• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aybar and Kendrick

I give Kendrick as much crap as anyone but this is an odd time to make this thread. He leads the team in Avg and has a respectable OPS.

He is by no means great but he is better than average. And his contract is as team friendly as it gets.

the timing is part of the point - because of his high .avg right now, and the general suckiness of most of our other hitters, I think a lot of people are fooled into thinking he's a much more valuable player than he really is. (had I posted in this 2 weeks from now when he's mired in a 1-23 slump, people would have just accused me of pointing out the obvious).

exactly the opposite of my point. They DO suck, but I'm not advocating replacing them with high priced FAs like Cano.  I'm saying that there would be little drop-off between them and higher-IQ replacement players making league minimum, and they could have been flipped for help in areas of greater need.

People are arguing that they give good value for the money and I'm saying we don't need to be spending ANY money (beyond league minimum or close to it) for players that aren't that valuable once you factor in their boneheaded style of play.  And just as importantly, locking guys like that up in long-term contracts just limits the team's options down the road.

And what the people who are disagreeing with you are saying is that you're either understating the value of Aybar and Kendrick despite their flaws or overstating how easy it would be to find players who would give you little drop-off from Aybar or Kendrick's performance.

are morons. We all applauded their extensions because they seemed like relative bargains, but in reality, committing years and money to players like that is a big mistake and can hurt you in many ways, like leaving a prospect with no place to play and forcing the team to trade him (e.g. Segura).  

Neither one of them has any type of approach at the plate, they just go up there hacking in every situation.  Case in point, last night after a 3 hour rain delay, Erick Aybar swings at the very first pitch he sees from Hunter and makes an easy out.  Even Victor and Gubi couldn't hide their disbelief on the air.  They also make bone-headed errors in the field on routine plays.  They're just not the kind of players you win with, IMO.  Lots of talent, usually put up good numbers, but always find a way to hurt the team in small ways.  Death by a thousand paper cuts style.

My point is, we all point the finger at Pujols and Hamilton and say they were awful signings - well, sometimes it's the lower cost signings that hurt you just as much.

WTF? isn't howie like top 10 in average and hits? whatcha smokin?

And I still don't think trading Segura was the problem, as much as trading Segura for a rental was. If we managed to get a top tier pitching prospect for Segura like the Reds did for Didi Gregorious, I would have been fine with that.

Good Point!

exactly the opposite of my point. They DO suck, but I'm not advocating replacing them with high priced FAs like Cano.  I'm saying that there would be little drop-off between them and higher-IQ replacement players making league minimum, and they could have been flipped for help in areas of greater need.

People are arguing that they give good value for the money and I'm saying we don't need to be spending ANY money (beyond league minimum or close to it) for players that aren't that valuable once you factor in their boneheaded style of play.  And just as importantly, locking guys like that up in long-term contracts just limits the team's options down the road.

My bad, i didn't realize i needed to say "sarcasm on". I can guarantee we would regret it for years if we traded those two guys.  Good middle infielders don't just come around everyday

I can see both sides of the argument. Howie is one of the best hitters on the team, but when he comes up with a runner on first I can predict what will happen next.  Forget RISP, what's his average with a runner on 1B?  It's frustrating as hell to keep predicting he'll GIDP and ending up being right almost every time.  Like somebody else said, I'm to the point I'd rather see him bunt than swing away.  

I can see both sides of the argument. Howie is one of the best hitters on the team, but when he comes up with a runner on first I can predict what will happen next.  Forget RISP, what's his average with a runner on 1B?  It's frustrating as hell to keep predicting he'll GIDP and ending up being right almost every time.  Like somebody else said, I'm to the point I'd rather see him bunt than swing away.  

Runner on first:

.228 .241 .263 .505

Runner on second:

.238 .333 .571 .905

Runner on third:

.167 .167 .667 .833

First and second:

.538 .571 .769 1.341

First and third:

.500 .500 1.000 1.500

Second and third:

.200 .333 .200 .533

Loaded:

.125 .125 .125 .250

runner on first? just throw him a breaking ball and watch him roll over. its beyond tired. for the life of me, i can't understand why this guy ever sees a fastball.

So you're completely ignoring the fact that he has hit quite well in that situation? 

Kendrick sucks, dawg.  He only leads the team in BA, second in OBP and third in OPS.  Second among all AL 2b in BA, second among AL 2b in HR, third among AL 2b in RBI.

You people need to get it through your heads that Howie doesn't suck.

I just have a hard time remembering that when I see him have one of those bad games, which usually coincide with when I watch. 

Kendrick sucks, dawg.  He only leads the team in BA, second in OBP and third in OPS.  Second among all AL 2b in BA, second among AL 2b in HR, third among AL 2b in RBI.

You people need to get it through your heads that Howie doesn't suck.

But he's not a winning player(apparently) and he grounds into too many double plays.  :rolleyes: