• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Call It A Season - Use The DL - Think About The Future

Eric

With all of the Angels suffering from injuries that are affecting their play, and with virtually no hope of making the playoff's this year, the Angels should make copious use of the DL, allow the Angels that are hurting to rest and recuperate themselves now instead of risking further and greater injury this season, start using the trade market to restock the farm system, and begin planning for how to approach the off-season, next season, and going forward.

This should give them a jump on the obvious and much needed retooling this organization needs to undergo right now and could enable the Angels to return to the playoff's by 2015 instead of 2016 if they wait.

There are obviously a few players that the Angels can not/will not/should not move (Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Jared Weaver, Mike Trout).  Everyone else should be considered expendable and used to re-build this franchise.

The sooner, the better.

I hoping that scenario or something similar is at least on the table. Clearly the plan over the last three years has not been working and if they wait to long hoping for it to work this could turn into a disaster that takes years to recover from.

I don't think Trumbo is expendable.

If the team were to decide to tear it down and start over(which I don't think is likely), he is, IMO.

In that scenario, by the time the team is competitive again, Trumbo's peak has likely come and gone and they're probably better off trading him now.

But like I said, I don't expect that vast a rebuild, really. Whether we like it or not.

With all of the Angels suffering from injuries that are affecting their play, and with virtually no hope of making the playoff's this year, the Angels should make copious use of the DL, allow the Angels that are hurting to rest and recuperate themselves now instead of risking further and greater injury this season, start using the trade market to restock the farm system, and begin planning for how to approach the off-season, next season, and going forward.

This should give them a jump on the obvious and much needed retooling this organization needs to undergo right now and could enable the Angels to return to the playoff's by 2015 instead of 2016 if they wait.

There are obviously a few players that the Angels can not/will not/should not move (Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Jared Weaver, Mike Trout).  Everyone else should be considered expendable and used to re-build this franchise.

The sooner, the better.

Hi Eric,

I don't think you realize that this was the plan. This is the core group of players for this season and at least next season.

Pujols, Hamilton, Trout, Weaver, Wilson, Aybar, Kendrick, Trumbo, and Bourjos either have such large contracts that they are essentially unmoveable at this time or are pre-arbitration and/or signed to team-friendly extensions that it would not make a lot of sense to move them.

This is made moreso by the fact that we do not have any ready replacements in our farm system, at this time, to replace their production.

There is a plan and it was to build a core group of players through free agency and extensions now (this plan started nearly two years ago), forego our first round draft picks (because the last two drafts, including this year, were projected as having a "weak" class of players), and then really make a rebuilding effort starting with next years draft.

I think this is pretty much what we are stuck with for the time being. You could trade Kendrick or Aybar for instance but who do we replace them with? I like Romine's defense but his bat is light. I don't think Lindsey is ready yet on the farm to handle a big league job next year as a possible replacement for Kendrick.

They could trade Trumbo or Bourjos but it just seems like we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot for the most part by doing that as they are both good young cost-controlled players, which is exactly the type we need to build around?

What we really need to do is trade Pujols or Hamilton but that ain't happening and we'd have to eat money, AGAIN, and I just think that we are caught in a tightly woven web.

Pujols is refusing to go on the DL. He is petrified of the "lost year", and his legacy. Hamilton has no injury other than a mysterious drop in weight and talent.

The irony is, the 3 months and 12-15 HRs he loses could be made up and then some with better production the next few seasons, if he finally gets the PF issue fixed via surgery.

Pujols is refusing to go on the DL. He is petrified of the "lost year", and his legacy. Hamilton has no injury other than a mysterious drop in weight and talent.

This new Pujols theory is pretty dumb. It's either this or he just wants to play to get the home run title. Both are complete BS, but there are fans who feel butthurt and want to believe this is the case.

If the team were to decide to tear it down and start over(which I don't think is likely), he is, IMO.

In that scenario, by the time the team is competitive again, Trumbo's peak has likely come and gone and they're probably better off trading him now.

But like I said, I don't expect that vast a rebuild, really. Whether we like it or not.

If a team were to decide to tear it down and start over, then Trout is expendable.  And he will bring the pieces in which you can be successful at a start over.  

Because if you rebuild now, which could take fully from 4-10 years considering what we have currently on the farm, no way does he stick around past his 4 years left.