• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers sign Pujols

mmc

6 minutes ago, eligrba said:

For the record,  I'm glad Pujols is gone but disappointed that players like Ward are the only roster replacement options. 

Ward, to me, is pretty much the same offensive player as Pujols right now.  But Ward can at least be passable on defense.

Even given my opinion that Ward is a better use of a roster spot than Pujols, unfortunately I still think Ward sucks.  Maybe unfairly to Ward, I also feel like Ward  personifies a specific problem for the Angels:  Subpar scouting, drafting and developing.

I still don’t see Ward as anything more than a replacement level body that is here because the Angels have nothing better.

So I agree with your post. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'll die on a hill saying that Pujols could still be a pretty productive player if utilized against specific types of pitchers and as a pinch-hitter in specific RISP/clutch situations. If you took away all the other bullshit at-bats that he doesn't deserve to get, he could have something resembling an above-average line. 

Won't be surprised at all if the Dodgers figured out that certain set of parameters and deploy him perfectly. 

Given what happened, don't think it would've worked out like that for the Angels even if they came to the same plan analyzing the same data. 

They deployed him perfectly when he grounded out to left field three times in a single game.  

Well, I don’t think it’s ridiculous that the Dodgers signed him. Pujols is a better option vs. LHP’s than Muncie.

Pujols is also a better option vs. LHP’s than Jared Walsh but maybe Minasian’s plan is to use Gosselin at 1B vs. Lefty’s like they did yesterday. I think Gosselin is a better option than Walsh or Pujols vs. LHP’s. 

2 hours ago, failos said:

This thread is getting ridiculous. Pujols isn't good, and being on the dodgers isn't going to magically make him good.

It has nothing to do with the Dodgers 'magically making him good'...

The Angels were beholden to playing Pujols damn near every day, regardless if it was the contract, respect, lack of better options, whatever. 

If the Dodgers simply take half of those everyday awful at-bats away that the Angels continued giving him, it's not unrealistic to believe that he hits for a better slash in the half of the at-bats they let him keep, based off whatever metrics they have - or that the Angels even had, but didn't use because of reasons back at the top. 

If Pujols' typical 'everyday vs. RHP' slash over the last couple of years comes out to something like .200/.270/.380...
...and his 'RISP/vs. soft-tossing lefties in daylight games' (made that up) slash over the last couple of years is .270/.360/.450...

and the Dodgers use him in about a third of the time the Angels did in the first scenario, he might put up an average-ish slash.

That doesn't mean the Dodgers made him better, it just means they took away a huge portion of the at-bats he sucked in, and it looked better. And it wouldn't be surprising to see that happen.

Edited by totdprods

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It has nothing to do with the Dodgers 'magically making him good'...

The Angels were beholden to playing Pujols damn near every day, regardless if it was the contract, respect, lack of better options, whatever. 

If the Dodgers simply take half of those everyday awful at-bats away that the Angels continued giving him, it's not unrealistic to believe that he hits for a better slash in the half of the at-bats they let him keep, based off whatever metrics they have - or that the Angels even had, but didn't use because of reasons back at the top. 

If Pujols' typical 'everyday vs. RHP' slash over the last couple of years comes out to something like .200/.270/.380...
...and his 'RISP/vs. soft-tossing lefties in daylight games' (made that up) slash over the last couple of years is .270/.360/.450...

and the Dodgers use him in about a third of the time the Angels did in the first scenario, he might put up an average-ish slash.

That doesn't mean the Dodgers made him better, it just means they took away a huge portion of the at-bats he sucked in, and it looked better. And it wouldn't be surprising to see that happen.

No, he just sucks. See:

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

They deployed him perfectly when he grounded out to left field three times in a single game.  

16 minutes ago, failos said:

No, he just sucks. See:

...and? What's that supposed to prove? We already know that. The Angels knew that. The Dodgers know that. 

The Angels played him nearly every day in spite of that. The Dodgers likely won't. That's the difference.

My buddy now texts me after just about every freaking Pujols AB.  He thinks he's funny.  When Pujols got hit by a pitch - he texted - "Veteran move to get HBP to stay out of the DP with the bases loaded"   Another time he texted "big league play by Pujols popping out so he doesn't slow down Smith on his double."

Ok, it's kind of funny.

16 minutes ago, True Grich said:

My buddy now texts me after just about every freaking Pujols AB.  He thinks he's funny.  When Pujols got hit by a pitch - he texted - "Veteran move to get HBP to stay out of the DP with the bases loaded"   Another time he texted "big league play by Pujols popping out so he doesn't slow down Smith on his double."

Ok, it's kind of funny.

If he's a Dodgers fan, it's several deviations above the mean in terms of intelligence and wit. 

3 hours ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Well, I don’t think it’s ridiculous that the Dodgers signed him. Pujols is a better option vs. LHP’s than Muncie.

Pujols is also a better option vs. LHP’s than Jared Walsh but maybe Minasian’s plan is to use Gosselin at 1B vs. Lefty’s like they did yesterday. I think Gosselin is a better option than Walsh or Pujols vs. LHP’s. 

No, he really isn't. All stats below are against LHP only:

Pujols

2018 - .200 BA .674 OPS

2019 - .261 BA .830 OPS

2020 - .231 BA .627 OPS

Muncy

2018 - .255 BA .891 OPS

2019 - .268 BA .893 OPS

2020 - .239 BA .795 OPS

Walsh 

2020 - .324 BA .776 OPS

Small sample size (32 at bats) but Pujols has a higher BA than Walsh this year but trails Muncy's OBP by 140 points.

55 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

A lot of people here will.

i wont. 

he exists as two people in my mind. the HOF cardinal the machine, and angel 1b albert pujols the worst regular in all of mlb.

i've never heard of anything like it. my only explanation is his lying about his age, while knowing there was no way mlb was going to call out the machine on that.