was called up and told by Maddon "you're now in the rotation going forward" and THEN gets sent down, then you might have a point. But I sincerely doubt that happened. And even if it did, things change and I'm sure that would have been communicated to Barria. 

It's obvious the team doesn't see in him what you do. But he has 5 years of control left if you count this year. His time will come.

I just answered it with Stradling.  I can recognize a player being fucked with.  I earned a living off of it.  Barria deserved a spot in the rotation after 2018  He got demoted as they for a pitcher who performed a lot worse than him.

He should have been given a starting spot after 2020.  He was demoted again.  Once again they brought in pitchers who sucked.

I would keep my mouth shut if the pitchers the give preference to was worth a damn.

If his head doesn't get permanently screwed up he will go in to be a solid pitcher.

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am tired of arguing with you.  I have been around sports enough to see an athletic getting screwed with.  In fact I made a living off of those type of players as reclamation projects.

Barria should earned a starting spot off of his 2018 performance.

He should have been giving a rotation spot after 2020.

They do not have confidence him and obviously you do.  I can tell you I win a lot of basketball games taking players that "weren't " good enough on previous teams.

I know how know how to recognize a player being fuckef over.

And you know how to make a player a victim, at least one specific player. 

Just now, Stradling said:

And you know how to make a player a victim, at least one specific player. 

Like I earned a living with rejects from other teams whose coaches screwed them over.

So I can recognize when it's happening.  If our pitching staff was worth a shit I wouldnt say anything.

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Like I earned a living with rejects from other teams whose coaches screwed them over.

So I can recognize when it's happening.  If our pitching staff was worth a shit I wouldnt say anything.

you're kinda beating a dead horse though.  I'm pretty sure we're all aware of where you stand in relation to Barria.  You're making this your Glaus 2.0.  

6 hours ago, stormngt said:

And that is what confuses me.

ERA+ 123 in 2018.  He ends up demoted back to AAA.  

ERA+ 130 in 2020.

Yet he is demoted to AAA.  Both Sandavol and Suerez (both players with weaker track records given chances to start).  Twice called up this year and demoted without seeing any action.

It's obvious they do not have confidence in him.  They should trade or rekease him.

Release him? Why in the hell would they do that? I am sure they see him as depth at the very least - obviously not to the extent you wish but it's not like they don't value him at all.

10 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I save money on resigning Heaney or Cobb and put in Detmers and Barria. 

they would probably be okay with barria full time, but i'd like to remind you of the great jo adell experiment in 2020 and how splendidly well that turned out. let's give detmers a full year in the minors first.