• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Brief (Recent) History of the Angels at the Deadline

4 hours ago, True Grich said:

I would like to file a formal complaint.

The title of this thread is "a brief history," and the original post is longer than the Angels playoff drought.

There's always one guy, and that guy is often True Grich. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

But Upton came over at the deadline to get us over the hump and get us a wild card.  Once we acquired him he was our best hitter down the stretch, but as we all know it wasn’t enough.  

So the trade made sense, and was well conceived. But the contract hasn't worked out so well. But it isn't a Pujolsian or Hamiltonian catastrope. If Upton finishes around 3 WAR, and say produces around 2 WAR next year, that will be about 7 WAR total over 5 years and $106M. That's money poorly spent, but not as bad as the other two.

The good news is that Upton has returned to his 2018 form. Not his peak form, but he's had a tendency to oscillate from "above average" to "very good." At least he's in the above average range again.

It will be even better news if the Angels manage to trade him before next season, but I'm not banking on it.

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

There's always one guy, and that guy is often True Grich. 

It's just so easy to give you a hard time.

All in good fun, AJ.  All in good fun.

The amazing part of this list is just how often this team has been right around .500 at the deadline. It almost feels like every year is pretty much exactly the same. Disappointing start, into a hot streak that puts the team nearly into contention at the deadline, followed by a collapse in the second half, and a run the last few weeks of the season to drop a few spots in the draft and leave us optimistic for next year.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The amazing part of this list is just how often this team has been right around .500 at the deadline. It almost feels like every year is pretty much exactly the same. Disappointing start, into a hot streak that puts the team nearly into contention at the deadline, followed by a collapse in the second half, and a run the last few weeks of the season to drop a few spots in the draft and leave us optimistic for next year.

It’s Trading Deadline Day!!!

45 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

The Upton detractors need to remember these names....

Maybin

Marte

Revere

Shuck

Navarro

Ibanez 

Hamilton

Joyce

Murphy

Victorino 

I like Upton, really enjoy his hot streaks and I love what he's doing from lead-off, I root for the guy, but in the cold light of day improving from the revolving door you posted to the occasional hot streak alongside lots of time out injured and an average around 1 WAR per season for $100 million is still a bad trade. 

39 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

I like Upton, really enjoy his hot streaks and I love what he's doing from lead-off, I root for the guy, but in the cold light of day improving from the revolving door you posted to the occasional hot streak alongside lots of time out injured and an average around 1 WAR per season for $100 million is still a bad trade. 

It was actually a good trade.

It was the contract extension that they gave him that was the mistake.

43 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

What are the chances that they would have better spent that money?  I think it is closer to zero than one hundred.  In which case the team probably still has a subpar left fielder.  Upton has allowed the team to bridge to the prospects while providing a +WAR.

12 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

What are the chances that they would have better spent that money?  I think it is closer to zero than one hundred.  In which case the team probably still has a subpar left fielder.  Upton has allowed the team to bridge to the prospects while providing a +WAR.

Upton has provided total of -1.4 FG WAR in the last 4 years.

Not sure what you are looking at.

2 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Just going by what AJ posted earlier in this thread.

Actually I was mistaken on Upton.

It's been last three years not last four years that he has been bad.

Justin Upton trade was a good trade for the team, it was just a mistake to give him an extension.

Team would be better off letting him sign elsewhere after it expired.

17 minutes ago, cals said:

Except for his notably bad baserunning.

Rivera wasn't very good.  It was exactly the right time to trade him.  The problem is that they did it for Wells which might be one of the worst transactions in the history of baseball.  If there were a top 10 list of worst baseball moves ever, the Angels probably accomplished 3 of them in a 3 year span.