• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can you fix stuff?

I'm not nearly a man and can fix nothing but that doesn't stop my wife and mother in law from asking me to fix everything that breaks. I usually figure it out in a few hours but I'm sure most things should take 10-15 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Adam said:

I'm not nearly a man and can fix nothing but that doesn't stop my wife and mother in law from asking me to fix everything that breaks. I usually figure it out in a few hours but I'm sure most things should take 10-15 minutes. 

I was in your shoes 15 years ago Adam, but over the years I got better and better. I can fix all things technology based or with electronics but absolutely sucked in general home improvements and repairs. 

YouTube is also your best friend, @Adam. There's literally a video How To on everything there. 

Since buying my own place I've definitely gotten better.  I have a knack for doing some things wrong or the long way the first time around but from there learn how to do it right.  Projects I wouldn't have thought about tackling years ago I now have no problem doing myself or at last attempting to.  Certain projects I'll definitely leave to the pros but like Chuck said youtube is great for learning how to fix or replace things in your house. 

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

YouTube is also your best friend, @Adam. There's literally a video How To on everything there. 

That's the truth.  Youtube has made me into a regular handiman now.  Anything around the house, I've done with help from some youtube person.  Lately been tinkering with car stuff, which is a lot of fun.  Sure it still takes me a few hours, and a lot of swear words are used in addition to a lot of banging stuff around.  But it gets done.  

I do just about everything myself through YouTube and Google unless I feel like I’ll do more damage or cost more to fix my error than just hiring someone the first time.

For everything I do fix or do myself, I still won’t hang a TV on a wall as I already see myself missing the stud or it just falling off.

13 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

That's the truth.  Youtube has made me into a regular handiman now.  Anything around the house, I've done with help from some youtube person.  Lately been tinkering with car stuff, which is a lot of fun.  Sure it still takes me a few hours, and a lot of swear words are used in addition to a lot of banging stuff around.  But it gets done.  

In case you aren't aware,  there are videos that can teach you how to spell handyman.

I'm ok at fixing things but as I get older, getting under the sink has lost some of its appeal. This house we bought a few years ago was new. The previous house we lived in was 50 years old. Makes a difference.

I'm pretty good on anything electrical but I suck at carpentry and I'm not a very good painter, either.

Back in the day I used to work on cars but now I just take them in. My wife has a new Outback Turbo and I don't want anything to do with it. I'll pay Goodyear to change the oil and rotate the tires.

I have used YouTube to show me how to fix some things, like our old Prius trunk button failed and I replaced that.

Garage doors, hate 'em. I just call a guy out. Here we have the roll-up doors but they have a ton of wood paneling on the outside so they're really heavy. Also you have to stain the wood every couple of years. Pain in the ass.

Any of you guys who are electricians, or plumbers, carpenters, etc. should consider moving to Idaho.

Also landscaping. My god you wouldn't believe the demand for guys who can mow lawns. I'm still working full time so I have limited time for yardwork. I try to keep up with the fertilizing, trimming etc. but I pay somebody to come and mow each week. The last guy I had mowing my yard charged me $55 each time he came, and he was usually here for about 15 minutes. He had a helper though. So he quit, because somebody down the street let him go and it was no longer worth his while to come out to my neighborhood. It wasn't hard to find a replacement but this one guy who I like couldn't take the job. He's having trouble finding guys to work.

Of course the lawn-mowing gig is seasonal, so you have to find something else from like November to March. Or just charge people through the nose and ski all winter.

i can fix a reasonable amount of simple things. i don't work on major things because we rent and our landlord has a handyman to come in and fix the larger things. in the month they fixed our toilets, replaced the water heater, and replaced the bathroom floor.

i can take care of the lawn and yard stuff, but we have a gardner that's part of our rental agreement, so i don't have to.

the tank men are historically awful at automotive things. that gene is buried beneath a lot of other things, mostly books, sports collectibles, and remnants of a six-pack of pumpkin beer.

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

Come on over any time and I'll teach how to change oil on a Spitfire. 

Changing the oil and filter = 1 hour

Fixing the other 63 things that will inevitably also need to be repaired so that the oil change will be useful = timeless

On 6/17/2021 at 6:04 PM, Jay said:

I'm ok at fixing things but as I get older, getting under the sink has lost some of its appeal. This house we bought a few years ago was new. The previous house we lived in was 50 years old. Makes a difference.

I'm pretty good on anything electrical but I suck at carpentry and I'm not a very good painter, either.

Back in the day I used to work on cars but now I just take them in. My wife has a new Outback Turbo and I don't want anything to do with it. I'll pay Goodyear to change the oil and rotate the tires.

I have used YouTube to show me how to fix some things, like our old Prius trunk button failed and I replaced that.

Garage doors, hate 'em. I just call a guy out. Here we have the roll-up doors but they have a ton of wood paneling on the outside so they're really heavy. Also you have to stain the wood every couple of years. Pain in the ass.

Any of you guys who are electricians, or plumbers, carpenters, etc. should consider moving to Idaho.

Also landscaping. My god you wouldn't believe the demand for guys who can mow lawns. I'm still working full time so I have limited time for yardwork. I try to keep up with the fertilizing, trimming etc. but I pay somebody to come and mow each week. The last guy I had mowing my yard charged me $55 each time he came, and he was usually here for about 15 minutes. He had a helper though. So he quit, because somebody down the street let him go and it was no longer worth his while to come out to my neighborhood. It wasn't hard to find a replacement but this one guy who I like couldn't take the job. He's having trouble finding guys to work.

Of course the lawn-mowing gig is seasonal, so you have to find something else from like November to March. Or just charge people through the nose and ski all winter.

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF