• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Red Sox 5/16/2021: Fletcher out, Rojas leading off

1 minute ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I don’t think anyone is questioning the talent of players Maddon has to work with. The talent is lacking, especially in the BP. But the coaching decisions he’s made have been down right terrible

If the players are lacking in talent, how do you know whether a decision is terrible?

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Never forget that Arte employs like 8 scouts and Dodgers employ 80.  From what I’ve seen commented on from guys at like Baseball prospectus and Baseball America. The Angels still haven’t committed the resources necessary to install the development infrastructure that the good teams in baseball have.  This also impacts what they get out of guys at the major league level.  I really believe that the Angels problems are rooted there.  

You may want to look at who Minasian brought in. You wouldn’t bring those guys in and then ignore scouting. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Boston was one of the worst teams in the league and few years ago and they had a horrible farm system.  Somehow they’ve turned it around and the Angels seem exactly the same shitty as they’ve been for 4 or 5 years.  I blame Arte.  

same with a bunch of other teams like the giants and royals etc.   The giants hire Zaidi and Arte hires Minasian and Maddon.   

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok and who chose to start him? 

That’s the problem. Eppler, Minassian and Artie have created and sustained a team that good teams should beat. And most of the time for the past 8 years, good teams routinely beat the Angels. This is a bad team.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

You may want to look at who Minasian brought in. You wouldn’t bring those guys in and then ignore scouting. 

It’s just not enough though Strad.  Seriously go try and read some of those BP or baseball America chats.  They always say the same stuff about the Angels.  They’re always way behind other teams.  It’s a problem. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s just not enough though Strad.  Seriously go try and read some of those BP or baseball America chats.  They always say the same stuff about the Angels.  They’re always way behind other teams.  It’s a problem. 

So they are saying that nothing has changed with the group Minasian has brought in? 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:15 PM, floplag said:

I am absolutely loving what Joe is putting down and how hes doing it.  I havent been this excited about a manager ever i dont think. 

"Data versus Art" ... perfect. 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:17 PM, zenmaster said:

lol love him

He sure sounds like he knows what he is doing. Love his personality and looking forward to next year.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:19 PM, Chuckster70 said:

He's great!!!!

On 10/24/2019 at 12:26 PM, Billy_Ball said:

Maddon's speech alone is worth the $12 million.  Love the guy.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, floplag said:

Suddenly, im hyped.
So very different, so very straight shooting (when was the last time you heard a manager drop the "pussyfooting" bomb?),  best manager intro ever, exactly what the club needs. 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, Bronson said:

He wants to stay for longer then 3 years. That’s a very good thing. If he rights the ship give him a 5-7 year extension.

On 10/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, Pancake Bear said:

I like Maddon’s approach: Fun and numbers. 

On 10/24/2019 at 4:21 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I'll say this much. If any FA player watched today's press conference they're probably telling their agent to reach out to the Angels to work out a deal.

Who wouldn't want to play for Joe Maddon?

On 10/24/2019 at 10:26 PM, Lhalo said:

Finally got around to watching this. I can’t remember the last time if ever being floored by a baseball press conference. Maddon said all the right things and then some. No wonder the Cubs were holding mock press conferences during their manager interviews. They have to try and find someone who can hold a candle to this guy.
Good luck with that. 

Happy Sunday, everybody.

So they are saying that nothing has changed with the group Minasian has brought in? 

The point is that Minasian has not brought in any scouts. His analytics department is going only off of out of date numbers from two seasons ago in the minors and college. He has 8 scouts. That isn't enough to cover California let alone the entire nation. 

Really?  It seems counter intuitive 

yes if you're doing it right but if you've got an owner who's mentality is to skimp on scouting and player development to fun the major league club then you hire a couple of solid guys at the top and then cut their resources with the expectation that they can work magic.  It is counter intuitive.  The whole process is counter intuitive and has been since Arte has arrived.  Spend money on the big club on flashy signings and ignore the details of how to build.  I would say that you are right about it not making sense, but isn't that what's been happening for the last 10+ years?  

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Never forget that Arte employs like 8 scouts and Dodgers employ 80.  From what I’ve seen commented on from guys at like Baseball prospectus and Baseball America. The Angels still haven’t committed the resources necessary to install the development infrastructure that the good teams in baseball have.  This also impacts what they get out of guys at the major league level.  I really believe that the Angels problems are rooted there.  

This is what I don't get. 

Spending millions on another hitter for 5 minutes of gratification followed by years of disappointment? Totally fine

Spending a fraction of that on scouts and other staff for long term gains? Absolutely not. 

Arte is exactly part of the instant gratification generation that he hates so much

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

The point is that Minasian has not brought in any scouts. His analytics department is going only off of out of date numbers from two seasons ago in the minors and college. He has 8 scouts. That isn't enough to cover California let alone the entire nation. 

Wow.  I just find that hard to believe.