• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021-2022 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

I don't know enough of the pros/cons of the two paths to say. But, my understanding is you go to college if a college education is important to you (Even if you don't finish, you knock out a couple years for later.) or you need more development/physical growth to play at a professional  level.

If he is as good as he looks, I don't see the point of the delay college causes a player.

Another top 10 prospect list.  Ducks are pretty well stacked when you have a guy like Mahura 20 pts, 28 games as a D and Groulx 29 pts 42 games at AHL last season not in the top 10.  Interesting name on the list but not in the top 10, is Brogan Rafferty.  Undrafted guy that was in the Canucks system.  As a Dman, had 45 points in 57 games for the Canucks AHL team in 2019.  Not sure what happened in 2020-2021, as he only shows 1 game played for the Canucks.  

Found an article on what happened, Covid taxi squad.  Might be a diamond we just found.  Oh, and he's a Righty.  Something we really need.

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/06/30/canucks-could-the-team-be-without-brogan-rafferty-next-year/

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/248525/brogan-rafferty

2021-22 Top 10 Anaheim Ducks Prospects

Edited by gotbeer

Canadiens' RFA Jesperi Kotkaniemi Tendered Offer Sheet by Hurricanes

Just thinking out loud here.  But I wonder.  Canadiens reject the offer sheet.  So they get a first and third.  

That leaves them short of centers.  Trade them Henrique for a first and our third back.  Ducks eat $4/$3/$2 million for each of his 3 year of his salary.  So the salary for the Canadians would be $1.85, 2.85 and 3.85.  Although we just might be happy with a first.  

I kind of cringe when various rankings rate the most recent draft picks higher than those of 2-3 years ago. Weren't the drafts of 2-3 years ago supposed to be more talented than the recent draft? It's like saying you don't really have anything special. So, let's overrate the new guys to add some interest.

2 hours ago, deepdrive said:

I kind of cringe when various rankings rate the most recent draft picks higher than those of 2-3 years ago. Weren't the drafts of 2-3 years ago supposed to be more talented than the recent draft? It's like saying you don't really have anything special. So, let's overrate the new guys to add some interest.

I don't know.  2 years ago was Drysdale.  3 years ago was Zegras.  McTavish was the #3 pick, higher than Z or Drysdale.  The rest are high first round, into second, third rounders.  And really just like the Angels.  Prospect rankings are heavier on potential than performance.  So new prospects tend to be rated higher than older prospects that have been in the system for a while.

Of all places.  Information on the Ducks from a Kings podcast.  And some good information, including what might have been offered for Eichel.  And for once, sounds like having BM might be a good thing.  He's looking for a hockey trade, and not what the Sabres are looking for.

https://mayorsmanor.com/2021/09/nhl-radio-replay-mayors-minutes-hoven-on-kings-ducks-and-jack-eichel-update/

On 9/8/2021 at 7:33 AM, gotbeer said:

Lol. You see what you did here. You set the bar for having BM be a good thing at not doing something horrendously stupid. 

This is the problem with letting him continue to hang on. The expectations keep dropping... dropping...

Pretty soon, the guy will just show up to watch a hockey game.

Latest edition of Would you, would they?

What will Kailer Yamamoto's new deal look like with the cap-strapped Oilers?

Would you trade Gibson for Yamamoto and a first?  

Biggest achilles heel of the Oilers and probably what will prevent them from winning it all is goalie.  This would give them a legit goalie for 6 more seasons.  Pretty much giving Conner the shot he deserves.  

For the Ducks, Yamamoto looks like a stud that would be a great wing on the top or second line.  Personally, a Zegras, Comtois, Yamamoto top line makes my pants all warm and fuzzy.  Add in a first, and probably cap filler.  For the Ducks, Stolarz looks good enough to fill a rebuilding season.  But Dostal is going to be the future goalie in a season or two.  

Ah, just a thought to pass the time till the season starts.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:41 PM, arch stanton said:

Yeah it’s frickin criminal to have so much talent on a team and put those 2 stiffs in net behind them. No way to justify not finding a goalie 

Similar to having Mike Trout and the halos starting pitching over the last decade.

8 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Always liked Kesler.  He gave it his all and then some, and that one injury really is what accelerated our demise.  I just hope he gets to the point where he can function again and not be in pain.  

On 8/21/2021 at 5:19 PM, deepdrive said:

I don't know enough of the pros/cons of the two paths to say. But, my understanding is you go to college if a college education is important to you (Even if you don't finish, you knock out a couple years for later.) or you need more development/physical growth to play at a professional  level.

If he is as good as he looks, I don't see the point of the delay college causes a player.

I apologize for the novel. I'm a bit of a hockey nerd, so this hit me right in the sweet spot.

This is only partially true. American prospects have a few options following their draft year: 1) college 2) OHL (Europe is obviously another option, but that hasn't been a popular choice for most outside of Matthews). 

Many of the best American born players chose option 1, played one year, and then went pro; players like Eichel, Gaudreau, Makar (he played at UMass for 2 years), etc. fall into this category. I'd say the primary driver to choose the NCAA route for most players who were drafted/NHL prospects is a lack of overall size and/or strength. Their schedule is far less taxing/time consuming. Games are usually played back to back over on the weekends, and the regular season consists of anywhere from 35-40 games. This gives the player more time to get bigger, stronger, etc.

The CHL is the prevalent league(s), consisting of the OHL, WHL, and QJMHL, for prospects in Canada. The demos of this league skew heavy Canadian, but players more and more players from Europe have been coming over in recent years. The CHL has by far the most drafted players out of any North American league in part because they simply have a much larger talent pool (for both players and coaching). These leagues have a more arduous schedule where teams play 68 regular season games with additional playoff series for teams that qualify. Obviously, a longer season with more traveling would make it more difficult for players to train in season. A couple important things to note for prospects that play in the CHL: 1) if you play in the CHL, then you will be ineligible to play in the NCAA and 2) the CHL and NHL have an agreement that if you played in the CHL for your draft year, then you are prohibited from playing in the AHL until your age 20 season. The NCAA and professional European leagues do not have that same stipulation.

The Europe route is far less common mainly because most draft eligible prospects just aren't physically developed enough to play over there. The KHL, SHL, and even the National League (Switzerlands pro league where McTavish played last year) all employ men, some of whom formerly played in the NHL. While the players drafted in the first round may have more skill than most of those professional players, that skill doesn't outweigh the sheer size and speed difference that the professional players have. 

Basically it comes down to a two, main different factors.

1. Nationality: Are you American? If so, you'll most likely be going down the USNDT > USHL > NCAA route. If you're Canadian, then you're looking at one of the CHL leagues.
  2. Maturity (in terms of body development and overall skill): the bigger and better you are, the more likely that you would choose the OHL or, in rare instances, a professional European league.