• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

10 day suspensions coming for all pitchers caught using sticky substances

mmc

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

It will be interesting to see the effects of this on pitcher more stats wise and injury. 

regarding Glasnow, he had forearm strain in 2019, which usually leads to TJ. Verlander had TJ and he has been know to use foreign substance with Astros. 

it's really something to see thses pitchers throwing a tantrum now

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

this is my biggest issue.  give guys a little time to experiment with the way they used to throw stuff and how they need to on a go forward without worrying about if they're gonna hit a guy in the back of the head with their splitter.  It's amazing how little foresight mlb has.  

The lack of foresight goes al the way around here. Pitchers, pitching coaches, agents, etc, who didn't see this coming were living in a happy bubble of obliviousness. Spin rate and increased strikeouts has been the primary talk for a while now. Just like with steroids neither side was willing to acknowledge the problem and look for mutual solutions so the knee jerk was inevitable. And maybe I missed it but I never heard a complaint about how slick the ball is until now.

So you can argue that the decision was short-sighted but then so was the action that led to it

4 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The lack of foresight goes al the way around here. Pitchers, pitching coaches, agents, etc, who didn't see this coming were living in a happy bubble of obliviousness. Spin rate and increased strikeouts has been the primary talk for a while now. Just like with steroids neither side was willing to acknowledge the problem and look for mutual solutions so the knee jerk was inevitable. And maybe I missed it but I never heard a complaint about how slick the ball is until now.

So you can argue that the decision was short-sighted but then so was the action that led to it

This surprises me.  I thought it was pretty much common knowledge the ball was too slick. I’ve heard that hitters didn’t really care if they were using grip enhancers because having better control helped protect the hitter. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This surprises me.  I thought it was pretty much common knowledge the ball was too slick. I’ve heard that hitters didn’t really care if they were using grip enhancers because having better control helped protect the hitter. 

Too slick for what? And the issue seems to be that they went past grip enhancer all the way to spin multiplier

7 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Too slick for what? And the issue seems to be that they went past grip enhancer all the way to spin multiplier

Too slick to control and yes it went too far, that’s the entire point.
Read the Alex Cobb article in this thread. read what he says about MLB baseballs and Japans baseballs. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Too slick to control and yes it went too far, that’s the entire point.
Read the Alex Cobb article in this thread. read what he says about MLB baseballs and Japans baseballs. 

Too slick is relative. Remember when Nolan Ryan used to shave off his fingerprints to decrease the friction? Or Gaylord Perry greasing it up to decrease spin? Now they want to increase spin and pitch differently. I'm just wondering if the ball actually changed or the pitchers changed and how they conveniently landed on illegal methods to add tackiness. This is the pitcher equivalent of a corked bat.

I don't want to pretend that useless asshat in the commissioner's office is blameless. Just too busy destroying minor league baseball to notice that his own league is a chocolaty mess. But you can't consider pitchers who were blatantly violating a well-established rule blameless either

7 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Too slick is relative. Remember when Nolan Ryan used to shave off his fingerprints to decrease the friction? Or Gaylord Perry greasing it up to decrease spin? Now they want to increase spin and pitch differently. I'm just wondering if the ball actually changed or the pitchers changed and how they conveniently landed on illegal methods to add tackiness. This is the pitcher equivalent of a corked bat.

I don't want to pretend that useless asshat in the commissioner's office is blameless. Just too busy destroying minor league baseball to notice that his own league is a chocolaty mess. But you can't consider pitchers who were blatantly violating a well-established rule blameless either

I don’t consider them blameless. At the same time it certainly seems like guys have been using something to get a better grip for a very long time. Then at some point, my guess is in the last decade, it went from a grip enhancer to a performance enhancer.  I can pretty much guarantee even guys like Ryan did something to improve grip. 

Will Middlebrooks, who was a decent enough player has dozens of tweets the last couple of days about how slick the balls are. There’s also a Lou Merloni tweet suggesting that sunscreen and rosin doesn’t improve spin rate and says MLB has already done scientific research proving that’s the case. 

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The league isn't banning anything. the league is enforcing a ban that's existed all along. If it didn't give pitchers an advantage then why do they do it?

Because the ball was to slick to grip and control.  

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Because the ball was to slick to grip and control.  

That is not true at all.

Because it gives them more bite on their pitches which means more movement. It is not like the ball is slipping out of their hand otherwise.