• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I dislike Maddon, but...

I think that Maddon does a lot when it comes to helping hitters and building a clubhouse. Walsh said he was a big factor in helping him rework his swing and then showed a lot of trust in him, making sure he was in the lineup everyday to finish last year. He was even so bold as to bat him second which really couldn't have worked better. 

Why he's batting sixth now, I couldn't tell you. 

And Maddon deserves credit for unleashing Ohtani the way he has. No restrictions, just flexibility. Without Maddon, I doubt we'd EVER get the opportunity to see him hit and pitch in the same game outside of interleague play. Furthermore, seeing Ohtani steal bases and play the outfield, yeah, that's Maddon too. He's a quirky dude and Ohtani is the exact sort of unicorn that only Maddon would unleash without any regard for potential injury. 

And moving Upton to leadoff seems to have worked. Fletcher to ninth as well. Can't say I love his decision to bat guys like Iglesias cleanup, but whatever. 

The area where you really need to protect Maddon from himself is the bullpen. He's a lot like Scioscia in that regard. If there's a wrong choice to make, he's likely going to make it. So as a GM, you just need to attack the bullpen with 7 awesome freakin' options so that he can't fail. 

Again, as I've said all along. Maddon's a good manager, but he isn't a wizard.

He won't take a last place team in terms of talent and turn them into world champions. But he can steward a good team to a good record while maintaining a tight knit clubhouse. And that's really all you can ask for. 

The shortcomings during Maddon's tenure as an Angel largely fall on the shoulders of the GM, in my opinion. 

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think that Maddon does a lot when it comes to helping hitters and building a clubhouse. Walsh said he was a big factor in helping him rework his swing and then showed a lot of trust in him, making sure he was in the lineup everyday to finish last year. He was even so bold as to bat him second which really couldn't have worked better. 

Why he's batting sixth now, I couldn't tell you. 

And Maddon deserves credit for unleashing Ohtani the way he has. No restrictions, just flexibility. Without Maddon, I doubt we'd EVER get the opportunity to see him hit and pitch in the same game outside of interleague play. Furthermore, seeing Ohtani steal bases and play the outfield, yeah, that's Maddon too. He's a quirky dude and Ohtani is the exact sort of unicorn that only Maddon would unleash without any regard for potential injury. 

And moving Upton to leadoff seems to have worked. Fletcher to ninth as well. Can't say I love his decision to bat guys like Iglesias cleanup, but whatever. 

The area where you really need to protect Maddon from himself is the bullpen. He's a lot like Scioscia in that regard. If there's a wrong choice to make, he's likely going to make it. So as a GM, you just need to attack the bullpen with 7 awesome freakin' options so that he can't fail. 

Again, as I've said all along. Maddon's a good manager, but he isn't a wizard.

He won't take a last place team in terms of talent and turn them into world champions. But he can steward a good team to a good record while maintaining a tight knit clubhouse. And that's really all you can ask for. 

The shortcomings during Maddon's tenure as an Angel largely fall on the shoulders of the GM, in my opinion. 

And the owner 

Last night Keon Wong made a spectacular play robbing a home run from the Royals. Every play he was involved in he performed like he understood his position. In the 9th Maddon replaced him with Taylor Ward who isn't a right fielder by trade, just a backup. Who does this kind of fuckery?

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Last night Keon Wong made a spectacular play robbing a home run from the Royals. Every play he was involved in he performed like he understood his position. In the 9th Maddon replaced him with Taylor Ward who isn't a right fielder by trade, just a backup. Who does this kind of fuckery?

Men who bat Upton leadoff and let a young pitcher warm up too long so he's unavailable to pitch the next game.

You know, geniouses.

18 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Moves to make moves...   

4 minutes ago, cals said:

Since I am a real man (of real man height) and not part of the “hey Taylor let’s block this attractive AW poster while we tickle each others balls!” crew, I will admit I was wrong about J-Up at leadoff.  Maddon is like the slump whisperer.  I don’t understand why it worked, but fuck it.  Good job.

you would tickle Maddon's balls if you had access to them.  Admit it.  

23 minutes ago, cals said:

That got me laughing.  Being critical really can make you look like a dumb shit.  I’ve admitted the J-Up thing.  

A few weeks ago one of the borderline homos on here was going full queen/bitch critical on Maddon and then @Jeff Fletcher put him in his place.  While it was hilarious and had to have been humiliating for this individual, it’s a great teaching moment.  Let’s defer judgment and admit we all probably aren’t as smart baseball wise as those paid to make the decisions.  

I’ve sure learned my lesson!

Who was the bitch

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

.333/.425/.589 in 106 PA's. Interestingly, he's walking more and striking out less. 

His BABIP during this stretch is .424 so it's nowhere near sustainable, but I don't think anyone actually expected that. 

But it's good to see him hitting well. His overall numbers are exactly where they have been his entire career.