• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Guess what Jeff Mathis is currently hitting

It highlights just how weak the catcher position is in MLB. To be honest, after watching Suzuki drop routine pop-ups, pass balls he should be stopping, and frame strikes out of the zone into balls, I'd rather have Mathis and no bat than Suzuki's terrible D, three double-play outs and sub .300 OBP anaemic bat. But that could be more about me than him.

20 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

It highlights just how weak the catcher position is in MLB. To be honest, after watching Suzuki drop routine pop-ups, pass balls he should be stopping, and frame strikes out of the zone into balls, I'd rather have Mathis and no bat than Suzuki's terrible D, three double-play outs and sub .300 OBP anaemic bat. But that could be more about me than him.

and really always has been.  It's not exclusive to our generation of mlb.  And speaks to the somewhat disposable nature of the position or why teams don't seem to spend a lot of time on the development process for these guys.  Or why there typically isn't a ton of draft or international capital put into this position.  It's either too hard to predict or too damn difficult to make them what they need to be with what is likely a very low return on investment.  When these guys are age 16 to 21, you have no idea whether they're going to be able to do the one immeasurable thing that makes them a good catcher and that's handle a pitching staff.  With all the advanced metrics and info coming from the dugout you'd think they could micromanage that a bit better but they haven't totally figured this out yet which is why guys like Mathis have 14 years of service time.  The subculture of the catcher position in mlb is so interesting to me.